Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 built Fiat 500S. I'm in Australia, so this is a Polish-built right-hand drive as opposed to the Mexican-built left-hand drive sold in the USA.

Where the passenger front airbag sits in the dashboard, I can see a visible "bump". I don't remember seeing this bump before, but I can't tell whether it's just because the light hit it just right this morning, or whether something has changed. Any clues? The dash is still firm to the touch. There's no warning lights or messages.

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
????? I'd run it by your dealership. Doesn't sound right. Shouldn't be a bump. Something is separating, in the dash board. Where the airbag is. Is your vehicle still under warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's about a month out of warranty. Which is how far out of warranty my last microwave presented an electrical fault, hah! I've booked in tomorrow for them to have a look. Here's a snapshot

dash-bag.jpg

Edit: Poor guy's been in the sun a lot more this year, and this summer's been pretty harsh (remember, Australia). Maybe the dash is melting. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer. Hopefully if it needs to be addressed (i.e. not just cosmetic), it can be done without:

a) Removing the entire dash (there's enough rattles and squeaks in the car as-is, that kind of work always introduces more).
b) Costing an arm and a leg (per warranty expiring last month).

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
That's the whole dash. That would need replacing. Here in the states. On certain model brands. The warranty on safety equipment goes way beyond the manufactures standard warranty. Our smart car was way out of its 2 year warranty. A seat belt went bad. MB replaced it free. 7 year, 70,000 warranty on safety equipment. You will need to check that out in Australia. Looks like that airbag, is expanding, on the passenger side. I never seen that happen on any vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's funny you mention never having seen it happen. I found some better search terms to use and found a lot of other stories of this kind of thing with not just a range of Fiat's, but other vehicles too. Range Rovers feature highly, Mazda RX8 gets a few mentions too. The common thread seems to be that it's not a safety issue, it's just the dash cover and it's an issue of heat exposure. I don't have permission to post links on this forum as yet, but search for fiat airbag cracked dash and there's a thread over on another Fiat forum talking about it. A guy in Israel (i.e hot weather) said he struggled to find any Fiat or Alfa parked on the street that didn't have a bulging or cracked dash cover above the passenger airbag!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The local dealer/garage was adamant this wasn't a compromise to the airbag, it wouldn't affect deployment, nor would it lead to accidental deployment. But Fiat have offered to cover all costs, so a new dash it is! Here's hoping it doesn't do it in another 3 years time.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
That's great news! Do you use a sunshield for your windshield? I have one for the windshield and in for the glass roof as well. That might keep the heat down inside as well as the addition of vent visors for the windows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it took a while for parts to arrive, but the job's now done and the dashboard is smooth and flat once again.

At first they'd said "not a problem, you can keep driving it". But... they changed their mind and decided they wanted to take my 500 off the road while waiting for the parts. Fortunately, they gave me a rental free of charge for the duration. That rental happened to be an SUV with a petrol and automatic transmission which was sooo sluggish. Gave me a new appreciation for my nippy 6sp manual 500!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you use a sunshield for your windshield?
I don't. I used to use one on a previous car but I found it always left the windscreen kind of misty, like a chemical coming out of the sunshield was leaving residue on the inside of the windscreen? Maybe just a crummy shield. Maybe I should reconsider. We're coming into winter here now in Aus, so no rush.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I don't. I used to use one on a previous car but I found it always left the windscreen kind of misty, like a chemical coming out of the sunshield was leaving residue on the inside of the windscreen? Maybe just a crummy shield. Maybe I should reconsider. We're coming into winter here now in Aus, so no rush.
Just wanted to point out that there is a very common assumption made by people that they do not need to use a sun shield in the winter or even on cloudy and rainy days.

Many think of them as as way to keep the car cooler but what is often overlooked during the not so sunny times is that UV light is still entering and damaging the interior. I'm suggesting you reconsider and always cover and protect your vehicle if you wish to own it and keep it in good shape for the long term.

I'm actually likely to go a little further with a half cover of sorts that reflects light/heat but also covers ALL the windows.

While I am looking at several I am leaning towards this one as I feel it will offer the best in terms of reflecting the heat.

(This is for the smart 453 not the Abarth the Abarth isn't driven too often and I have it parked out of the sun under my semi-enclosed carport).

https://www.itscoolinhere.com/

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I use my sunshade quite a lot and got a nice custom fit one from 500madness. Glad everything worked out and that Fiat of Australia took care of you. Kudos!

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
???

What does a sun shield have to do with safety?

tEdoph
You want to keep your interior safe from heat, and UV damage. Cuts down on the oil film, on the inside windshield. That can hinder visible, when driving in the the sun.

What part of that, don't you seem to understand?

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
You want to keep your interior safe from heat, and UV damage. Cuts down on the oil film, on the inside windshield. That can hinder visible, when driving in the the sun.

What part of that, don't you seem to understand?
"safety".

I have never heard that word used in that way, e.g. keeping your dashboard "safe".

TEdolph

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stewie, my passenger airbag has also caused a lump in the dash and has actually caused a split in the dash. I rang the dealership that sells Fiat and they said its not covered as it's out of warranty. Can you recommend who to call? Many thanks :) Fleur

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
I am not sure that this is true.

Don't air bags an other safety equipment, e.g. seat belts, have a separate warranty?

Tedolph

1 - 20 of 23 Posts