Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was supposed to get my springs installed last week but had to wait due to them not being for my car. I told my wife that I was going to bring my car in probably this week to get them installed and she said if I had any plans to trade my car in for the Abarth then don't bother with the springs. Basically she doesn't want me to invest more in the car if I'm going to trade it in anyways which obviously makes sense. I just couldn't believe she basically gave me the go ahead to do so. I bought y 500 in July but I only have about 3400kms on it and I doubt I will even double that by the time the Abarth is available so I may get a decent trade in. Looks like I may be putting a deposit to hold my spot in line rather than do my springs this week.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was supposed to get my springs installed last week but had to wait due to them not being for my car. I told my wife that I was going to bring my car in probably this week to get them installed and she said if I had any plans to trade my car in for the Abarth then don't bother with the springs. Basically she doesn't want me to invest more in the car if I'm going to trade it in anyways which obviously makes sense. I just couldn't believe she basically gave me the go ahead to do so. I bought y 500 in July but I only have about 3400kms on it and I doubt I will even double that by the time the Abarth is available so I may get a decent trade in. Looks like I may be putting a deposit to hold my spot in line rather than do my springs this week.
I think You're going to be in for a shock when you go to trade it in. I was. My loaded prima was getting appraisals from
Fiat dealers at 14k cdn I paid 22 for it and I only had it a few months. The sad reality is fiat has tons of stock on all models and even more so when the abarth rolls in so that really drives down the value of our used 500s. Unless your 500 is paid off or close to it you're going to be dealing with a ton of negative equity. You're much better off selling your car privately.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Aren't they pretty?

Reactions: sjmst

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think You're going to be in for a shock when you go to trade it in. I was. My loaded prima was getting appraisals from
Fiat dealers at 14k cdn I paid 22 for it and I only had it a few months. The sad reality is fiat has tons of stock on all models and even more so when the abarth rolls in so that really drives down the value of our used 500s. Unless your 500 is paid off or close to it you're going to be dealing with a ton of negative equity. You're much better off selling your car privately.
Yep. I was thinking of trading, but it would be a blood-bath.
I put $6k down on my Prima.
I am sure I would not only not recoup that, but I'd be surprised if I got what I still owe on it. The fact that I already have 17,000 miles on it is the final nail.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yea I'm sure I will be. When I bought my RX8 I traded in a Protege 5 that was two years old. I bought the P5 for $19,500 +tax etc and two years later they gave me $19,000 for it on trade to an RX8 and those P5s were a dime a dozen. So wishful thinking based on that for the 500 trade in. I've already paid it off so I don't need to worry about that but I may just do a private sale if I decide on the Abarth.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yea I'm sure I will be. When I bought my RX8 I traded in a Protege 5 that was two years old. I bought the P5 for $19,500 +tax etc and two years later they gave me $19,000 for it on trade to an RX8 and those P5s were a dime a dozen. So wishful thinking based on that for the 500 trade in. I've already paid it off so I don't need to worry about that but I may just do a private sale if I decide on the Abarth.
The RX-8 is one of the worst selling cars of the last few years, I think mazda sold 98 last year in all of north america, and the margains on those cars are big too so chances are what they did was bump up your trade in value but kept the rx-8 priced around what they had it listed for.
There are 2 brand new 2010 RX-8 R3's in edmonton here on clearout for $24999, those cars list for like $45,000..

anywhoo that is great your 500 is paid off, definetley gives you lots of options when the abarth comes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The RX-8 is one of the worst selling cars of the last few years, I think mazda sold 98 last year in all of north america, and the margains on those cars are big too so chances are what they did was bump up your trade in value but kept the rx-8 priced around what they had it listed for.
There are 2 brand new 2010 RX-8 R3's in edmonton here on clearout for $24999, those cars list for like $45,000..

anywhoo that is great your 500 is paid off, definetley gives you lots of options when the abarth comes.
No doubt on the RX-8 hence the reason it's discontinued but this was back in 2004 so it was only out for a year and at the time selling well, at least for a rotary. I'm sure they still bumped up the trade value though since the 8 at the time had more room in it's pricing. Time will tell.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's official, I'm on the list and if a deal is done I should be in the first wave to receive one for my dealership. Now to wait only 2 more days to get some final pricing.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It's official, I'm on the list and if a deal is done I should be in the first wave to receive one for my dealership. Now to wait only 2 more days to get some final pricing.
I'm hoping, but like someone else said, they may not give pricing till just before introduction to the market next year.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Posted this elsewhere, but this seemed appropriate. My dealer posted this to their Abarth page, which differs from what I've seen posted so far. We'll know for sure soon, though.

Chrysler has just released their specifications on the 1.4L MultiAir engine that will equip the Fiat 500 Abarth. The 1.4L MultiAir Turbo will be rated at 170hp, that's up from the standard European spec'd version with 135hp and even up from the optional Esseesse version with 160hp.

The US version 1.4-liter FIRE Turbo with Multiair
170 horsepower (128 kW) @ 6750 rpm
170 lb.-ft. (231 Nm) of torque @ 3000 rpm

That power output, 2.04hp/cu in (124 hp/litre), puts the 1.4L MultiAir Turbo engine as having one of the highest specific power values in the world!

In addition to the upgraded power plant, the Abarth will also sport unique exterior features including a full body kit, wider fenders, and Abarth badging. Due to its early 2012 arrival, the Abarth model is expected to wear a 2013 model designation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
MrFlippant,

The info you have on the Abarth 1.4 turbo was first posted online back on January 12, 2010 on the fiat500usa.com website. Word for word. So I wouldn't take that to the bank as much as I'd love it to be true. :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I know the current party line is 160 hp. That may well be the case, but it also would not surprise me to see 170...Either way, option for more HP from FIAT/ Chrysler will be in the mix.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Saw this tidbit of info and rumour on a price for the Abarth here:

How much, how soon? The Abarth is expected to arrive in American showrooms in the spring, unless sales realities postpone that timetable, as they have previously; the model is actually long overdue. No pricing yet, but if it indeed comes in around $23,000 as hinted by the company, that may be scrumptious enough to woo buyers away from the ubiquitous Mini Cooper S.

This would be awesome, well not the postponing, but if the price actually comes in at $23,000 I have 2 words to say....DONE DEAL!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Saw this tidbit of info and rumour on a price for the Abarth here:

How much, how soon? The Abarth is expected to arrive in American showrooms in the spring, unless sales realities postpone that timetable, as they have previously; the model is actually long overdue. No pricing yet, but if it indeed comes in around $23,000 as hinted by the company, that may be scrumptious enough to woo buyers away from the ubiquitous Mini Cooper S.

This would be awesome, well not the postponing, but if the price actually comes in at $23,000 I have 2 words to say....DONE DEAL!
Dot get your hopes up. 23k US means About 26-27 for us Canadians. Cooper s starts at about 24 us and 28500 here In Canada.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dot get your hopes up. 23k US means About 26-27 for us Canadians. Cooper s starts at about 24 us and 28500 here In Canada.
US Fiat Starting Prices:

Pop: $15,500
Sport: $17,500
Lounge: $19,500

Canada Fiart Starting Prices:

Sport: $18,500
Lounge $19,500

The other 500 models start at basically the same price they can't justify suddenly jumping the Abarth pricing in Canada over the US. I guess anything is possible but it doesn't seem logical. My guess is that it will come in at about 25-26 anyways since the Gucci is starting at $23,500.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That's a good point. I just don't see the abarth coming in at 23. If it did that would be by far the best car for the money but seeing how other similar cars all come in around the 28 area, I'm sticking with my guess of 26999

·
Registered
148 Posts
With the Abarth's specs, I would consider it similar to the Nissan Juke. The highest trim level of that starts at around $23K, so it should be reasoned that if they want the Abarth to be competitive they should price it accordingly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's a good point. I just don't see the abarth coming in at 23. If it did that would be by far the best car for the money but seeing how other similar cars all come in around the 28 area, I'm sticking with my guess of 26999
US Fiat Starting Prices:

Sport: $17,500
Lounge: $19,500

Canada Fiart Starting Prices:

Sport: $18,500
Lounge $19,500

The other 500 models start at basically the same price they can't justify suddenly jumping the Abarth pricing in Canada over the US. I guess anything is possible but it doesn't seem logical. My guess is that it will come in at about 25-26 anyways since the Gucci is starting at $23,500.
The '500 by Gucci' has the extra Gucci specialties that bump the price up accordingly. The Abarth is not going to have a higher starting price than the Gucci. In Europe the Abarth is about $6000 (us dollars) more than the Pop, placing it in the low 20s to start. Remember it will have 16s, no sunroof, no leather. There are plenty of options that include 17" wheels, sunroof, navigation, leather, etc...that will take the price upwards.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts