Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get why they have a boost for the aux port but not the USB.

I don't like my USB volume soooo low and when you switch to another source your bound to blow something up!

(or have. Heart attack,,)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
114 Posts
I experience the same thing. I'm a musician and an audio engineer and this bothers me.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't get why they have a boost for the aux port but not the USB.

I don't like my USB volume soooo low and when you switch to another source your bound to blow something up!

(or have. Heart attack,,)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Fiat49:

I am unaware of any known issues with the lack of volume transferred when using the USB port. Please provide me your VIN if you like (in a private message) so I can research any technical service bulletins referencing this issue. Thanks you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
FiatCares, this is an issue with almost all of the 500s. I have a USB stick plugged into mine and I need to turn the volume from around 20 with Sirius to 30 with the USB stick to get an equivalent level. When I had my loaner 500 during service it was the same.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fiat49:

I am unaware of any known issues with the lack of volume transferred when using the USB port. Please provide me your VIN if you like (in a private message) so I can research any technical service bulletins referencing this issue. Thanks you.
I will get you the info however this has been talked about before here on the forums. a CD playing at 28 is 40 on USB iPhone 4

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ditto. I posted about this in another thread. Add to that the delay in the USB commencing playback. I've stopped listening to my iPod in the FIAT.

The sound system in general, and the TomTom/B&Me integration, have proven to be my biggest disappointment with this car.

FiatCares, this is an issue with almost all of the 500s. I have a USB stick plugged into mine and I need to turn the volume from around 20 with Sirius to 30 with the USB stick to get an equivalent level. When I had my loaner 500 during service it was the same.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I appreciate it.. Fiat Cares is looking into it for me.
Good deal, hope he finds a solution for you, I haven't tried anything but a thumbdrive myself and it liked to jump to it randomly from FM tuner or Sat so I stopped using it, also figured why not enjoy the first year of free Sat as well.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I will get you the info however this has been talked about before here on the forums. a CD playing at 28 is 40 on USB iPhone 4

Sent from my Argento 500
Fiat49: I have received your private message and appreciate you allowing me the time to research this issue for you. I have experienced the same volume issue when using an USB port in other vehicles. There may just be a characteristic difference in volume when using a source and switching back and forth. I experienced it when using an aftermarket adapter for my I-pod.. the radio volume to listen to I-pod music had to be increased. The volume on my I-pod unit itself could also affect the overall volume. When I switched back to AM/FM, I had to keep from blowing my ear drums out because the radio volume was very high. Its the same issue you may have experienced back in the day when using a tape adapter (in your tape deck) to use your cd player off the radio. I would like to think we have come a lot farther since then, but it seems that it you don't use your I-pod with an interface equipped from the factory or installed by the dealer (studio) as an accessory, users run into this volume transfer issue. There may be a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this and I will check it out for you.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

BlueEr03: I have experienced the same volume issue when using an USB port in other vehicles. There may just be a characteristic difference in volume when using a source and switching back and forth. I experienced it when using an aftermarket adapter for my I-pod.. the radio volume to listen to I-pod music had to be increased. The volume on my I-pod unit itself could also affect the overall volume. When I switched back to AM/FM, I had to keep from blowing my ear drums out because the radio volume was very high. Its the same issue you may have experienced back in the day when using a tape adapter (in your tape deck) to use your cd player off the radio. I would like to think we have come a lot farther since then, but it seems that it you don't use your I-pod with an interface equipped from the factory or installed by the dealer (studio) as an accessory, users run into this volume transfer issue. There may be a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this and I will check it out for you.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ditto. I posted about this in another thread. Add to that the delay in the USB commencing playback. I've stopped listening to my iPod in the FIAT.

The sound system in general, and the TomTom/B&Me integration, have proven to be my biggest disappointment with this car.

cakruser:

I am sorry you are experiencing this volume issue with the USB keeping you from fully enjoying the sound system and your I-pod. Have you had this checked out with your local studio? I am in the process of researching any/all related technical service bulletins (TSB's) to see if there is any fix. There may just be a characteristic volume change when utilizing different sources. I have noticed this myself when using adapters for ipods, docking stations for my receiver at home, (docking the I-pod) and portable music devices. If you use you I-pod connected to the USB port on your radio, does the adjustable volume on the I-pod make any difference with the level of volume coming through the vehicle speakers? I have also experienced this as well.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
understood. however I have used my iPhone via USB on many other vehicles volume was lower but know where near the drop in level on the Bose system on my fiat. The sound level can be adjusted thru ITunes using sound check. I have it maxed out and it's still too low. There has to be a way to bump up the preamp setting just like it is available for the Aux port.

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
453 Posts
I hadn't noticed a big difference, so I decided to do a comparison.
I have a Sport, so Bose system.
I have the SAME MP3 files on both a CDR and a USB in my car. The USB has them all, and the CD only a couple hundred. What I did was find a decent tune on the CD, then I played the exact same file from the USB drive. I then switched back and forth between the two using the "Media" button on the console. Without fail, the CDR source music was louder than the USB source music. This is the same file, both copied from my mp3 collection on my PC, so we know there is no difference in recording levels or bitrate or any of that.
Now, I won't say that it's a difference so great that I would go deaf by listening to the lower one at a good volume, and then switching to the louder one. Not by a long shot. For me, it was more like a 3-4 step difference in volume. For example, playing the same file at 20 via CDR would need the USB source increased to 23 or 24 to sound the same. Fortunately, this is not a big enough difference to be an annoyance, but it does explain why I have to adjust the volume more often than I would like. ;-)

1 - 20 of 145 Posts