Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question while ago regarding coolant for Fiat 500e. I appreciate all those who gave me helpful answers.

I have a couple of more questions.
I got Fiat 500e 2017 like two months ago.
I'm still learning electric cars.

1. I went to a Fiat mechanic a week ago. It was for a software upgrade or something. I asked the mechanic if I need to fill the coolant because it was very low. He said I don't have to because the coolant rises up when the car starts.

Here is a picture of the coolant boxes of my car. Do you think I don't have to fill anything as well..?

2. From this thread, I learned I should use the same coolant for both boxes. But why they are different in color? One looks darker than the other.

3. I went to Mofat Amazon shop it looks like they have a condensed coolant and a normal one. What should I get ..?

4. Not regarding coolants, for the last couple of days I found the five bar lights in front that indicate charging status blinking when I start the car. All the five bars blink at the same time. I looked into the manual but can't find the instructions regarding that. What makes the lights blink?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
The coolant seems to be at its proper level, Between the high and low markers on the front of the reservoir. The difference in color could be a different amount of water mixed Into the lighter colored coolant or vice versa. As for the flashing lights what I found says 2 off the lights will flash if there is a malfunction in the charging process. But all of them flashing when turned on I can find nothing about. The coolants should be either, diluted Or concentrated never seen condensed. And either one will work the difference is diluted you buy pre mixed with water, the other you have to mix before putting in the car.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
Those 2 lights that flash for charge error (nearly always fixed by cycling the charger's power, or turning off the car's charge timer) are the 2 end lights, nicknamed "goalposts".

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
I believe others have reported strange flashing patterns vanishing on their own, but if not, I'd try a 12V disconnect, or maybe 5 key cycles.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I saw an odd one on mine this week. Charger plugged in. All 5 lights on solid. None blinking. Thought it was odd, so I replugged the charge connector. It went back to normal upon replugging.

Any ideas?

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
Ya, reboot is the #1 go-to fix for any computer.

My 2013 Fiat has so far required only one 12V disconnect in over 4.5 years! That's better than my newer DVR, my even newer LG phone, newer yet Samsung phone, or even my brand new Keurig!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wasn't asking for a fix. I was just wondering what might trigger the behavior. As I said, it went back to normal simply unplugging and replugging in the charge cable.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum, and just purchased a 2017 Fiat 500e with 14,000 miles in Oregon. Vehicle came with a Fiat 500e User Guide which is a bit confusing about coolant.

Photo at the start of this thread depicts:

Battery Thermal Management Reservoir on the left.
Power Electronics Reservoir on the right.

Do both reservoirs use the same coolant ( I think the answer is "Yes")? Label on the housing of Power Electronics Reservoir says "MS-12106". However, the User Guide says MS.90032 for coolant.

I want to be super diligent in checking these fluids, and keeping them at the correct level. I just need to know:

What coolant goes in the Battery Thermal Management Reservoir?
What coolant goes in the Power Electronics Reservoir?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
My 2013 reservoir also says "MS 12106" but I don't see a numner in my 2013 User Guide.

I just see for both systems: "Mopar 10y/150k mi or equivalent." & cautions to use OAT only:

2020-06-27 12.34.38.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for this reply. It seems our User Guides are slightly different, see photo of mine.

According to a post at Amazon.com, MS.90032 is the concentrated version of MS-12106, which is the 50/50 premixed version.

I think I am good to go. I will top-off (as needed) the same coolant in both reservoirs: Mopar OAT Antifreeze/coolant MS-12106. I will be sure not to overfill them, and keep them about 1/4" above minimum.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
Looks like you figured it out. This seems to confirm your results: I just checked my Owner Manual, & it says:

"Maintain coolant (antifreeze) concentration at a minimum of 50% MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/ 150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) and distilled/deionized water for proper corrosion protection."

And also: "Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts