Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me preface this with some disclaimers:

1. I traded in a large vehicle for my 500, so this isn't some tirade against large vehicles.
2. I live in Minnesota, which recently officially changed its nicknames from "The Northstar State" and "Land of 10,000 Lakes" to "The Tailgating Driver State" and "Land of 10,000 Rear-end Collisions".

So, tonight on the way home from work I had a nice little encounter with somebody driving this huge pickup truck approximately 3/4 of an inch from my bumper. As I mentioned in my disclaimer, folks here like to ride on each other's bumpers here for some reason, but this felt a little different. This seemed to me to be intentional, and personal. Has anyone else experienced this yet in their 500? It almost felt like the guy was thinking "Hmm, let's see if I can scare the crap out of the driver of this tiny car".

I mean, I knew that I was going to have to be more alert in a small car, but I guess I didn't really think I was going to have to deal with someone targeting me. That is, if I'm right about the situation. Could have been just someone that is mad at the world and I happened to be in his way, I suppose.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
So let me preface this with some disclaimers:

1. I traded in a large vehicle for my 500, so this isn't some tirade against large vehicles.
2. I live in Minnesota, which recently officially changed its nicknames from "The Northstar State" and "Land of 10,000 Lakes" to "The Tailgating Driver State" and "Land of 10,000 Rear-end Collisions".

So, tonight on the way home from work I had a nice little encounter with somebody driving this huge pickup truck approximately 3/4 of an inch from my bumper. As I mentioned in my disclaimer, folks here like to ride on each other's bumpers here for some reason, but this felt a little different. This seemed to me to be intentional, and personal. Has anyone else experienced this yet in their 500? It almost felt like the guy was thinking "Hmm, let's see if I can scare the crap out of the driver of this tiny car".

I mean, I knew that I was going to have to be more alert in a small car, but I guess I didn't really think I was going to have to deal with someone targeting me. That is, if I'm right about the situation. Could have been just someone that is mad at the world and I happened to be in his way, I suppose.
Take a picture of the guy and call the police for possible drunk driver with a possible weapon. That'll take care of him.

Reactions: Col Pudgebutt

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in Minnesota also and own a full size Ram also. I have noticed that ever since I've owned the 500 there has been a general lack of respect,tailgating, getting cut off on a regular basis and people looking to race. Not once ever, have these things happened to me in my full sized Ram. I have noticed you have to be very careful when driving your 500

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Minnesota also and own a full size Ram also. I have noticed that ever since I've owned the 500 there has been a general lack of respect,tailgating, getting cut off on a regular basis and people looking to race. Not once ever, have these things happened to me in my full sized Ram. I have noticed you have to be very careful when driving your 500
Hmm, well I'm glad it's not just me being paranoid. Could it also be that when you're in the 500 you really see how close people get? I'm thinking that might also be a factor. When I had the large vehicle people were tailgating me but I often felt like that was something going on "way back there". In the 500 you can almost feel the heat from their radiator on the back of your neck.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I was driving down the road and see a Acura TL flying up on me. He got right up my ***. So guess what happened text? He saw my rear end light up as I jacked up my brakes and see him swerve to the right from avoiding me it was great.... So instead of riding my rear he turned on his high beams. Oh well

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I was driving down the road and see a Acura TL flying up on me. He got right up my ***. So guess what happened text? He saw my rear end light up as I jacked up my brakes and see him swerve to the right from avoiding me it was great.... So instead of riding my rear he turned on his high beams. Oh well
Ah, the old stop and swerve. I usually do that with a faster car so I can hunt them down. I find pulling over abruptly, letting them pass and pulling up next to them again really freaks them out. When I was younger I used act like I was under meds and I'd laugh at them with my head out the window while swerving. That made them back off also.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I always have a fuel cutoff switch installed in all my cars. Anything gets too close to my arse and my car loses power :) As with all things in life, psychology works wonders, someone who rides your arse is trying to exert their will on you. When they get the opposite of their desire (ie: now your going even slower), they almost always zoom past at the 1st opportunity and display just how fast they are to you. This accomplishes two things, it makes you smile because you have caused them to react the way you want, and in their haste to show you just how awesomely fast they are...they are soon out of your life.

This has the added benefit of being much less likely to have the moron crinkle your bumper.

Reactions: lorvar

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just drive like I'm in a bigger car, like Tweak. If someone is being belligerent, then I do like Lor and let them pass, then tail or pass them.

What I do NOT do is slow down and make them get even more upset... at least not when they have no way to get around me. If there's a way to get around me, then I take the initiative and move over, forcing them to go around. Most times, they just get stuck tailgating the car *I* was following. I just laugh at their stupidity and feel sorry for the next target in their sights.

Oh yeah, the reason I don't slow down when there's no way for them to get around me is 'cus I don't feel like trying to catch a bullet in my teeth, thanks. While I don't believe everyone who drives badly is a gun toting gangsta-wannabe (or a fo realz gangsta), one incident of just such a thing happening nearby recently is enough for me to avoid the situation entirely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've always driven small cars and this happens to me all of the time. There is no excuse why someone should be this rude (unless it's a medical emergency). It's not just trucks who do it, it's everyone.

I find it hilarious when I am driving the speed limit (sometimes over) and these jerks are tailgating me and then they pass me so fast to prove a point. But then we end up being stuck at the same light. What did it cost?

Me: a challenge to remain disciplined and controlled
Them: $20 and a punch to their ego

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I've had cars much larger than my 500 (my 08 Charger) and actually much smaller (my 09 smart Passion Coupe) and my share of trucks, but I drive each one the same way.

oddly, while you guys are complaining about the lack of courtesy and respect for 500 owners on the road, while I'm in my 500 I feel like I'm being given much more courtesy and get much more respect than I did in my smart car.

so if you think you don't get respect NOW.....go drive a smart car in the interstate sometime. :eek: :p

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I just take my sweet time, and let the bigger cars pass me. They don't know, that I have the power to over take the most of them. Didn't have that advantage in my smart car. I just wait, get a good position on the highway, and pull right back in front of them, and floor it. Being small doesn't mean slow. Most the time I just let them have their way.
Not worth my life, screwing with them. Let them be jerks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ok, I don't know how intentional this was, but this just happened to me last night.

Driving home on an empty interstate, about 10:45PM. Cruise control set to 65mph. Out of nowhere, didn't see him coming, big pickup (the kind with the lift kit) pops right up on my butt.

No cars around us, I'm in the right lane, minding my business. He's right on my rear, no reason to be that close, and no reason not to pass me.

He also had his headlights, brushbar lights, rollbar lights, and fog lights all on, which was lighting up the inside of my car like a 7-Eleven.

After a few minutes, I dropped the cruise control off, so the car immediately dipped down about five mph, with no warning light tail lights coming on.

I know, I know, he could have easily rear-ended me, but behavior like that does cause one to lose his better judgement.

Anyway, no moral to the story or anything, he pulled along side me for a few seconds, then roared off. He was probably giving me the finger or something, but I couldn't tell.

I used to live in MN -- around the Twin Cities. When I lived there, I remember reading a report that MN drivers were ranked the worst at knowing how to/letting people merge. That always made me laugh a little. I do miss the on-ramp meter lights, though. They just added a few of those around here (Cincy, OH) and people went ballistic at the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd already mentioned this in another thread, but I figured I'd weigh in here too.

I live in a very truck centric city. And not just trucks, but jacked up trucks. Most trucks are sold lifted from the dealership because most people work in oilfield around here. Some choose to lift them even more and put large shiny chrome rims to "show off". These are the trucks that never see off road. (Pavement Princesses)

I've become very used to most of the drivers around here being overly aggressive to small cars. I've only ever driven small cars and at least once a day some joker in a jacked up truck will pull up beside me at a light and speed off or get right on my bumper with their illegal aftermarket HIDs lighting up the entire interior of my car. The other end of the spectrum is people pulling up beside in Civics or Cavaliers with a aluminum spoiler revving their engines trying to race me. I just let these people speed off.

I used to let it bother me but I came to realize that these people are just idiots trying to compensate. Just wave your pinky at them and move on. I don't have anything to prove or compensate for. Don't let these idiots get the better of you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had cars much larger than my 500 (my 08 Charger) and actually much smaller (my 09 smart Passion Coupe) and my share of trucks, but I drive each one the same way.

oddly, while you guys are complaining about the lack of courtesy and respect for 500 owners on the road, while I'm in my 500 I feel like I'm being given much more courtesy and get much more respect than I did in my smart car.

so if you think you don't get respect NOW.....go drive a smart car in the interstate sometime. :eek: :p
Hail to the truth! Same happened to me in my Smart. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thx for the replies. I'm thinking now it's more to do with where I live than what I drive.
I just sold a 2010 Honda Insight, it was by all standards a sub-compact car. I just test drove a 500 and the Insight is about as wide, but slightly longer. That said I notice the same thing everytime I drove that car, tailgating, getting cut-off, people never using their signal. People almost always getting from behind me at a stop light and choosing the next car thinking my car was going to be slow starting out etc...

I absolutely think this was because of the cars size along with the Hybrid stereotype etc.. My old work truck was a Chevy 2500 HD and nobody ever tailgated me while driving that, pretty much the same with my Subaru Outback. However now that my work truck is a Ford Ranger (Compact pickup) I always get guys in full sized trucks tailgating me or cutting me off as if they have something to prove. I never retaliate though, it's not worth damaging your car or someone else over. At the end of the day I just have to remind myself "At least I'm not throwing my retirement money into the tank of that behemoth"

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think most of you are missing the most simple point:

All these driver have 1 thing in common - They don't want to be behind you in whatever car you are driving.

Honestly, when I'm driving down the road, I don't want to be behind anyone, myself.

Doesn't matter if I'm driving Bat's 500, my RX-8, one of our Ducati's, or something else. I just don't like being behind other people. I just don't tailgate others, unless I'm in the process of making a pass.

I'm not passing people to prove that I can pass them, or that my vehicle's better than theirs is, I'm passing them because I don't want to be behind them anymore.

As for those of you who do douche bag maneuvers when you feel someone is annoying you, like accelerating when someone finally gets to a passing lane, those are the moments where I wish I had a paintball gun with me, and that your window was wide open when I pull up alongside you when you pull that type of maneuver.

You're trying to teach others a lesson, don't be surprised when someone teaches you a much worse lesson right back.

BC.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think most of you are missing the most simple point:

All these driver have 1 thing in common - They don't want to be behind you in whatever car you are driving.

Honestly, when I'm driving down the road, I don't want to be behind anyone, myself.

Doesn't matter if I'm driving Bat's 500, my RX-8, one of our Ducati's, or something else. I just don't like being behind other people. I just don't tailgate others, unless I'm in the process of making a pass.

I'm not passing people to prove that I can pass them, or that my vehicle's better than theirs is, I'm passing them because I don't want to be behind them anymore.

As for those of you who do douche bag maneuvers when you feel someone is annoying you, like accelerating when someone finally gets to a passing lane, those are the moments where I wish I had a paintball gun with me, and that your window was wide open when I pull up alongside you when you pull that type of maneuver.

You're trying to teach others a lesson, don't be surprised when someone teaches you a much worse lesson right back.

BC.

I don't like to be behind people in line at the grocery store but that doesn't mean I'm going to get so close to them they can feel my breath on their neck or cut them off when I have the chance.

This might be your reasoning but I really doubt it's the other obnoxious drivers.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts