Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it is 95 here in southern california, I see a weak point in this car. Air conditioning will not cool car in 95 degrees. Not good in traffic. Better at speed. Compressor capacity too small. Kind of a dumb mistake for Fiat for a U.S. car. The Smart and the Mini are great in this department. Thank God it is not humid!!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Now that it is 95 here in southern california, I see a weak point in this car. Air conditioning will not cool car in 95 degrees. Not good in traffic. Better at speed. Compressor capacity too small. Kind of a dumb mistake for Fiat for a U.S. car. The Smart and the Mini are great in this department. Thank God it is not humid!!
Compressor capacity has nothing to do with it. If you understood air conditioning and how it works you would know that. BTW mine worked fine today in 90+ degree heat in Redding.

Dave

BTW I have twisted wrenches for over 30 years.......I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you know then tell me why in 95 degrees and stop and go traffic, the car is cool but not really. Would never make Vegas in summer. I don't know as much as you genius, but I know my Jeep Rubi and Audi A5 and 1995 Bentley were cold today. If you are going to comment don't criticize --- try to be helpful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My guess is that the fan inside the car doesn't have enough circulation to really cool the car. This is a pretty good write up on how AC works.

http://www.airconcars.com/html/how_it_works.html

Unlike heat, AC seems to require a bigger airflow to actually cool things down. Every Italian car I have owned has suffered from this. Unfortunately its still cold in DC so I haven't been able to tell if its fixed in the 500...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Well if you know then tell me why in 95 degrees and stop and go traffic, the car is cool but not really. Would never make Vegas in summer. I don't know as much as you genius, but I know my Jeep Rubi and Audi A5 and 1995 Bentley were cold today. If you are going to comment don't criticize --- try to be helpful.
The compressor compresses gas to a liquid. The liquid becoming gas again in the evaporator becomes cool. The fan blows air through the evaporator what cold air you get. If you have the unit on recirculate you are cooling cooler air in the cabin. On VERY hot days this works best. If you are pulling in 95 degree outside air and trying to cool it you are overworking the system.

The other thing to understand is the size of your other cars. They can have a oversized AC system that could freeze you out and likely do. The tiny system in a tiny car I think works very well for an "economy car". If you want lousy AC try a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. My wife has one and it is VERY poor.

Sorry if I sounded nasty :eek: it was not my intent. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am supposed to take delivery this week. I'm in Phoenix. I'll get Huper Optik tint for the windows but don't want to deal with a crap AC system. I had a Honda Fit and it had a horrible system for the desert. Even on recirc, when it is hot and the intense sun is blazing through the windows, you need a system that works. If anyone else has info on this, I would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Florida and it's always hot and humid. Until today the a/c has worked great. I keep my 500 in a garage, but today I turned it on and it never even got cool. I normally will turn the fan to '2' on the dial and it's enough to cool it nicely. But today, no such luck. I turned it up to full blast at '4' and after a 30 minute ride the it hadn't cooled at all. I was miserable going into work. I'm hoping it's something simple & not a compressor or something.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Strange, I do NOT have that problem and I live in Central Florida where the temp is still in the 90's and the humidity isn't far behind. Perhaps you should have your studio/dealer check the charge in the AC system.

I also had Pinnacle ceramic tint added to all windows except windshield, including sunroof.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I live in Florida and it's always hot and humid. Until today the a/c has worked great. I keep my 500 in a garage, but today I turned it on and it never even got cool. I normally will turn the fan to '2' on the dial and it's enough to cool it nicely. But today, no such luck. I turned it up to full blast at '4' and after a 30 minute ride the it hadn't cooled at all. I was miserable going into work. I'm hoping it's something simple & not a compressor or something.
Most likely a small leak which has finally caused the refrigerant gas charge to drop below critical level resulting in loss of cooling. Of course it could be compressor or even just a blown fuse. You don't say where in Florida....I'm in Orlando. Have your studio check it out, surely it is still under warranty, so whatever the cause it should be taken care of.

I keep my 500 Sport garaged also. I have the Auto Climate Control system, which so far is operating normally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow...had I read this before Monday I would not have bought a Fiat...hope the AC works okay in ours next summer. Oklahoma gets the worst of both worlds...temps exceeding 110F AND humidity.

The windows do have okay tinting on our Fiat, though. Hope it helps...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hopefully not to point out the obvious here but my AC works alot better with re-circulating air as opposed to direct air from the outside. Dial on the far right with one image of an arrow going over the car then the other with the circled arrow over the car.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Wow...had I read this before Monday I would not have bought a Fiat...hope the AC works okay in ours next summer. Oklahoma gets the worst of both worlds...temps exceeding 110F AND humidity.

The windows do have okay tinting on our Fiat, though. Hope it helps...
Not sure if it helps but I have been around this forum for a pretty good time now and very few times has anything problematic came up in relation to the heat/cooling of the 500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in Phoenix and I think it works just fine. I dont ever have to run it at full blast even! I do have my windows tinted and that helps keep it from being a total oven but I think it cools down nicely.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I live in Texas with consecutive 100+ degree days and my Auto AC in my 500 hasnt had any issues keeping me cool. I usually keep it on recirculate though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Arkansas close to the Texas border and have seen 95 also with no issues. The car is not garaged and is keep on recirc. Turn the dial to 3 and before long it will go back to 2. Granted it's not as strong as the system in our Merc C300 but for the small car seems to work well.

Might want to return to the studio and have them check it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I live in Texas with consecutive 100+ degree days and my Auto AC in my 500 hasnt had any issues keeping me cool. I usually keep it on recirculate though.

same here, arlington tx where days average 106, and my ac is fine. Does it have the sunroof? Because I test drove one with the sunroof and the ac couldn't keep it cool

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The compressor compresses gas to a liquid. The liquid becoming gas again in the evaporator becomes cool. The fan blows air through the evaporator what cold air you get. If you have the unit on recirculate you are cooling cooler air in the cabin. On VERY hot days this works best. If you are pulling in 95 degree outside air and trying to cool it you are overworking the system.

The other thing to understand is the size of your other cars. They can have a oversized AC system that could freeze you out and likely do. The tiny system in a tiny car I think works very well for an "economy car". If you want lousy AC try a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. My wife has one and it is VERY poor.

Sorry if I sounded nasty :eek: it was not my intent. :)
I just saw this thread and correct the way an A/C system works.

The compressor does not, change the gas into a liquid. Coming from the compressor it is a high pressure gas which travels through the condenser mounted in front of or behind the radiator where it changes into a liquid. This high pressure liquid then goes to a metering device that changes it into a low pressure saturated gas that travels through the evaporator and turns into a low pressure gas. it enters the compressor as a low pressure gas where the cycle repeats.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I just saw this thread and correct the way an A/C system works.

The compressor does not, change the gas into a liquid. Coming from the compressor it is a high pressure gas which travels through the condenser mounted in front of or behind the radiator where it changes into a liquid. This high pressure liquid then goes to a metering device that changes it into a low pressure saturated gas that travels through the evaporator and turns into a low pressure gas. it enters the compressor as a low pressure gas where the cycle repeats.
Picky, picky, picky!:):D

1 - 20 of 104 Posts