Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2016 fiat 500e.
The AC seems to not be working like it does on normal motor vehicle.
It just seems like it doesn't blow cold enough air it seems like its warmish hair instead even though its on lowest temperate and AC is toggled.
First time owning an EV so I dont know if this is how an EV is suppose to be or my fiats AC not working properly...

·
Registered
275 Posts
My A/C blows cold air. Do you have it set to a certain temperature, or to "low"? "Low" seems to be the fresh air setting, you might set it to 10-15 degrees below ambient and it should blow cold in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Mine also can make the cabin quite chilly; if you are sure that the settings are as intended w/o satisfaction, perhaps have a visit to the studio...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mine blows ice cold...

Reactions: twinturboz

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Low" seems to be the fresh air setting,
I'll need to try that because there are times where I don't want the windows down but want a little air coming in.

I can't really help with the AC because I don't think I've ever used it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got 2016 fiat 500e.
The AC seems to not be working like it does on normal motor vehicle.
It just seems like it doesn't blow cold enough air it seems like its warmish hair instead even though its on lowest temperate and AC is toggled.
First time owning an EV so I dont know if this is how an EV is suppose to be or my fiats AC not working properly...
It should be blowing cold like a normal AC. Mine recently stopped blowing cold due to a bad compressor and a plugged condenser. It took just about 6 weeks to get the car back since it took quite a while to get parts, but unfortunately since the compressor was getting so hot they couldn't release the car back to me while we waited for parts. May not be the same issue you're having, but my bad compressor was getting so hot they considered it a safety issue so you may want to have it looked at.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's either broken or you're using the controls wrong. Low works great as a setting for temperature. Make sure that the AC button is lit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
AC button is definitely lit and I press the thats pointing arrow at the top(face) but does not seem cold at all.
I might stop by at a fiat studio to have to check it out I also would like to try the AC out on a different Fiat.
Car has less then 1000 miles but still that doesn't matter :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
AC button is definitely lit and I press the thats pointing arrow at the top(face) but does not seem cold at all.
I might stop by at a fiat studio to have to check it out I also would like to try the AC out on a different Fiat.
I'm not exactly following what you wrote.
Have the AC light lit, and the light lit indicating the airflow is coming straight out of the vents (middle button on the right side). Be sure the temperature setting is below what the temperature of the car is. Is there strong air flow out of the dash vents?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's possible you're doing something wrong, but I seriously doubt it. I think you just have a bum AC. It happens. This is a FIAT, ya know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to a near by fiat studio but not where i leased my car from. Walked in told the guy my situation he had a 500e in the showroom he brought the keys and told me to give it a try I turned on the AC same way I turn it on in my car and dam! It was blowing very cold air nothing compared to my car and exact same setting as well. Made an appointment at the service department to get the car checked out it has less than 1000 miles this is ridicilous. Hopefully they give me a loaner car or something. I also installed LED lights but i dont think that modification wouldve damaged anything AC related.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up the car from fiat service department. They said they found no leaks and they recharged the AC system. Working like its suppose to right now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just picked up the car from fiat service department. They said they found no leaks and they recharged the AC system. Working like its suppose to right now.
Driving over bumpy roads and cold climate have a big factor on AC pressure. You could of simply just lost some pressure over time and didn't realize

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Driving over bumpy roads and cold climate have a big factor on AC pressure. You could of simply just lost some pressure over time and didn't realize
Im in California cars garaged and its always sunny here plus car has less than 1000 miles. I talked to the service guy he told me sometimes cars come from the factory without refrigerant in it. Freon or whatever they call it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Im in California cars garaged and its always sunny here plus car has less than 1000 miles. I talked to the service guy he told me sometimes cars come from the factory without refrigerant in it. Freon or whatever they call it.
What?? Since when do they forget to put freon in them? That just seems careless on their part.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No 500e has Freon in its a/c, but we're talking semantics here.

Freon is a tradename for R12, the chlorofluorocarbon refrigerant used in car a/c systems until the early 90s. R12 chemically attacks the atmosphere's ozone layer, and international treaties from the late 80s prohibited its manufacture and discouraged its use.

Cars (including the 500e) now come with R134a refrigerant, a different chemical (tetrafluoroethane) that has insignificant ozone depletion potential.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts