Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a clutch in my 2012 Abarth. I'm pretty sure I've removed everything that needs to be removed. I for the life of me can't get the transmission out! I've tried raising and lowering the motor and revolving the trans I can't get it past this point. Anyone know the trick? I know I'm missing something simple.
Thanks
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I knew it was simple! I thought the subframe was 1 piece, It's not. 4 bolts and out it came!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bill - I'm working on the same thing, have everything unbolted, pulled the transmission out as far as I can and it hits the part of the frame that the steering and suspension linkage is attached to. In your post, you mentioned "sub frame". Do you pull down the whole from held in place by reverse tork nuts? It looks like one piece all the way across to the passenger side to me as well.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike, I am in the same exact boat as you. The trans is free from the engine and I have the drivers side sub frame arm taken out, but the transmission cannot come off the stud all the way because it hits the 1 piece sub frame with the reverse torx bolts. Did you find a work around or did you take the whole subframe out? Id prefer not to do so, but it looks like my only option and theres very little info online. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mike, I am in the same exact boat as you. The trans is free from the engine and I have the drivers side sub frame arm taken out, but the transmission cannot come off the stud all the way because it hits the 1 piece sub frame with the reverse torx bolts. Did you find a work around or did you take the whole subframe out? Id prefer not to do so, but it looks like my only option and theres very little info online. Thanks
I can walk you through a LOT and in retrospect wish I had video'd everything. Lots of learnings. DM me and we can connect by phone if you'd like.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a YouTube video on the procedure. I just watched it last night.
I looked around for videos when I did mine, but couldn't find anything that was detailed enough. The main challenges I found are:

* To remove the transmission after unbolting the bellhousing - remove all the bolts from the subframe on the driver side and loosen all the subframe bolts on the passenger side so that you can tip the subframe down. This gives you just enough clearance to mangle the transmission out. It does not come out in an elegant fashion even with this bit of clearance and the best I had was a controlled fall of the transmission once you pulled it over top of the subframe.

* Removing the passenger side half shaft was a LOT easier once I figured out how to do it. At first I unbolted the bearing holder from the engine, but instead of doing that just remove the three bolts on the back of the bearing holder which is a massively easier process. Once those three bolts are removed, then just pull the half shaft out of the transmission.

* Getting the transmission back in was pretty much impossible for me solo. I had to recruit a buddy to help me lift the transmission into its weird angle spot, align the shaft to the clutch and push onto the shaft. In my opinion, there is no way to just lift the transmission up into place with a jack. To do that you'd have to remove the entire subframe since it's really still very much in the way even when lowered down.

* Bleeding the throw out bearing was a bit of a mystery until I figured it out. There was no need to pre-bleed the bearing, but instead get everything bolted back up, the bleed by attaching a vacuum pump to the port on top of the bearing, then with a helper pump the vacuum pump while pulling the hydraulic line slightly back from its seated position in the bearing. You need to remove the clip holding the line in place to do this. Once you find the right spot, the vacuum pump will pull fluid down the line from the brake reservoir and prime the hydraulic line. Once no bubbles are coming out, just push the hydraulic line into the bearing and clip in place.

* To gain access to everything on the front and side I pulled the whole front of the car off. This was easy and I think it's just 7 bolts that hold that whole thing on with a few screws holding the wheel well liner in place. Do this. Makes the whole thing so much simpler.

* To gain access to a few of the transmission bolts it was much easier to pop the exhaust pipe off it's front rubber hanger. With a bit of wrangling this will come off and just gets it out of the way.

* When bolting the subframe back up into place, do you best to put it back in the same place. I think I got my spot on and haven't notice any wheel alignment issues. Steering wheel is straight and no weird lane drifting. Still, I might take it in for an alignment check.

* When putting the passenger side outer transaxle back in place, I had to remove the original metal rubber boot clamp and replace it with a zip tie. Trying to push the boot back on with the metal clamp in place seemed impossible.

* I mangled the rubber boot on the gear shift shaft on top of the transmission - the one that covers the shaft and the up and down mechanism. I put the whole thing back together and found it very difficult to shift into first and second and discovered the rubber boot was preventing the shaft from moving downwards. I didn't have the patience to pull the cables and rubber boot off again and just cut the boot off, lubed everything up and it's good as new. Yes, it's now likely some bit of dirt will get on the shaft, but I'll worry about that another time and just keep it lubed. Putting the rubber boot back on was a pain in the neck anyway because you can't see how the up and down lever fits into the shaft but instead you have to do it by feel.

Those are all the main points. I'm not sure I'd do it again even after having learned how to do this the hard way. Youtube videos are devoid of any detailed information, but if there's one out there I'd love to see it. I found a YouTuber that raced Abarths but again he didn't have any detailed information in the video, but I tracked him down via Facebook and that guy called me in a couple of minutes of posting a message to him. What a savior to talk to someone what went through this. Happy to do that with anyone here if you DM me a contact number.

Btw, I used every one of these tools to do this job.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts