Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just informational:
A few days ago, the front brake, passenger side, started to make a funny, grinding noise. It's not the wear indicator making the noise, but I knew I need the brake job. This would be the 3rd? brake job on mine, probably 10th or 11th brake job on 500. No biggie, as I have a brake kit sitting in my garage (a couple of years ago, I bought a whole brake kit from a member here who sold the entire, brand-new kit for super cheap (like $150 or something, front/rear discs and pads, not a cheapo kit, either)). I did the rear brake a while back (rear wears quicker), so now to the front. Here's the pics:
This is the driver's side. I think the take-off was EBC kit?
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Automotive wheel system Rim

And the following are the pads from the passenger side:
Organism Grey Gas Tints and shades Art

Human body Grey Wood Glove Art

Besides the corrosion (after all, I live in New England, and car's drive in all weather and sits outside all the time, never in a garage), it is interesting how it's wearing. This has been the pattern, that the outside pads still have plenty of life left. The wear indicator is nowhere near touching the disc on both. The inside pads show significant amount of wear in comparison. Our cars have pretty basic single piston caliper just as many cars do, but I can't say that I've seen a lot of pads wearing quite like so differently, but every single Fiat that I've worked on so far seems to do the same thing. Anyhow, if you inspect it from the outside, you probably won't be able to tell the real condition of the brakes, so when you look at the brakes, have a good look at the inside pads/disc surface.

While I was working, I replaced the handbrake cable that was not retracting properly that I posted in another thread a while ago. I had unhooked it and was driving without the driver's side parking brake for a few weeks, but that's all fixed, too.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Wow. I bought Stoptech rotors and Akebono pads a few years ago and still don’t need them. I’m at 75,000 miles on original brakes.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. I bought Stoptech rotors and Akebono pads a few years ago and still don’t need them. I’m at 75,000 miles on original brakes.
That is remarkable. Mind, I did use this car to teach autocross till just about a year and half ago, so there's that. The original brakes didn't last long at all. Even not racing, I heard some go bad as low as 24k miles, but some as high as 50-55k miles, 75k is remarkably long life, you must be very gentle on the brake. Also, I had a rear caliper failure, had to rebuild it. Honestly I was surprised that the EBC lasted this long, they seem to be pretty hit and miss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a floating caliper (slides on pins), and it's no longer floating. Since the caliper piston is only on the inside, the inside pad is the one that's wearing out prematurely. You'll need to fix the corrosion issue that has caused the caliper to not slide anymore. Contact your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a floating caliper (slides on pins), and it's no longer floating. Since the caliper piston is only on the inside, the inside pad is the one that's wearing out prematurely. You'll need to fix the corrosion issue that has caused the caliper to not slide anymore. Contact your local auto parts store.
Yeah. Due to the design of the caliper, it seems that those tend to do that a lot, especially if you live in the area where road salt usage is heavy. All Fiats that I've worked on in my area suffer from this to some degree. I'm not a huge fan of this design. Abarth has different design (as with later Pop), which is less prone to this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts