Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In that small of a car 160 hp is OK with me.
It will be a blast :D
Problem is I already have 17,000 miles on my Prima. I'd lose a ton of money to trade now. :(

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of right now my dealer said they'd give me 16k Canadian on trade, I have 22k owing so my negative equity would be 6k. Assuming the abarth will be 27 k after taxes it will cost 29k ish plus my negative equity means I'd be financing 35k roughly. For me personally it makes more sense to wait and see what abarth will be offering for parts for our 500s. Even if I put 4k into my prima id still be saving a ton of money. Plus I don't like the abarth wheels and it would still need a drop plus id want to do exhaust and stuff so in the end the abarth would end up costing me like 40k. Trading in 1 year old cars is a terrible idea in my opinion

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
As of right now my dealer said they'd give me 16k Canadian on trade, I have 22k owing so my negative equity would be 6k. Assuming the abarth will be 27 k after taxes it will cost 29k ish plus my negative equity means I'd be financing 35k roughly. For me personally it makes more sense to wait and see what abarth will be offering for parts for our 500s. Even if I put 4k into my prima id still be saving a ton of money. Plus I don't like the abarth wheels and it would still need a drop plus id want to do exhaust and stuff so in the end the abarth would end up costing me like 40k. Trading in 1 year old cars is a terrible idea in my opinion

I feel this is exactly the case as well sadly.:(

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I agree...for far less than 6k I would think we could mod a stock 500 to our liking.
UK, and too expensive, but you get the idea: ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abarth-500-Engine-/250911791981?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6b821b6d

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel this is exactly the case as well sadly.:(
I'm okay with it, its not like the abarth is built on a different platform or anything, its still just a 500 so for us who have a 500 we can take it to abarth like performance if we want to.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
have they listed pricing? I'd be surprised if it was more than a loaded lounge C.

I'd think the Abarth would be 23-24k max.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd say it will start around 24-25k. Wouldn't mind an official turbo kit for my car though. But, if not I'm still happy with mine stock.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I'm okay with it, its not like the abarth is built on a different platform or anything, its still just a 500 so for us who have a 500 we can take it to abarth like performance if we want to.
Hi,

I thought I read somewhere that the European Abarth was structurally upgraded over the base European 500 to better handle the added power and forces it will see. Does anyone know if the US Abarth has any structural mods (including stuff like upgraded welds, etc)?

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have they listed pricing? I'd be surprised if it was more than a loaded lounge C.

I'd think the Abarth would be 23-24k max.
Base cooper S here in canada starts at 28K and thats for a pretty basic one. They are going to come under but not by a huge margain. My guess is 25999

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I was looking at it from the Mazdaspeed 3 POV. A sport was about 23k.

With that you get a turbo, sport tuned suspension, fancier wheels, bigger wing, body kit, LSD, and grabbier seats

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi,

I thought I read somewhere that the European Abarth was structurally upgraded over the base European 500 to better handle the added power and forces it will see. Does anyone know if the US Abarth has any structural mods (including stuff like upgraded welds, etc)?

Regards

Pat
A customer of mine has a sister that was the secretary of the former President of Fiat. He and I talked at length about the Fiat 500 Abarth. He said all indications are it will have 170hp to accommodate for any added weight due to United States NHTSA/DOT crash regulations. So, you can rest assured even your standard Fiat 500 has quality welding, period.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Thanks. It's not that I doubt that the current 500 is structurally a very good car, as shown by the results of its recent crash testing. However, its just that I thought that I've read somewhere that some updates where made to the structure of the base Euro spec 500 to better handle the added stresses and such that the increased power of the Abarth and Abarth Esse Esse would impart on the car.

I can't find that article anywhere right now, but here is a link to a more recent article that makes a vague reference to potential structural mods to the North American spec Abarth.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks. It's not that I doubt that the current 500 is structurally a very good car, as shown by the results of its recent crash testing. However, its just that I thought that I've read somewhere that some updates where made to the structure of the base Euro spec 500 to better handle the added stresses and such that the increased power of the Abarth and Abarth Esse Esse would impart on the car.

I can't find that article anywhere right now, but here is a link to a more recent article that makes a vague reference to potential structural mods to the North American spec Abarth.

Regards

Pat
Well, if anything it is due to American crash regulations. As a result, a slight increase in weight, and a BIG increase in power for the US Spec Abarth! Yay!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
With previous "sportier" models offered by car makers (read:SRT-4, the Speed line from Mazda) they typically brace the standard unibody with bolt in bracing and strut tie bars. So, be that as it may, companies may make aftermarket bracing that bolts in. I know they did for the other car models out there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd think they'd take the American road system into account, and not make the ride too bone-jarring. Guess we'll know in a week and a half.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
we'll only get to see it in a week and a half. It won't actually be available until Feb 12.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts