Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what the advantages are for buying the app..over the demo ??what does it do for that $49 ?Mostly regarding the 500e and just a car guy not a computer programmer...thanks for any input or direction if this is on another thread

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Full version is $49 (not $75).

Free version will not recalibrate the often-grabby transition from regen to friction brakes going from 7mph to 6mph:
Fix Grabby Brakes for $70 (click here)

Free version will not reset the contactor deactivation glitch, which is rare but fully debilitating (won't start OR charge!):
No Contactor "Clunk"? Reset with AlfaOBD !! (click here)

My brakes aren't that bad, & I figure I can likely download the $49 version to my phone on-the-spot IF I ever get the contactor glitch, but I'll be kicking myself if it dies somewhere with too weak a cell signal.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried the brake calibration thing and its never worked for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong but can anyone say for sure that its worked well for them? I've tried the calibration several times and it doesn't make any difference.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Users reported brake calibration success (& tips) on this thread that I also linked above:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Users reported brake calibration success (& tips) on this thread that I also linked above:

Yea thats the guide I used before. I'll give it another shot and be sure I didn't do anything wrong before.

·
Registered
216 Posts
$49 is an extremely reasonable price for all the data we can clean from our cars. It is a tool, and I don't mind paying for good tools. Also, paying for AlfaOBD keeps development of the software going forward. I really don't understand people's logic of paying $$$$ for LED lights (not a good idea), lowering their car, fancy tires and rims, changing the OEM infotainment system for a different system, etc. But when it comes to paying for a valuable tool, they cheap out. Maybe I feel this way because I am a software developer...

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Agreed except for the part about LED lights being "not a good idea": I got LED headlights because I can see MUCH better:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$49 is an extremely reasonable price for all the data we can clean from our cars. It is a tool, and I don't mind paying for good tools. Also, paying for AlfaOBD keeps development of the software going forward. I really don't understand people's logic of paying $$$$ for LED lights (not a good idea), lowering their car, fancy tires and rims, changing the OEM infotainment system for a different system, etc. But when it comes to paying for a valuable tool, they cheap out. Maybe I feel this way because I am a software developer...
Thanks ! FOR SHAMING me into buying very worthy investment! LOL...Thanks again your 100% right

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yesterday my 12V battery died, without a warning, in a very inconvenient location. So instead of having a huge pile of issues, I just went to a store, bought a new battery, installed it on the spot (you need a 10 and 14 mm sockets for that), reset the PIM low voltage error code and was on the way again. Would I not have the OBD reader, AlfaOBD and knowledge from this forum, it would be a lot scarier experience.

Anyway, this app is a great tool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday my 12V battery died, without a warning, in a very inconvenient location. So instead of having a huge pile of issues, I just went to a store, bought a new battery, installed it on the spot (you need a 10 and 14 mm sockets for that), reset the PIM low voltage error code and was on the way again. Would I not have the OBD reader, AlfaOBD and knowledge from this forum, it would be a lot scarier experience.

Anyway, this app is a great tool.
Yep...just wish they would port it over to iOS as well.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Sure, but in the meantime, if none of your friends have an old, old backup-backup Android you can borrow (I do!), you can use a tablet or laptop (as long as they're not Apple, I guess), or get a generic unlocked Android phone on Amazon for about $15. You don't need service, just connect to wifi to download the app, then connect to the car with bluetooth.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
my 12V battery died, without a warning, in a very inconvenient location.
If that happens, you can sometimes get it to start by turning off the headlight switch & dome light switches, closing all doors without locking, waiting 10 or 20 minutes & then getting in the RIGHT side to start it. If the right door is blocked, just do the waiting with the left door closed only 1 click, so that it doesn't wake up when you open it. In a real pinch you could climb in the hatch.

OR, if you'd prefer a bit of warning, you can monitor the voltage for $12.50 from Amazon or $22 from BatteryTender (click to enlarge):
Watch Light Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

& I recently discovered a $22 "BM2" bluetooth version:
Product Automotive lighting Font Gadget Audio equipment

When the resting voltage after parking without charging (at work or while sleeping) starts getting close to the 11.6V minimum required to reliably start a 500e, start shopping for a new 12V starter battery.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Does someone knows how to open BPCM file? It's from AlfaOBD file. It save such file format after data record.
I recently struggled for a while with that, & finally plugged my phone into my laptop with a data cord* & found the files here (click to enlarge):
Font Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Pattern

Let us know if that doesn't work for you, since I'm pretty sure there's at least one other option.

*Not all cords do data. One I got at the dollar store won't, but the one that came with my phone will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts