Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a newly registered member of this forum and had a question for anyone in Ohio with a Abarth running the optional 17" rims for the winter time. I know at least in Columbus we don't ever seem to get a consistent winter(or snow fall) and was wondering if I should run a set of all season tires or winter tires on my 17's or buy a new set of rims with tires. I have a about 41 miles commute to work as well. Also was wondering what were people's experiences with driving an Abarth in the winter. Thank you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Nero Zero's on the 17" wheels are not rated for cold temps/snow so they may prove to be a challenge in inclement weather.......the snow we get is mostly a nuisance but one never knows since we are on the cusp of the snow belt (I am in Cincinnati).

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum if I haven't already said so elsewhere.

I am in NC and we had a very small amount of winter weather and even the slightest incline gave me some hassles so you are definitely not going to want to use them, what you do decide to use would depend on your budget and how severe the weather gets in your area. The easiest solution is probably to have another set of rims, tires, and TPMS sensors so they can be switched back and forth easily.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Being in Florida I dont think I can convince my wife I "need" a spare set of tires since I can count I one hand the number of sub 32 days :( I would not hesitate if your someplace that gets freezing temps on any regular basis.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to have a Subaru STI ... all-wheel-drive of course. I got caught in about 2 inches of snow with summer tires once and it was a disaster ... completely unable to stop on the even the slighest downhill. Went and got some Goodyear Eagle F1 all-seasons and had no further problems with snow for winter driving. Summer tires plus snow is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My first stop this morning is to buy some Snow Tires, Continental Extreme Winter Contact's.
On Saturday I was driving on a onramp to the highway and hit a rolling bump, the back end of my car skipped sideways. This was due to cold weather/rain and running all season radials, snow tires are much softer and I doubt this would have happened with them on. I've been spoilt due to the fact that I've always run Snow Tires in cold/cool weather in the past. I still love my car to bits but I gotta shove some more money into it to have it operating perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
(New-ish guy visiting some old threads on a Sunday morning)

Curious how this really crappy winter turned out for you. I bought mine in March and missed all but one small snowfall. I have the 17's as well & will probably garage mine when it even looks like snow (Dayton) & take the Subaru Impreza 2.5RS rallycross car with snow's year-round. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I kept my Suzuki sx4 for the winter instead of trading it in when i got the fiat. Glad I did. If you can find a used sx4 as a winter car that would be pretty cost effective.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts