Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Anyone have any info on the diff in the US spec Abarth?
My Current daily driver is a 05' Neon SRT-4 - ACR. The SRT-4 comes with a factory Quaife differential, while it can sometimes be a handfull.
(pull away from a light when turning, get into boost, think posi RWD getting loose-sideways but in the front. lol)
I dont know if I could live without a good differential in a FWD vehicle, having that outside right wheel on a hard right turn spinning doing nothing, straight line launches stink, etc.

With my srt-4 I can dump the clutch at 4k and the car will hook up and stay straight as an arrow, burn outs, again thumb and pointer finger on the wheel straight.
with open diffs it always seemed to fight or flat out stink having a "1 wheel peel"

Then we get into these terrible electronic diffs that just hit the brakes to the wheel spinning.
I had a Volvo 850 turbo wagon that had this and it was terrible, especially in the snow, left-right-left-right-etc and going nowhere.

Whats the deal with the differential in the Us Abarth? I searched a bit and I read that this is some sort of electronic locker.
Is this fancy talk for a fake "brake" diff?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This car comes with either an electronic or mechanical device to stop the wheel spin.This car is a very sophisticated little car,just in case you did not know that.I just ordered a Abarth 500 and can't wait to drive the little monster.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any news on the diff on this car? I want to dump the clutch at 5k, and just hold the wheel with my index finger and thumb as it proceeds to liquefy the rubber of BOTH tires and stay straight as a bullet.

Inside turn wheel spin stinks, in a short wheel base light car is stinks even more.. I used to have to deal with it everyday in my mazda b6 swapped Ford festiva.

Brake diffs stink even worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you're conflating traction control (what the Volvo 850 had) with electronic diffs (what a Ferrari 599 has).

The abarth doesn't have a mechanical limited slip diff. Part of the stability control is a torque vectoring electronic system, which can control power from side to side. Or it can be turned off entirely, giving you a traditional open diff.

I believe all 500s have equal length half shafts, which cuts down on torque steer substantially as compared to other FWD cars.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there, Im totally not confused, For instance the Neon SRT-4's replacement was the Caliber SRT-4, They cheaped out and ditched the $1000+ Quaife differantial and went with a Brake lock diff. Which is essentially a "fake" non locking diff. It uses its ABS sensors to determine if a wheel slips, then applies the brakes to the spinning wheel. Im hoping the Abarth does not have this system as it sucks and everyone hates them.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
JAFA500. Abarth only comes with a 5 speed manual. Lack of space prevented for a automatic or even a 6th gear. The 5 speed manual transmission in the Abarth is an improvement on the 500’s, but due to American crash safety rules, the Abarth had to sacrifice a 6th speed to strengthen the chassis to meet regulations.

In the Sport mode, there’s also a new Torque Transfer Control (TTC) System. The TTC system works with the Abarth’s PCM to improve performance in hard cornering. The TTC operates everything from the lock in the front differential to the braking system.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Abarth comes with a Drexel LSD, and C510 6-speed. Same manual as all other US version 500's
Fiat states on their website that the manual transmission in the Abarth is a more heavy duty 5 speed transmission than the standard model 500.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Fiat states on their website that the manual transmission in the Abarth is a more heavy duty 5 speed transmission than the standard model 500.
They may state that, but it's a C510, same as all 500's. Even the same ratios, so I'm guessing it's exactly the same.

It wouldn't be the first time Fiat makes a claim about a model, and all the lower versions have it.

ie leather wrapped steering wheel on the sport. Same wheel as the POP and Lounge

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
They may state that, but it's a C510, same as all 500's. Even the same ratios, so I'm guessing it's exactly the same.

It wouldn't be the first time Fiat makes a claim about a model, and all the lower versions have it.

ie leather wrapped steering wheel on the sport. Same wheel as the POP and Lounge
Regular 500's use the C514, the Abarth uses the heavy duty C510. Both 5 Speed.

Reactions: geeded and the stig

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regular 500's use the C514, the Abarth uses the heavy duty C510. Both 5 Speed.
Thanks, now that you've jogged my memory I remember those numbers from the Fiat website.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Hi,

Early on there were distinct differences in the steering wheels on the Pop and the Sport, but they may have changed things since then. Specifically, my early Pop has only a plastic steering wheel. :)

Pat

·
Registered
794 Posts
Any news on the diff on this car? I want to dump the clutch at 5k, and just hold the wheel with my index finger and thumb as it proceeds to liquefy the rubber of BOTH tires and stay straight as a bullet.
Hmmm... I don't think this is the right car for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts