Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to see if there are any 500s with aftermarket head units already. Im considering it when i get mine and already shopping around for something i can put in my current car and switch over when i get my fiat. Im also curious about how it will effect any features of the car like steering wheel controls and Blue&Me. Im not sure if its better to just focus on the speakers and amp and leave the head unit alone or change all of it. I don't use CDs, i use 80% Pandora on my iPhone 4 and 20% iPod. I don't use radio cause the antenna on my jetta is broken. Im guessing i would once i get a working radio. Anyway just looking for some advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you replace the head unit, you loose functions like seeing the radio station and song playing on the dash, and it some cases Blue & Me. You can put a system in it and keep the original head unit though. I'm putting in a couple of 12" subs and some 8" subs in mine. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would only replace the headunit if you don't like its features. I have replaced every other component of the sound system and it sounds amazing.

The factory headunit on my sport controls pandora. I have track forward and the titles of the artist in the readout on the headunit.

I will be replacing the headunit with a double din Kenwood Navigation system later this year after all the new models of out. I want to add backup and side views cameras.

There are dash kits out there to put a normal size radio in the Fiat. Metra (a radio replacement parts company) is working on a plug and play wire harness. For right now any decent car audio company should be able to install whichever radio suits your needs. Also, the parts to retain the steering wheel controls are available now.

But....... If you want better sound in a Fiat don't replace the headunit, replace the speakers. and add a better amp!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The factory headunit on my sport controls Pandora. I have track forward and the titles of the artist in the readout on the headunit.
How is it controlling Pandora? and how did you get the display on ur head unit? i have an Android and the Bose

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've replaced my head unit and every one of my speakers except for the tweeters in front. My car didn't come with Blue & Me or have any music controls on the back of the steering wheel so I didn't have to worry about jacking any of those up.

I'm not a rattling bass sort of girl so I love the sound of the Polks I put in and my Kenwood head unit handles everything -- it's sweet and clear, and just fine by me!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an iPhone 3gs. I just plugged into the USB port with my sync cable. The radio starts playing my iTunes collection. Then on the iPhone I launch Pandora and it starts playing through the system. I have track control with my steering wheel and the track info is on the radio display.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dont forget that there seems to be some sort of interface issue with adding an aftermarket radio... namely the flashing odometer.

I would think an interface kit would resolve it when it becomes available, but dunno yet...

feedback, thoughts??
(I am waiting to get a "fix" for it before ordering one myself - its really amazing how little information the "studios" around here actually have)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im curious to see if there are any 500s with aftermarket head units already. Im considering it when i get mine and already shopping around for something i can put in my current car and switch over when i get my fiat. Im also curious about how it will effect any features of the car like steering wheel controls and Blue&Me. Im not sure if its better to just focus on the speakers and amp and leave the head unit alone or change all of it. I don't use CDs, i use 80% Pandora on my iPhone 4 and 20% iPod. I don't use radio cause the antenna on my jetta is broken. Im guessing i would once i get a working radio. Anyway just looking for some advice.
if you are happy with the FEATURES of the head unit and the LOOK of the head unit, leave it alone.
If you are looking for better sound, look at speakers and amps... I have found over the years that "branded" components are nowhere near the quality as their retail counterparts...
example: Polk OEM speakers dont sound near as clear as the "same" Polk speakers sold at a retail store.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what i plan on doing, the system is actually perfect for me but if i want something better im not going to mess with the head unit just upgrade the speakers. I have the BOSE unit so it has a AMP and SUB and sounds pretty **** good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dont forget that there seems to be some sort of interface issue with adding an aftermarket radio... namely the flashing odometer.
Yep! My odometer flashes happily at me. I'm growing adept at ignoring it but I can't wait for the interface/update whatever. However, if given the chance to go back and do it again I'd still install my aftermarket. I like seeing the tune names scrolling across the front and I like having a USB port to play from a stick or an mp3 player. Tidbit didn't come with a USB installed so before I got my aftermarket installed it was like reliving my childhood again, sans the 8-track/cassette player. :)

Blinking odometer = totally worth it.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didn't have tune names on screen or a USB port? Again another thing my car has that i thought was standard. BTW i was told by Hector at Holt that they can reset the blinking odometer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You didn't have tune names on screen or a USB port? Again another thing my car has that i thought was standard. BTW i was told by Hector at Holt that they can reset the blinking odometer.
My car (apparently) was one of the first-gen ones, before the USB port/Blue&Me or the music button control on the back of the steering wheel became standard. I could see the tune names scroll across my stock headunit/control cluster, but only when the radio was playing and not when I plugged my mp3 player in through the aux jack in the glovebox. The aux jack is the only factory installed access option my car has.

I went to Holt about three weeks ago with my flashing odometer issue to get Hector to reset everything. He did all the latest updates at the time but it did not fix the blinking odometer. Hector told me at that time that the aftermarket unit was the culprit and that there was no fix so far but that Fiat would have to address it very soon as more and more of their customers would be changing out their stock units. If you've talked to him since then and he told you there's a fix, I'm headed back to the dealer's tonight!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Save your time.

Hector is a frikkin idiot that doesnt have the slightest clue about these cars or their computer networks.

This would be the same genius that thought you could just swap out clusters with no ill effects - and that the computer would "learn" the new mileage after a few days.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I thought all the 500's had USB, and a Aux plug in the glove box. Could I be wrong? Is you car a POP?

BLUE&ME™ Hands-Free Communication with iPod® mobile device, USB and MP3 Interface, on the POP model.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I thought all the 500's had USB, and a Aux plug in the glove box. Could I be wrong? Is you car a POP? BLUE&ME™ Hands-Free Communication with iPod® mobile device, USB and MP3 Interface, on the POP model.
She just has one of the very early models which were fairly bare as options go, no B&M and USB port and controls like the ones currently offered.

·
Registered
71 Posts
She just has one of the very early models which were fairly bare as options go, no B&M and USB port and controls like the ones currently offered.
Yep, that would be me. I mourned it briefly and then realized I had no need of it. I don't now (and never plan to) have a smart phone or use bluetooth, and I knew that once I put my aftermarket head unit in I would lose the use of the steering wheel music controls unless I spent another pretty penny on the connectors, so......eh. I'm not worried about resale value at all....she's MINE MINE for many years to come the gods willing! Not having all that stuff just gave me more leeway to make her completely mine without any lingering guilty worry.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I guess, I always looked at the loaded cars. Never thought the lower priced model didn't have those options. My other cars, just have AUX jacks. I do like the Blue&Me/Nav/USB. Voice control, steering wheel control, Nav control.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Love the blue and me. My iphone streams net radio, MP3, phone calls all from the steering wheel. Love it! Plus I have the bose system. Plenty loud enough for me.

For the people that complain with the bose system the volume only goes up to 35... in the radio menu shut off the max volume control and you can turn it up louder.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I'm a couple blocks from our dealer. Will have to look into the windows, at the low priced Pops up there.

Love that Bose too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts