Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 500e
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get the original compressor-and-sealant kit with my used 500e. Is the Fix-A-Flat self-inflating stuff in the aerosol can an acceptable substitute? If so, would I still want/need to carry a small portable compressor?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Yes, & yes.

Or else some other form of sealant or plug (actually makes a better repair) and inflation device like even a manual pump.

That said, I've had a half dozen flats, including a few that weren't even repairable, & none needed more than a bit of air from my handy bike "floor" pump, to get me to the tire store for a proper patch or replacement.

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
You can use any type repair sealant, on your Tires. By your self a portable 12 volt tire inflator. Both available at Walmart. I would use a tire plug kit, before a sealant.

I have a Craftsman version of this one. Use it all the time, on all my cars, and bicycles.

·
Registered
2015 500e
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That said, I've had a half dozen flats, including a few that weren't even repairable...
Yikes! Where do you drive that you get so many flats? I don't think I've had that many actual flats in over 25 years of driving. The occasional slow leak, yes, but actual flats or blowouts are very rare for me.

That said, I do carry a portable compressor in my other car, if only because the days of courtesy air at service stations is long gone, and the coin-op ones, when you can find one, seem to only work half the time. I need to look for a nice small one for the 500e, (the one I have is a nice high-volume one, but also on the large size) being as there isn't much space to begin with, and I like to keep the cargo area as clear as possible for, you know, actual cargo.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Maybe I should have said "punctures" instead of "flats". I usually go about 5 days between drives though, so even a fairly slow leak sometimes does go flat by that time. If I recall correctly it's always been nails, screws, or other sharp construction debris. My town is over 100 years old, so maybe it has more reconstruction than others.

I like to keep the cargo area as clean as possible, or tightly packed across its width, for high-speed cornering, so after removing the hatch's space-reducing false floor I put the the jumpstarter & OEM tire kit behind the front right seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.