Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the car quieter, I noticed the tin backing on the amplifier is buzzing (amp to backing plate). Has anyone fixed the rattle? I'm thinking of a couple dabs of silicone cement will do the job. I'm not sure if high temp silicone will be needed.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I’ve not heard of this. My tail lamps swelled against the fender and I silicone lubed the mounting grommets and it stopped it.

But as for the amp mount, you might try this:
I had a buzzing license plate on a thumper. A small rubber grommet in the two unused lower holes stops it. They don’t touch / press against anything, just hanging off the bracket, but the settle the plate down. Might be worth the effort to even drill a couple few holes if none exist, to try it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sorry not seeing how to edit from new. phone the tail light lens squeaked as it rubbed against the fender with the exhausts vibration is what I was meaning. Auto correct put swelled.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, that might work to take up the extra space, and I could use heat resistant o-rings. Thanks.

The backing plate (heat shield?) behind the amp is a thin sheet of metal and it vibrates against the amp heat sink. With less road noise, I'm hearing little things.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that did the job. The parts house didn't have o-rings, but had plastic washers.

I pulled the 3 10mm heat shield to body nuts. The backing plate is secured w/ 4 torx screws. It has stamped "feet" but that 1/8th" gap turns it into a nice speaker for rattles. I saw a rack of thin 1/4" wide weather strip. 6 strips between amp and heat shield, attach torx, slide washers over the body studs and reattach the nuts. For now, no more rattle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts