Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was just reading an article that the Abarth on the fiat500usa.com website that a six speed dry clutch DDC or DDCT transmission maybe in the works. Oh well I'll slug it out with the rest of you with first car here in the U.S. and the five speed transmission (sigh). Of course I lost it and had to throw up in my mouth just a little bit when I read that the first plant to build the transmission will be China in.

"This cutting edge transmission is spec'd out for cars larger than the Fiat 500, however, there are two smaller DDC transmissions developed by Fiat Powertrain Technologies that could fit the Fiat 500, as well as other A and B segment cars.

The first is a seven speed DDC transmission with a torque capacity of up to 140lbs.ft. (190Nm). This is suitable for Fiat 500 models with TwinAir, 1.2 liter, 1.4 liter and 1.3 liter MultiJet engines, plus the NAFTA Fiat 500 if Fiat so desires (the NAFTA 500 is available with an Aisin manufactured, conventional 6 speed, torque converter equipped auto trans).

The other DDC transmission is called the C625 TCT. This unit has a much higher torque capacity of between 148-184 lb.-ft. (200-250 Nm) and would be ideally suited for the US Fiat 500 Abarth's 170 lb.-ft (231Nm) torque rating. So far, there has been no mention of any future transmission options available for the Fiat 500 Abarth, but keep this info in mind.

Not much has surfaced about these smaller DDC transmissions other than the story I did back in June 2010 and in a few postings mainly on Italian sites, however there was a brief announcement in Automotive News last summer saying that Fiat will begin building DDC transmissions in China in 2013".

Sounds like a winner though!

hartmn

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd guess it's just a matter of time. the reason we didn't get them is the additional crash structure added for the US cars meant the 6-speed tranmissions didn't fit anymore. FIAT seems to be leaning towards making all the 500s match the US versions, which means they have to work it out anyway to prevent ticking off their European customer base.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Transmissions define engines. A wimpy engine or a engine with short torq. range gets a lot of gears.
I dont have all the numbers..but i am think ..maybe a taller gear for or over drive for at 80 MPH might be a fuel savings

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Traditionally, the Fiat 500 Abarth has had a manual transmission, but as the company is looking to expand its customer base, the Abarth will soon offer an
automatic transmission
. As of now, men make up 80 percent of the hatchback buyers, and with the addition of the new Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio, the automaker plans to bring in more female buyers.

Right now the Fiat 500 is offered with many packages and powertrain options, such as Gucci trims, Turbo models, and an upcoming battery-electric model. Tim Kuniskis, Fiat’s North American president told WardsAuto that “I think when we’ll see more women is when we have the automatic, and we’re planning to add the automatic in the Abarth at some point, only because we’re getting that feedback from customers.”
Thanks to the marketing of the Fiat 500 Abarth that features Charlie Sheen and attractive models, the
hatchback
has been pushed to the male audience over women. With the popularity of the Abarth on the rise, Fiat has steadily increased sales of non-performance models thanks to a commercial featuring Jennifer Lopez. “Everybody knows J.Lo. She absolutely put us on the map,” commented Kuniskis.

In the US, only 45 percent of small
car
buyers are women, compared to the 75 percent in Europe. At first, the discussion to add the automatic transmission was a cause for questioning, but as there are consumer requests for it, the automaker is no longer opposed to the idea. Also, the Fiat 500L will soon hit showroom floors, offering up many of the Fiat 500′s styling cues. just with a longer wheelbase and seating for five, further appealing to female buyers.

Source: WardsAuto

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Afterburn 549,

I was just poking around this website today when what do I find to my surprise? A response to a post I made last year! I guess my comment today is I will need to trade my Abarth in for an automatic. Besides, it has 2,300 miles on it now, and is getting tired and old like me:) I wonder what modifications Fiat will need to do to the Abarth's frame? It seemed the problem or one of them any way the first time a round was It didn't fit because the frame had to be reinforced for the US automotive market (crash test), and the automatic that Fiat had planned no longer fit. I think I may need to have my tires rotated for the first time by the time the first automatic Abarth's will be in the show room. It sounds like a good reason to make an appointment with the Fiat dealer when they do, "oh honey" come take a look at this car in the show room while we wait for our tires to be swapped around! I know there are a bunch of folks here the disagree with driving an automatic vs. stick shift. I'm tried of shifting cars, and buying clutches, throw out bearings, pressure plates and labor. Question? When will the automatic ALL wheel drive monster be released, or unleashed on the us market! Paddle shifters and automatic transmission with a six speed here we go! Did I mention that the Abarth's current five speed needs to be a six speed manual? As it runs out of steam in the top end of the gear range to me and I want to grab another gear. But there isn't one! The Fiat Abarth's should have been made at very least with a six speed manual because it really needs the sixth gear on the highway! It makes me kind of crazy on the freeway as it reminds me of my BMW days mid 1970's of five speed manuals that petered out on the top end. Bring on the six speed automatic's, it's about time!

hartmn

Its a Dual Disk set up same as in the Dart Platform !
Should be GREAT !

·
Registered
778 Posts
AFAIK (what i read) they designed it to drop in...If i find the site I will post it....and there is a 7 speed coming too (according to what i read)
I am happy to fins a dual disk rather then dual mass.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I seem to remember that there is a safety brace or bracket that is in the way for the transmission to fit, so I do not think it is possible because in US we have these silly safety regs for the six speed.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I seem to remember that there is a safety brace or bracket that is in the way for the transmission to fit, so I do not think it is possible because in US we have these silly safety regs for the six speed.
Supposedly, the 500 is being redesigned for 2015. I'm sure some changes will be made so that it will still pass U.S. safety standards and fit the 6 speed manual and dual clutch. You have to remember that when the 500 was designed, there was no intent on it coming to the U.S. They had to make modifications for it to meet our requirements. Hence the underside spare tire, extra bracing, and the flap in the headlights to make the one work for both high and low beams.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
778 Posts
What spare tire ? LOL
I am surprise the Europe standards for passenger protection would be lower then the USA version.
In Europe "wheels" have to pass all sorts of license and test, in the USA - just make them and sell them.......

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What spare tire ? LOL
I am surprise the Europe standards for passenger protection would be lower then the USA version.
In Europe "wheels" have to pass all sorts of license and test, in the USA - just make them and sell them.......
In Europe, there is no rear impact requirement and their side impact requirements are simply lower than ours. And that is the standard in which the 500 was originally designed since they didn't intend to bring the car here upon design. If you bought a European version, you would have a well inside the car for a spare tire. It does seem odd since they have regs we dont . You would think they would be more strick overall. I read that in some if the countries, you can't even simply change wheels from stock.

The US has arbitrary rules that don't make much sense. Like the sweep area requirement for windshield wiper blades (the reason for the big size disparity in our wipers) and that the low beams cannot be inside the high beams (the reason for our low beam flap thing where in Europe the highs are where our daytime lamps are). I read an article interviewing an engineer from FIAT that talked about the changes and the reasons.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.