Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My wife (Lindsay) and I (Ray) are no strangers to modifying vehicles; our last vehicle, a 400 WHP Mazda Miata, met and unfortunate end recently. Upon the death of this beloved vehicle, my wife wanted to find a new vehicle that better met her style. She looked around for a few weeks and decided that the best car for her was a Fiat Abarth. It did not take her long to find her perfect car and we drove 200 miles to pick up “Aculeus,” as can be seen with my wife in our profile photo. As I knew we would be modifying this car, I asked what she was thinking and immediately she showed me a picture of Rob Tallini’s white M1 car.

The following day I was on the phone with Rob figuring out what it would take to make one of these beautiful M1 cars. Much discussion, and a significant investment later, an order was placed with Rob. Now, many of these pieces are made to order carbon fiber and this was done in Early/Mid December. Knowing how holidays impact delivery schedules in general, we decided to start phase 1 while we waited for parts.

Phase 1: Audio and Electronics

We proceeded to rip the entire interior out of the car, remove all of the Beats equipment (Amp, Bass, Speakers, Tweeters, Badges), and started with a fresh canvas. As this was a used vehicle, we took this opportunity to really clean the inside of the car. We then covered every applicable area with DynoMat followed by DynoPad on the floor and between the panels and the outside skin of the car to eliminate road noise and increase sound fidelity. We then added the following equipment:

· Pioneer 8201NEX Head Unit
· Pioneer Backup Camera
· iDataLink Maestro Module (to retain steering wheel controls, CEL’s, and TPMS)
· Rode VideoMicro Microphone (for increased call quality)
· Wilson weBoost 4G Amplifier w/ 8” antenna (for increased cellular coverage)
· Pioneer GM-D9605 Amplifier
· Focal K2 Power 165KRX2 Components (Fronts)
· Focal K2 Power 165KRX Components (Rear)
· Focal Performance Sub P 20F (in the Beats Bass Box)
· All Speaker Wires Replaced with 12G 100% copper speaker wires
· Ran 2G Power and Ground for Amplifier
· Installed LED’s for Snow Performance Water/Meth Kit
· Ran Power, Ground, LED wires, and tubing for Water/Meth Kit

Phase 2: Initial Mechanical Parts Installation

This week parts started to come in from Road Race Motorsports. First and foremost, I would like to say how impressed I am with the quality of these parts. I will post pictures of the parts before install and hopefully a couple of install pictures as I do them. I do not like taking too many pictures during installs as I am usually too focused on what I am doing. Now, due to an unfortunate event over the holidays, I am forced to do a lot more of the mechanical work than I intended to do. But to save some money where I can, I will be installing the following items over the next week (maybe 2, we will see how it goes):

· Road Race Motorsports Downpipe w/ High Flow Cat
· Road Race Motorsports Downpipe Jacket – Hot Lava Red
· Road Race Motorsports Charge Pipe
· Go Fast Bits DV+
· HGK Spark Plugs
· Ignition Projects Coils
· Road Race Motorsports Turbo Blanket – Hot Lava Red
· Tallini Competizione Aurora Cold Air Intake (Need part to install)
· Road Race Motorsports Heat Shield w/ CF Back Plate
· Snow Performance Water/Meth Kit w/ 2.5G tank (need help with nozzle placement)
· Road Race Motorsports Ultimate PRO ECM (stage 3)
· Road Race Motorsports High Performance Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors (Front)
· Road Race Motorsports High Performance Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors (Rear)
· Road Race Motorsports High Performance Sport Brake Pads (Front)
· Road Race Motorsports High Performance Sport Brake Pads (Rear)
· Road Race Motorsports Lightweight Pulley System
· LED Light Kit
· Neu-F Torque Arm Insert
· Road Race Motorsports Corsa Chassis Bracing
· Road Race Motorsports Lower Brace Bar
· Road Race Motorsports Upper Brace Bar
· Road Race Motorsports "Big Red" Rear Anti Sway Bar
· Road Race Motorsports Schroth Rally Harness Kit
· Shorty Antenna

Phase 3: Professional Mechanical Parts Installation

As soon as I can accomplish the above, I will be sending it to my mechanic to add on the parts I am not comfortable, or do not have the required tools to install.

· Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers (if they get here in time, they are currently on backorder)
· Road Race Motorsports Limited Slip Differential
· Road Race Motorsports Stage 1.5 Clutch Kit
· Clutchmasters Lightweight Flywheel
· Road Race Motorsports Exhaust

Phase 4: Appearance and Body Work

Finally, the last stage is to get it over to the body shop for them to install the rest of the parts and fix a few things:

· Fix a few minor dents and scratches around the car
· Mount and Balance Wheels and Tires
···· Wheels – Tallini Competizione Custom with Copper Electroplate (almost done)
········ 16x8 (front); 16x9 (rear)
···· Tires – TOYO Proxes R1R
········ 205/45R16 (front); 225/40R16 (rear)
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Forza Front Lip
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Forza Aero "AN 500" Add-on Diffuser
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Wide Body Flares
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Extensions
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Rear Defuser
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Rear Extension Spoiler
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Appearance Package
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers
· Tallini Competizione Carbon Fiber Hood
···· Tallini Competizione Assetto Corsa Style Hood Vent Kit (NACA Duct)
···· Tallini Competizione Assetto Corsa Style Hood Vent Kit (Square Extractor)
· ACS-Cavallino Bumper Grill Insert w/ LED inserts

I will try to keep this thread up to date with my progress. Pictures coming soon. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. If anyone can help me out on a good location for the spray nozzle injection point for the water/meth kit, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Ray and Lindsay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think all that carbon fiber stuff looks like crap.

Tedolph
Luckily for us, we spend our hard earned money on what we like not what you like. :D

Also, for the rest who may be interested, I was able to remove the downpipe, charge pipe, diverter valve, and intake. Next step will be to put back on the new stuff. Will post pictures tonight.

-Ray and Lindsay

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Luckily for us, we spend our hard earned money on what we like not what you like. :D

Also, for the rest who may be interested, I was able to remove the downpipe, charge pipe, diverter valve, and intake. Next step will be to put back on the new stuff. Will post pictures tonight.

-Ray and Lindsay
Guess you don't ever plan on reselling it!

tedolph

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess you don't ever plan on reselling it!

tedolph
Seriously? It's a $10,000 Fiat with $30,000 in uninsurable parts. I think the value of the base car, as originally built, is pretty moot.

But to better answer your question, no we have no intentions of selling any of our hobby cars.

-Ray

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
Theque, don’t pay attention what Teddy says. He’s put a $$$$, after market power sunroof, Fiat alloy wheels, fog lamps, racing stripe, the fake front chrome bumper guard, not to mention racing stripes. On a base model 2012, Pop. He’ll never see a return on any of that too. He’s got more tied up, in the car then it’s worth traded in. He’ll probably be buried in that car. He doesn’t have any room to talk.

We modify our cars to our tastes. Boris the owner of 500 Madness has lots of carbon fiber parts on his personal 200+ hp. Abarth. I really like how his blended the grey paint into the carbon fiber hood. Every new sports car on the market features carbon fiber parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a nice looking car. I would not have thought orange wheels on graphite grey, but that looks pretty sweet.

Lindsay wants her car to look a little more in your face. Hence all the carbon fiber on white. The wheels are being electroplated with copper and I have already purchased through Mcmaster Carr copper mesh to put behind the grill and anywhere that has mesh.

There are a couple parts from Madness I will be purchasing as Road Race does not provide them; these include:

FIAT 500 ABARTH DASH COMBO - CARBON FIBER - MATT/ CLEAR
FIAT 500 CENTER DASH BUTTON TRIM KIT - CARBON FIBER

FIAT 500 FUEL DOOR BY MADNESS - CARBON FIBER
FIAT 500 PILLAR TRIM BY FEROCE - CARBON FIBER (6PC SET)
FIAT 500 DOOR HANDLES BY FEROCE - CARBON FIBER
FIAT 500 VALVE CAPS (4) - V3 - CARBON FIBER W/ POLISHED TIP
FIAT 500 EBRAKE BOOT - BLACK LEATHER W/ RED STITCHING
FIAT 500 GEAR SHIFT BOOT - BLACK LEATHER W/ RED STITCHING
FIAT 500 ABARTH HEADREST INSERTS - CARBON FIBER (4 PC SET)
FIAT 500 PEDAL SET (MANUAL) - ABARTH W/ CARBON FIBER FINISH
FIAT 500 FRONT SIDE BLINKER LIGHTS (2) - CRYSTAL BLACK FINISH
FIAT 500 CARBON FIBER KEY FOB HOUSING - RED CANDY

I know neither of these two companies like each other, nor have much to say positive about each other; but I am a consumer who has paid full price for all this stuff. I have no intentions on purchasing on "party lines" as it may be. The only reason the above items from Madness have not been ordered yet is my wife just got a new job, but it will not start for up to 6 weeks while security information is processed. In the mean time, I have already purchased a ton of stuff, and I am now in a position where I need to actually do some of the labor myself to save some money. Sometimes life gets in the way of your hobbies heh. All of the stuff from Road Race has been ordered and 95% will be delivered by the end of the week.

I also think the carbon fiber can be a bit much, especially on a white car where it sticks out so much. But it is the car my wife wants, so it will be the car my wife is going to get. There will be people who thinks it looks cool, and there will be people who think it looks a bit gaudy; fortunately for me, my wife's opinion is all that maters.

I hope to get more done on the car today, it has just been so darn cold outside, even in the garage.

-Ray

Theque, don’t pay attention what Teddy says. He’s put a $$$$, after market power sunroof, Fiat alloy wheels, fog lamps, racing stripe, the fake front chrome bumper guard, not to mention racing stripes. On a base model 2012, Pop. He’ll never see a return on any of that too. He’s got more tied up, in the car then it’s worth traded in. He’ll probably be buried in that car. He doesn’t have any room to talk.

We modify our cars to our tastes. Boris the owner of 500 Madness has lots of carbon fiber parts on his personal 200+ hp. Abarth. I really like how his blended the grey paint into the carbon fiber hood. Every new sports car on the market features carbon fiber parts.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
And what is wrong with being buried in your car?

You say that like there is something wrong with it!

Did I ever tell you about my Putin/Assad 2016 bumper sticker?

Tedolph

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Uploaded some pictures directly to the forum instead of a link to OneDrive. Hope this work.

We also installed the Diverter Valve, Spark Plugs, and Ignition Coils.

As this was a used car, the turbo heat shield was missing, as well as the ram air intake tube. Those should be here next week at which time I can install the turbo blanket and intake. We will be installing the left side of the intake as we need the air intake pipe from Fiat to install the right side. RRM recomends the turbo blanket installed over the heat shield, so that will be installed when that part comes with the air intake pipe.

And as asked on a couple PM's now. Yes, I am selling all of the OEM parts I am pulling off the car. The car has only 20,000 miles on it, and I am not sure how long the upgrades were on the car. I have the following:

Stock Head Unit
Stock Beats Sub (Just the speaker, I am using the box)
Stock Down Pipe
Stock Charge Pipe
Stock Ignition Coils

Additional items as we remove them:

Suspension (I think they are Koni, I will know more when I get them off)
Rear Sway Bar (I do not know what it is, but it is a red aftermarket one
Stock Wheels and Tires

Now for the pictures...

20171219_133118.jpg

20171221_204344.jpg

20171218_163550.jpg

20171220_122816.jpg

20171214_114436.jpg

20171214_114448.jpg

20171220_122846.jpg

20171214_114336.jpg

20171214_114348.jpg

-Ray

Attachments

·
Banned
4,743 Posts

So, does that air scoop actually connect to the induction system or does just look pretty/silly?

Tedolph

1 - 20 of 25 Posts