Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So taking a look at the Fiat 500, do you think the design is aerodynamic enough to translate into fuel savings?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know how concerned Fiat 500 drivers will be with aerodynamics. I think most people (myself included) like the car because of its style and the fact that it is adorable. The Fiat 500 may be more of a fashion accessory to some, and I'm sure that those will not be as concerned with performance and aerodynamics.

That said, it is a little car, so I'm thinking that the gas mileage will be great, and I think that will be the major concern of most Fiat 500 owners.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not concerned with aerodynamics unless it affects mileage. The car looks fine - its not racing so I don't see why it should be more aerodynamic. If the Fiat 500 has great mileage, then that's my main concern.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not concerned with aerodynamics unless it affects mileage. The car looks fine - its not racing so I don't see why it should be more aerodynamic. If the Fiat 500 has great mileage, then that's my main concern.
Well said, couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it has enough of a bubble shape to it that it will be plenty aerodynamic. It isn't like there is massive sections of body panels that are flaring from the car that would slow it down or anything (besides the side mirrors). Aerodynamics will be fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the looks of the Fiat 500, so no doubt Fiat would have designed it to maximize fuel efficiency. As for the aerodynamics of the Fiat 500, I leave that sort of stuff to the engineers and designers :p

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aerodynamics kicks in at around 80 mph (130 kph). Last time I was in Europe (south Germany), there were a LOT of "econoboxes" blasting along the autobahns at a 130 kph or better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't plan on this being my main highway are so aerodynamics are not high on my list. Now when it sees a track day, and it will, I might wish for more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Fiat 500 has a Coefficient of drag of...

If anyone is wondering, the Fiat 500 has a Cd reading of 0.325, which is considered an an excellent result for a car that is just 3.5 meters (139.7 inches) long with a rounded shape.

The 500's shape, being relatively tall, did present some challenges, but details like the rear spoiler, careful side glass treatments, smooth facia and headlights contributed to the good Cd reading.

Besides Fuel economy, aerodynamics also effects wind noise, overall quietness and high speed stability. Fiat has spent a lot of time making sure these areas were well addressed.

Best regards, Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dont think a Fiat has ever been about areodynamics. Though the light small fast car could probably be shaped like a brick and still be pretty good on gas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thanks for the info chris. most people that will buy this car dont care about aerodynamics that much. although without good aerodynamics it wont get good gas mileage either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks for the info chris. most people that will buy this car dont care about aerodynamics that much...
Interesting point, there will be folks that just love the coolness, but a large number will be discerning enthusiasts, like people here, that enjoy having an efficient shape...

...although without good aerodynamics it wont get good gas mileage either.
Very true. In todays world, a car company has to be concerned with aerodynamics.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting point, there will be folks that just love the coolness, but a large number will be discerning enthusiasts, like people here, that enjoy having an efficient shape...

Very true. In todays world, a car company has to be concerned with aerodynamics.
Most people today that buy a new car don't understand the kind of work that it takes to make one and the amount of time that the R&D department take to come up with the cars.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm not sure what 'aerodynamic enough' is. I think that the hatchback shape always creates turbulence and thus drag, at the back. And it is a short car, as FIAT500USA notes. His points about spoilers and seams and other edges are true, I think, in relation to the Cd for the 500. Ditto on noise.

One area that is often overlooked is the underside of the car. Airflow under the car has lots of things to flow around; exhaust, various suspension bits, spinning wheels, nooks & crannies (not sure what the technical term would be for these), body overhangs all create turbulence and that hurts aerodynamics. This is one of the reasons that a front air dam can help; it pushes air around the car, to some extent, which reduces the air that flows under the car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So, there are some basic changes Fiat figured out on the 500 body, when they tweaked it for the electric car. They "installed eight extra enhancements to achieve a 13-percent improvement in aerodynamics — 0.311 coefficient of drag (Cd) compared to the 2013 Fiat 500 Lounge’s 0.359 Cd." some of those are revised mirror covers, different side skirts, a longer rear spoiler with some droop to it and flat-faced wheels. Regardless, there's still a ton of turbulence that any owner of a white 500 can quickly correlate to the nearly instantaneous deposits of dust and dirt that appear on tail of the car within milliseconds of movement...

·
Registered
378 Posts
With a cd of 0.325 it isn't that bad about what the last generation of VW golf did. The faster you go the more engine power goes to pushing the air aside. This effect starts a lot sooner than 80 miles per hour where the majority of engine power is punching a hole in the air. I belive most of us here spend very little time thinking about cam phase timing but it is important to the efficiency and power of the little engine that powers our fashionable little cars.

I have been averaging about 35 miles to the gallon with my car. I am happy with that. Would I be even happier with better mileage. Well yes, most likely. It is a area where Fiat could improve. I don't need to think about what gives me what I want, for it to be important to me. Just give me a quick, efficient, good looking car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts