Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Let me start off by saying I absolutely love this car. I do have a few issues/concerns about my 500 that maybe somebody can help me out with.

1. I have had the car for 3 months now and I am worried about my transmission. This is my first manual car and well I'm afraid or paranoid that the learning process will take a toll on my clutch. How much can the clutch take before it needs replacing?

2. I have noticed a few paint chips on my front bumper probably due to kicked up rocks and the terrible conditions of New York roads. Has anyone had paint issues with their 500? I don't want a small chip to get worse and worse.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
All depends how you drive. You can make the clutch last 20,000 miles or 60,000 miles.

Paint chips suck. Given they are on plastic, no worries about rust. It should not spread like a crack in the windshield.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
All cars, get rock chips, from driving. The car is still too new here, to know about clutch replacement. Just be good to your clutch. I've had had them last 70-90k miles, in the past, on my Honda's. Check out some Fiat 500 European sites for this issue. Just enjoy driving your 500.

·
Registered
700 Posts
get some touch up paint and touch up the areas as soon as you see them clean your car as much as possible
our clutch is another thing these are fairly new cars so how durable is yet to be determined as anything in life take care of it dont abuse it....if your at a stop let out the clutch and take it out of gear dont ride it...use hill assist dont know if you have any hills make sure your high idle is down before attempting to shift into reverse so it goes in smooth

you may want to consider a front end cover either the mopar one or a clear one....
the front end is plastic and it wont rust...but take care of it...

·
Registered
582 Posts
For clutch preservation don't down shift to slow the car down unless you are maintaining momentum or for turns etc, but for stop signs or traffic lights just use the brake they are cheaper to replace. I've only replaced a clutch once and that's because the throw bearing broke and even that car had over 200,000 Kms on the original clutch.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A clutch can last 100-200k. I've had them last 80-90k on a motorcycle.

I agree - and I'm pretty damned aggressive with my cars. I've never understood how people can smoke a clutch in so little mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts