Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I drive a 2012 Fiat Pop and I love the car but I ran into a dangerous problem today. While driving I went to shift and my clutch felt stiff, suddenly I was unable to shift gears. It was impossible to press the clutch all the way in and I could only change gears when the car was turned off. The car has 30,000 miles on it and looks like new. I had it towed to the dealer using fiat roadside assistance-it took over 6 hours to be picked up. I'm devastated and am afraid that my dealer is going to tell me that this problem is not covered under warranty. I purchased this car because my last car was not reliable and I couldn't afford a money pit. She's only three years young. Any support, advice or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. -Natalie

·
Registered
518 Posts
you can bet it's a broken diaphragm in the pressure plate. Fiat used AP clutch assemblies in the early cars and they are inferior. This is NOT a wear issue, it's a defect.
On another note, this is a great time to upgrade to a lightweight flywheel and gain a ton of performance for your car

·
Registered
512 Posts
Based on the recurrence of the clutch issues I would say that this is a safety concern where the NHTSA should be involved. I would document this on their website and try to request an investigation.

·
Registered
962 Posts
you can bet it's a broken diaphragm in the pressure plate. Fiat used AP clutch assemblies in the early cars and they are inferior. This is NOT a wear issue, it's a defect.
On another note, this is a great time to upgrade to a lightweight flywheel and gain a ton of performance for your car
'..a ton of performance..??'...really now?

·
Registered
518 Posts
yes, "a ton of performance". Our dyno tests showed 9hp increase with the addition of the lightweight flywheel. But the big difference is the personality change off the line. The car launches like a beast. I'll bet it's quicker than a stock Abarth for the first 150 ft. The car's performance is completely changed even in 4th and 5th gear

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello, sorry to hear that others are having the same issue that i've had to battle over the 3.5 years i've owned my '12 sport...the same exact issue happened to me at just ~12k miles.....then again at about 38k miles.

I had to battle with my dealership (which is no longer a fiat dealership...) BOTH times to get them to cover it. thankfully they did just that both times, but not without a lot of "persuasion" in the form of getting in touch with regional controllers, and even some of the heads of Fiat USA...

If it occurs again, the only thing that I can think to do would be to invoke lemon law, based on the number of people experiencing this issue. hopefully it doesn't come to that for you or anybody else

1 - 9 of 9 Posts