Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this spring, while flipping to Defrost, the air direction knob stopped working.

Apparently, the knob still works as if I flip it to DEFROST the AC kicks off, but the air direction doesn't change.

I've done a search on this here -- and made a post on Reddit a few weeks ago (not very helpful!) but can't find anything. I may be using the wrong terminology.

2014 Fiat 500L. Think it is the Pop edition. Probably doesn't matter for this issue!

Looking for a DIY fix. Heck, even if I can MANUALLY change the direction of the air to the vents, I'd be HAPPY! Right now, shoots to the floor. Been driving in 95 degree weather with my shoes off because its the only way to cool down!!!

Thanks in advance! This is my first post, so if I didn't follow any etiquette, apologies in advanced!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've not been in a 500L, so am going from schematics and owner's manual. Which control do you have, manual or automatic system? Have you tried changing to other vents (floor or dash)? Maybe try selecting heat and windshield? It might help debug.

As for manual control, in the old days that might be possible... vice grips on the shaft. Fiat uses an actuator to shift the vent flap(s) in the heater box, as best I can find, so no longer an option. Years ago, my friend routed a flexible plastic tube, duct taped over his passenger floor heater vent, up to the windshield. Really tacky.

For the 500, it should be part 17 on this schematic. Call to verify it fits and is the proper part because I didn't see a schematic (that site) for the 500L. (It looked the same on the other schematic.) At $25 and a couple hours, worth the gamble? (They are easy to replace, once you can get to them.)
https://www.moparpartssurplus.com/a/Fiat__500/42442585__5612852/Heater-Unit/i2265584.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! Sadly, I can't see the part because it looks like a blocky linedrawing blown up. I can't actually verify if it is the same.

How hard it is to get into this device? And is there a decent service manual out there for the 500L? I've had one for every other car I've owned, but this is the first where the only thing I can find is an online video subscription. Which might be good, but I have no idea if it shows EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sorry, I copied the URL.

Before you consider parts, I found one other simple thing to check. The car has 2 fuse panels. One is under the hood, but I think the only fuse there is for the blower. The second is inside, about where your left knee is, I think. A panel lid pops off. Under the lid, the 500 has 3 fuses labeled climate control, or something like that. (I forget the exact wording.) If you check each fuse, it is possible one is blown.

There are repair manuals. I used this company for my former car. They have the '14 500, but I don't know about the 500L.
https://www.emanualonline.com/Cars/...MI19y216e74wIVDlYMCh3b-AsqEAQYASABEgJ0VPD_BwE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Popped the hood and realized there were two panels as you said! I knew about the knee one. They REALLY make it inconvenient to get in it though!

Pulled all the ones out that could have been it...no tell tale signs of being blown. Thanks for the response!

I looked at the manual you sent and they only have the 500 not the 500L. They really are two different vehicles with the same three digits. Makes no sense when Fiat keeps the naming a it is very confusing. Going to junkyards everything is listed as 500 as well even if it were a 500L.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had the same issue as you thanks for sharing. I checked the fuse as well but that wasn't the problem. I read online on some air con servicing websites that the issue may be the fan system that had spoilt. I'll be bringing my air con to service soon. Now I tolerate it by placing a portable fan in my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had the same issue as you thanks for sharing. I checked the fuse as well but that wasn't the problem. I read online on some air con servicing websites that the issue may be the fan system that had spoilt. I'll be bringing my air con to service soon. Now I tolerate it by placing a portable fan in my car.
hey did your air con servicing help with your situation? Perhaps you wanna try this company's aircon gas top up service? I heard from other users that it is pretty good too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this spring, while flipping to Defrost, the air direction knob stopped working.

Apparently, the knob still works as if I flip it to DEFROST the AC kicks off, but the air direction doesn't change.

I've done a search on this here -- and made a post on Reddit a few weeks ago (not very helpful!) but can't find anything. I may be using the wrong terminology.

2014 Fiat 500L. Think it is the Pop edition. Probably doesn't matter for this issue!

Looking for a DIY fix. Heck, even if I can MANUALLY change the direction of the air to the vents, I'd be HAPPY! Right now, shoots to the floor. Been driving in 95 degree weather with my shoes off because its the only way to cool down!!!

Thanks in advance! This is my first post, so if I didn't follow any etiquette, apologies in advanced!
Hi i have a 2014 fiat 500L also having the same problem. no air blowing from the vents it only blows on the floor vents have you had any luck i can not find the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts