Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for an oil change. I'll use the recommended Pennzoil Ultra synthetic – no advice needed on that point.

But... FIAT's recommendation is for 5W-40 oil. And yet, I'd prefer to use 0W-40. I live in San Diego. For many of its engines, Chrysler has flip-flopped between these two weight selections, in the Ultra line.

Can any of you see a practical daily-driver DOWNSIDE to my using 0W-40? (No need for warranty discussions, BTW.)

Thanks, all!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have used 0W-40 since i bought the car. That said I live in Saskatchewan Canada and the weight of 0W-40 is better for the colder climate. I have had no issues with daily driving it. Starting and driving the car in summer (30c) and winter (-38c) (plugged in of course) is no problem. I also prefer the 0W-40 over 5W-40 so thats what I'm going with.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also prefer the 0W-40 over 5W-40 so thats what I'm going with.
Good to know. How long have you been running 0W-40? Any of that time in warm weather where you could compare engine performance and fuel economy versus the factory 5W-40 oil? Were you careful not to overfill your crankcase?

I did a controlled test between 0W-20 and 5W-20 in a hybrid car I owned, and found that the zero-weight version consistently netted me 3-4 MPGs higher. A much larger gain than I would ever have expected.

It's very hard to find Pennzoil Ultra in either weight discussed here. Special order and online order only, it seems.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 can be ordered from Pep Boys for the < ulp > low price of $9.79 per quart.

For reference, the part number is 550032776. It's very hard to find, and no cheaper from the few online sources I found.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll give the dealer just three of the quarts, and then I'll add the fourth quart myself to better control the level. I've had various dealers (not FIAT, yet) overfill the crankcase when given all four quarts. Too much oil can hurt fuel economy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have always used Mobile1 synthetic 0W-40 oil since i bought the car in june 2012 and I honestly couldn't tell you any mpg or performance gains vs the 5W-40 it came with from factory. I drove the car like a grandma for the first 2000kms for proper break in and then changed the oil to 0W-40 and drove it hard ever since. I didn't buy the car for the fuel economy but purely for the fun of driving it. The only time I have ever recorded the cars mpg was when I drove through the mountains last october just to see how bad the fuel milage would be. every straight i hit 180-200kph and yet somehow managed to average 39mpg combined. Mobile1 0W-40 synthetic is what i use in my volkswagen and I like to stick with what I know. I have always done my own oil changes just because i am very picky about the care my cars get. I have never overfilled my crank case once, I put about 3.8 quarts in and that is about perfect. I will never trust a shop with my car. I work for a Ford dealer as a tech and see daily the **** that goes on behind the scenes and am disgusted by the level of workmanship that isn't there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You certainly won't hurt anything going with 0W40 as opposed to 5W40. Pennzoil Ultra is a good choice. I would stay away from Mobil as none of their oils meet any Chrysler specs- at least not that I can find.

Go ahead and have the dealer put in 4 quarts not 3. Four quarts will not bring you to the top of the crosshairs, the oil level will be 3/4 of the way to the top of the full range. You won't be over filling the crankcase with 4 quarts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mobile1 is what my dealer uses for all fiats up here in Canada. It may be different in the US. I have never liked Pennzoil. That said I have a lot of brand loyalty and probably couldn't tell you why i don't like it haha.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've got a 500 Sport, I use 0w40, Mobil 1 after the factory maintenance coverage expired. I like it. at about $7USD a quart from Walmart, it's not too bad. Oreilly's has it for ~$35 for 5.1 quarts.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pennzoil Ultra has some very impressive test bragging rights, if such claims are reliable. I don't mind spending $10/quart to use the specific (and only) brand that FIAT specifies, since it seems truly worth the price bump. It's only a semi-annual expense anyway.

My only concern had been about the weight substitution, and I think I can put that to rest now, thanks to y'all's helpful input. All other site chat indicates that the weights are interchangeable, too. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's time for an oil change. I'll use the recommended Pennzoil Ultra synthetic – no advice needed on that point.

But... FIAT's recommendation is for 5W-40 oil. And yet, I'd prefer to use 0W-40. I live in San Diego. For many of its engines, Chrysler has flip-flopped between these two weight selections, in the Ultra line.

Can any of you see a practical daily-driver DOWNSIDE to my using 0W-40? (No need for warranty discussions, BTW.)

Thanks, all!

The engine oil can be purchased through online shopping website. Many branded engine oil such as gulf pride, elf, motul, mobil 1 etc. are available on the websites from which we can choose according to our need. Just try and share the experience.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine oil can be purchased through online shopping website.
The Pennzoil Ultra is very hard to find even online, and priced higher than I paid locally at Pep Boys (the only local retailer I could find who carried it). It's now in my trunk for when I can find time to have it changed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My owners manual and filler cap on the car call for 5-30W conforming to Chrysler MS-6395. Understanding this choice would be a start for choosing something else. All of our engines have the high pressure oil valve gear. Turbo owners have the high speed/heat bearing in the turbo to consider.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that Pennzoil Ultra is the only oil stating that it meets MS-6395. There's already a lot of google-able online discussion on that topic. The recommended weight is different for Abarths (and presumably turbos) versus other 500s.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I personally use the pennzoil ultra 5w-40 euro. I've seen the tests and they are pretty impressive. I asked my dealer before about the oil they couldn't really give me an answer. They use mobil 1 0w 40 which doesn't meet the specs. I called fiat directly about this and they said as long as you use a synthetic with the correct weight you are fine for warranty

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had my oil changed today, tires rotated, and vehicle inspected. The fill took about 3.6+ quarts to the dipstick midpoint. Looking forward now to a 0W-40 experience with fresh oil!

Service departments are now required to inspect Abarth emblems for peeling – mine' s good.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I've got a 500 Sport, I use 0w40, Mobil 1 after the factory maintenance coverage expired. I like it. at about $7USD a quart from Walmart, it's not too bad. Oreilly's has it for ~$35 for 5.1 quarts.
are the Sports not supposed to sport 5w-30? I had the dealer put in the Royal Purple I supplied and now she's a Mustang GT beater bwah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a note on the availability of the Pennzoil Ultra 5w40. You can always go to the Dodge dealer in your area for the oil and filter. The 2012 Dodge Dart Rally has the 1.4L Turbo found in the Abarth. The second time I bought my oil from them, they gave me the wholesale price on the 4 qts. and filter for just about $50. That makes it close to the price of Mobile 1 and has all the specs Fiat recommends.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts