Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just in;

Fox News just ran a piece (around 12:30 PM) on the upcoming Superbowl ads. They SPECIFICALLY mentioned the FIAT Abarth Seduction ad as being shown (along with a 5 sec clip) among others. At a cost of 3.5 million for 30 seconds, if they show the entire ad (& how could they not?) that's $7,000,000 bucks. I guess they like the ad a lot too
!

The newsreader of course gave away the entire premise but hey, it's a win for our side!

Cheers

p.s. No mention of there being subtitles, I'm betting not. If not in English, people will be googling the heck out of it and that's also a win. Involvement is what we want.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Too good to be true

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Now all we need is a Giants win...
I agree! Not so much for the Patriots in general but I want to see Tom Brady cry!

*Disclaimer* It is meant just in jest and a joke. Please don't get offended and start an argument- it is meant in fun and in Super Bowl tradition of rivalry and sports in general. It is not personal or not meant to be. - it's a JOKE.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

I don't know if this helps or not but I was just forwarded this by a friend.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/Super-Bowl-Ad-Chart.aspx

I don't see Fiat specifically on the list, but it does indicate that Chrysler has booked 90sec of time whose placement is to be determined, which I guess may also include any Fiat spots, or its possible that it may run either during the pre-game, half-time, or post-game time slots.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
269 Posts
In my opinion, it's a completely asinine way for them to spend their AD dollars. They blew it last time and showing a better commercial is not going to help right the situation. The Superbowl is not where a small Italian car needs representation, better audience for diesel pick ups and Camaro's.

·
Registered
606 Posts
In my opinion, it's a completely asinine way for them to spend their AD dollars. They blew it last time and showing a better commercial is not going to help right the situation. The Superbowl is not where a small Italian car needs representation, better audience for diesel pick ups and Camaro's.
Hi,

I've had my doubts too for awhile.

One thing that really gets me wondering though is that since Fiat decided to drop their Forward Care Program (FFCP) earlier this year but that prior to that it appeared that they were offering a $500 rebate to owners who wanted to opt out of it, it would seem that the $3,500,000 they might be paying for a 30 sec spot would habe been the same cost (more or less) as providing Fiat Forward Care for 7000 additional buyers (or 14000 buyers if they were to buy a 60 sec ad).

To me, I'd actually kind of rather of seen them keep the FFCP few owners for a few more months rather than just air one commerical during the SuperBowl. :(

Pat

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

It didn't dawn on me until I went out to dinner, but if the commercial is 60 sec long and the cost of a 60 sec commercial is $7,000,000, and if you assume that the commercial is advertising Fiat in general and not just the Abarth, then even if Fiat were able to sell 50,000 units this year, the cost of running this single commercial during the SuperBowl would equate to $140 for each car. :eek:

Pat

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi,

It didn't dawn on me until I went out to dinner, but if the commercial is 60 sec long and the cost of a 60 sec commercial is $7,000,000, and if you assume that the commercial is advertising Fiat in general and not just the Abarth, then even if Fiat were able to sell 50,000 units this year, the cost of running this single commercial during the SuperBowl would equate to $140 for each car. :eek:

Pat
The dinner must not have been that good;).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The Superbowl is not where a small Italian car needs representation, better audience for diesel pick ups and Camaro's.
its exactly what fiat needs.

the superbowl viewership is an entirely different demographic. you have the regular season fans....BUT the reason manufacturers spend so much money during the superbowl is that they have the potential to reach 130+ million viewers.

many of these viewers are not the "pickup and camaro" crowd.

when you have that many viewers you are reaching across all demographic lines.

·
Registered
606 Posts
its exactly what fiat needs.

Hi,

To me, it just seems like they'd be spending way too much money just to run that single commercial during the SuperBowl.

As I noted above, $7,000,000 equates to $140 per car if they sold 50,000 units this year. But to be honest if sales are more like 25,000-30,000 units this year, that's $233 to $280 per car.

It just seems to me that there could be so many better ways to spend that money. I wonder what normal advertising rates are and how many times you could show the exact same commercial elsewhere for that kind of money?

Things would be even worse if you consider the commercial solely an Abarth commercial, as even if they manage to sell between 5000 and 10000 units this year that would equate to $700 to $1400 per car (yikes)!!!

Pat

·
Registered
269 Posts
(its exactly what Fiat needs.)

After the debacle they created last time, they cannot throw enough money at the situation to dig out of that pigeon hole. The only thing that will fix such a situation is upon the release of the ABARTH it smokes the aforementioned football watching Camaro driver light to light.

I love my 500 & don't really care either way, it won't change my mind and the little car has manhandled the perceived view of many a naysayer in the canyon. Great car, horrible marketing choices, hopefully it won't lead to the death of the brand in the US again. The aforementioned potential to reach 130+ million viewers was pretty much the nail in the coffin of less then satisfactory sales last year and throwing the dice twice in the same arena without favorable results could be the final blow.

I would take the well earned beating and move on to promoting the car to their proven demographic. (Sure would be a **** of a lot cheaper and less of a gamble.)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i think we are looking at this too narrowly. the global audience of past superbowls has been over 1 billion people. fiat is global and i doubt fiat is thinking only about the us market.

i also believe this commercial will spin fiat in a different light than past ads(here) and as such will help the brand and not just the abarth.

i see it as brand exposure and worldwide exposure.

sure, go ahead and tack on a few hundred bucks to the cars price next year if it helps the brand here.

i do think some ads leave the viewer not even realizing what was being sold. this is why i like the abarth ad. it ends with the guttural engine sounds and images of the car racing around.

...and selfishly (and far less important) id like to be able to say to myself (or others) "that was a cool as s**t fiat ad"

1 - 20 of 61 Posts