Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up, added another car forum to my list. Been a fan of the 500 ever since I first saw one on the tube and got extremely excited when it made it over here. Luckily for my sake I still have a car payment I want to take care of because I probably would of jumped the gun and got one by now haha. I say jumped the gun because what I really want is the Abarth edition and I hear its coming. Leaves me with a dilemma though as my plan was to pay off my current loan, save that money, make double payments on my house and than in a few short years look for my 2003+ Dodge Viper. But this car could spoil that plan for a Viper for atleast a little bit. Some might ask, why such a big jump between the types of cars? I am a small car guy, found that out after owning a few "boats" and is why I am driving what I am now which is nothing special at all but its relatively small, good on gas if I want it to be and has a good bit of power. I do want a pure sports car, and the Viper has always been a favorite so I set my goal to one day get one, why not corvette? They are everywhere hear, great cars yes, but not for me. Been a bowtie guy since i began driving, change is needed.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. Going to read up on the 500 and research much like i do with every car I am thinking of getting. Name is Chris, but because of my last name all the people who know me call me Beamer so yea, thats no relation to the BMW a give a way to that is the fact that it is not spelled the same anyway, Bimmer for car and Beemer for the bikes.

Take care everyone!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
while it certainly isn't a Viper, I went from a 500hp Charger SRT8 to the Fiat. I am also a small car guy. I've had it one week and I am not sorry I went to a smaller, much less powerful car in the least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, power is not a big thing for me, had a cavalier with the mighty 2.2 with 120hp so I am used to that and at one point a 94 eclipse with tire squeeling 90 something hp :) . Lovely thing about multiple cars, can have the fast ones and the not so fast but still fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
If I want to go fast, I hop on my ZX11.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
WELCOME to the forum! as a parts guy at a large CJD dealer, I know a bit about the Vipers. the cars are awesome BUT parts are at a premium. most everything we order is on BACKORDER. I really pity the poor guy that has an accident in his Viper and has to wait SIX MONTHS for parts. of course that's just an example. in some cases, its MUCH longer! Crossfires are the same.

go for the Abarth. its scheduled to be unveiled at the LA Auto Show in November and from what I understand, will be available early 2012. while I would LOVE to have an Abarth, the Sport fits my needs and still looks COOL! :cool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
vipers are god like in a straight line but very disappointing in the corners, the complete opposite of the 500 =)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm guessing that's probably subjective. I've ridden in a GTS (as a passenger) around VIR and can attest they corner very well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm guessing that's probably subjective. I've ridden in a GTS (as a passenger) around VIR and can attest they corner very well.
A viper corners very well compared to what 99% of people drive, its just isn't as balanced as some other cars in its class.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i spent 3 hrs in a viper today, its a great ride but in small doses, it rides like it has 2x4's instead of actual suspension :p

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Well Beamer, it's good you are self-aware about being all over the place. The 500 is a great car to drive. It is not a sports car (in the usual sense). For example, I could probably take a 25 mph freeway exit at 70mph in something like a Honda S2000 (on dry pavement). But before I would try that with a 500, would want a full racing helmet and shoulder harness. Next I would want to walk around the exit and see what I was going to roll onto.

It's also a great car to trick out with springs, tires, exhaust, etc.
What I think a lot of people miss is that it is a really fabulous city car. It's right at home in heavy traffic, it's very maneuverable. The engine design is specialized to kind of hibernate in slow traffic. So the traffic problems of modern living which ruin the experience of a high-end sports car play right into the design of the 500. If you can learn to sit back and flow with traffic, you can learn a new way of driving and the car just purrs along.

P.S. Why mess around with a Viper why not go for a M3 coupe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M3s are great, but its not want I am into I would fit right in if I did get one though, everyone loves Bimmers here. I have always loved the Viper, rode in one, drool over certain ones at big events and its one of the few up there cars that I can actually get with time. But than again my mind keeps jumping, I really want one someday but than I get thinking of other things(not just cars).

I am definitely going to look at the Abarth when its available, the car is my type of car. I love carving up corners, Viper can do that pretty good too. They are definitely not a for everyone car, thats the vette. Now if I were to come across a ZR-1 at the right price I am not saying I would not get one.

Time shall tell, just have to wait and see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts