Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and there are a handful of posts about chargers but its been many years since. i thought I'd start a new discussion to see what the current thoughts are on Level 2 charging.

I need some guidance. We will be upgrading our electrical panel at home soon. I believe the standard these days is 200 amps. Not sure if they go higher now or if 200 amps is the max. Has anyone done a panel upgrade in the last couple years and have any advice on things to ask for or any special equipment that should be installed?

I plan on asking the electrician to run a 240v line to the driveway for a level 2 charger. I would like to have it be a bit overkill on the amps. While the 500e doesn't need much I want to be able to run 50amps or more for the next EV to hit our driveway. I know that Tesla makes a home charger that does more than 50 amps. Not sure I would go Tesla but maybe Mach E. I want to future proof myself for at least the electrical run.

Finally, I need to pick a level 2 EVSE. I like to track data and to be able to remotely monitor charging. It seems like Charge Point fits the bill on that. Anyone have experience with one of their home chargers or another brand that allows for what I am looking for? The EVSE will need to be outside since I don't have covered parking. Not sure if that means I will need to build an inclosure for the EVSE.

Any other advice? Anything I should plan for to make sure I get the best home charging experience possible?

·
Registered
189 Posts
As far as the 200 Amp panel goes, if the lines going from your house to the grid support it, then go for it. In my case, the lines only support 125 Amps and run under ground. So I would have had to upgrade the lines in addition to the panel. Since underground, it would have been very expensive. So I opted to update my old panel with a new 125 amp panel with more circuits when I had solar installed. This works fine for a 50 amp circuit for charging the car. If you can live with a 40 amp level 2 charger, I don't think there is really a need to go to a 200 amp panel - unless maybe if you have electric heat or do a lot of welding.

I have a Juicebox 40 pro and it works fine and does all the things you are looking for. It is weatherproof so outdoor installation is fine. Mine is mounted to the exterior of my house, so it does get some shelter from the weather due to the roof overhang, but I've seen pictures of them mounted on a stand alone post. I got mine as a refurbished unit from the manufacturer for around $350 if I recall.

As far as going more than 50 amps for the EVSE, I think it really depends on what your driving habits are and how efficient your future vehicle is and if the car will support it. I know the Mach E isn't particularly efficient, so being able to charge faster might be good to have. But I think for most cases, a 40 amp charger is plenty. You just need to run the numbers for your current use and expected future use. For reference, the 500e will fully charge from completely empty in around 4 hours. At normal temperatures, this gives between 80 and 90 miles of range. The efficiency of the 500e is typical of a decent EV IMO. With a big enough battery, you would be able to put in close to 200 miles in 8 hours. Not very many people drive 200 miles every day.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
I assume that a full charge overnight from dead is insufficient, with the 12A OEM charge-cord plugged into 240V.
That's a 40-mile US avg. daily drive recharged in about 4 hours.

My friend has an OLD 2015 JuiceBox, still going strong after using EVERY day, first with a leased 500e that her family kept borrowing whenever available, & now with a Tesla 3 as her only car.

I've seen pics of JuiceBox SUBMERGED in water, & even FROZEN IN A SOLID BLOCK OF ICE!

HOWEVER, I've read here that OpenEVSE brand has better parts availability if ever needed. I'm not a big fan of ChargePoint, since every one of my friend's work units requires reset every time. You might also want to check for rebates which may not apply to all brands. I think they're usually from utility companies.

You might want to consider running TWO lines, for the option of a second EVSE, if only for home resale value after new gas cars are banned.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The higher you go on amperage (and the further you go) the thicker wire you will need.... it gets expensive quite quickly.
GENERALLY 6Ga can do 75A, 4Ga can do 95A But, rated temperature, run length, type of cable or wire will change the rating and what gauge you need.

Personally I'd say if you're going with ONE circuit to the driveway, go with one 80A circuit. If you're going with 2, then go with an 80A and a 40A. 80A because that's ~20kw and the 40A can do the 6.6kw easily. IF you do it correctly you can run ONE circuit for both, and setup an interrupt to only run one EVSE at a time(though you'll have to setup the interlock with the EVSE etc. it's not plug and play for 2 separate EVSE's for now)

I personally LOVE my OPENEvse mostly because it's so versatile, and can be controlled by remote systems (home assistant server) through the wifi chip (not sure if wifi chip is factory, or if it's an upgrade, bought mine years ago). And an interlock between two OPENEvse's would be really simple to code.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

Panel upgrade should be easy as we have ugly utility poles here in LA rather than cables underground.

I don't need level 2 for the 500e but it would be nice to have. Charing now is a bit weird using my level 1 since I have to park weird on the side of the house where there is an outlet that reaches. Because of this I don't charge all the time and only if I know I need it for the next day. A Level 2 will give me more flexibility for those last minute meetings I have.

A second line for a second EVSE is a great idea. I'll have to look into that. Our driveway is tandem rather than side by side parking so I'll have to see if I can make it work.

I'll check out the JuiceBox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts