Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an aftermarket air intake system for their 500?

I'm wondering about the gains from these air intake systems.. Namely the BMC CDA or OTA and the K&N...

Also seen on the BMC website that they have the Fiat 500 BMC engine cover that seems to go with the CDA system... Wonder if that helps to reduce engine noise.. hahaz...

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
From what I've seen (and heard) of these kinds of customizations, a part that reduces noise would be the opposite effect they usually go for...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Air intake (Cold air induction)

Hi all. New to this forum. Owner of a 500 1.4 sport 2008 and based in Dublin, Ireland. Have fitted a Pipercross CAI but recently took it off for a Fiat service and missed it. Originally had a system from Jackson Racing on an MX5 that was great and was looking for them to do a new one for the 500 - but unfortunately they don't do Fiats. Of the ones on the market : BMC CDA - filter blocks up quickly, uses the same inlet for air 2 different ways of fitting it - one with a new feed going across the manifold (not ideal) and the other thru the original inlet. Not too successfull. Cover a waste of money. More recent one with ITG - supposedly the best Filter - a little cheaper (probably my preferred option). Other one is from GSR. Proven claims (about 10bhp). New feed from the 'ground' - some people nervous about sucking water in. When I fitted the Pipercross system I removed the original airbox but found the engine bay got quite hot. Used ceramic tape on the exhaust and re-fitted the airbox - reduced the heat build up in the engine bay. Note that the CAT is very close to the manifold. I struggled on putting a cold air feed up to the pipercross system and ending up using a 4 inch stainless flexible 'housing' that ran from the battery down to the wheel. I would be interested in a better system but would opt for the ITG system at the moment. http://www.nuova500shop.com/ At the moment the interest in the 1.4 has gone off the boil with the arrival of the Twin Air - quite a few are switching to this engine so it is unlikelly there will be any more developments on CAI unless the someone in the USA takes it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all. New to this forum. Owner of a 500 1.4 sport 2008 and based in Dublin, Ireland. Have fitted a Pipercross CAI but recently took it off for a Fiat service and missed it. Originally had a system from Jackson Racing on an MX5 that was great and was looking for them to do a new one for the 500 - but unfortunately they don't do Fiats. Of the ones on the market : BMC CDA - filter blocks up quickly, uses the same inlet for air 2 different ways of fitting it - one with a new feed going across the manifold (not ideal) and the other thru the original inlet. Not too successfull. Cover a waste of money. More recent one with ITG - supposedly the best Filter - a little cheaper (probably my preferred option). Other one is from GSR. Proven claims (about 10bhp). New feed from the 'ground' - some people nervous about sucking water in. When I fitted the Pipercross system I removed the original airbox but found the engine bay got quite hot. Used ceramic tape on the exhaust and re-fitted the airbox - reduced the heat build up in the engine bay. Note that the CAT is very close to the manifold. I struggled on putting a cold air feed up to the pipercross system and ending up using a 4 inch stainless flexible 'housing' that ran from the battery down to the wheel. I would be interested in a better system but would opt for the ITG system at the moment. http://www.nuova500shop.com/ At the moment the interest in the 1.4 has gone off the boil with the arrival of the Twin Air - quite a few are switching to this engine so it is unlikelly there will be any more developments on CAI unless the someone in the USA takes it up.
Thanks for the feedback! Will check up on the ITG system...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
we get tons of snow here in Alberta and a decent amount of rain so I am reluctant to buy a cold air and would be more comfortable with a short ram intake, any plans to make those?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts