Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research and I am considering putting in a roof.

I of course wanted one but the loss in headroom was a deal breaker.

they make almost the same roof system but the installer said I will lose some headroom maybe not as much as factory but I'm not taking that chance.

I was thinking old school pop up sunroof which would be removable and quite practical cost wise at $350.00.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
A pop up, would be the best choice, and cheap too. My OEM make a lot of wind noise on the highway.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A pop up, would be the best choice, and cheap too. My OEM make a lot of wind noise on the highway.
That's what the installer said would happen with the electric option. Would be cool to have the option to pull it out for cruising too.

only issue is the checker roof will get a little funky.

Ill keep ya posted

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't do it.... my cousin had one installed in his malibu and it's never sat right.... always leaked...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Don't do it, trade the car in if you want it that bad.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My OEM make a lot of wind noise on the highway.
A lot is an understatement! I have always heard so many horror stories about eventual if not immediate leaking problems and fitting issues I would be rather terrified of the possible problems. I know we are not taking votes but I give a thumbs down for this one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i put a webasto sunroof..power...in my ford ranger...no leaks had it in for 7 years traded in the truck for my 500 dont miss
the sunroof id rather drive with the window down as the 500 has little wind issues while open versus my ranger

good luck and if you put one in post pictures.......

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
i put a webasto sunroof..power...in my ford ranger...no leaks had it in for 7 years traded in the truck for my 500 dont miss
the sunroof id rather drive with the window down as the 500 has little wind issues while open versus my ranger

good luck and if you put one in post pictures.......
One of the 500 owners up in Minnesota has a Webasto sunroof installed in his 500. He was very satisfied with it. It didn't take virtually any of his headroom away, had a solid sunscreen that completely blocked the sun and looked very professional.

Reactions: Tedolph

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
3 things to consider:

1) warranty and service.
the company that is installing it, will they be around in a year, 3 years, 5 years? will the manufacturer of the sunroof be around to supply parts?

2) leaks. no explaination necessary.

3) resale value. aftermarket sunroofs will generally DECREASE your resale/trade-in value. so yes, you're only spending $350 but the value of your 500 may decrease by as much as $1,000.

the bottom line is, you're cutting a hole in your roof. its not something that you can 'un-do'. so you gotta ask yourself.....is it worth it?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, but I have to assume that at the very least some of the shops who offer the service know what they're doing and do it right.

I never considered resale value, but I'd have to agree. It's a risky choice to take for an uncertain outcome.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
3 things to consider:

1) warranty and service.
the company that is installing it, will they be around in a year, 3 years, 5 years? will the manufacturer of the sunroof be around to supply parts?

2) leaks. no explaination necessary.

3) resale value. aftermarket sunroofs will generally DECREASE your resale/trade-in value. so yes, you're only spending $350 but the value of your 500 may decrease by as much as $1,000.

the bottom line is, you're cutting a hole in your roof. its not something that you can 'un-do'. so you gotta ask yourself.....is it worth it?
^My reasons exactly

1 - 20 of 72 Posts