Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you lose gas mileage, more wear and tear on the car; if I run it in Sport Mode for long periods? Thanks.
-Bob

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Seems like gas milage might be a little worst. I never ever really use it. Steering too stiff for me.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Since the changes affect the steering and the shifting the only potential problems I can imagine would be involving the tranny as it seems to engage firmer which actually is a good thing since it would mean less slippage (and thus lessening damaging friction), at least this would be my thoughts on it and I may be very wrong so don't think that statement is gospel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am right at 40mpg combined on my Fiat with 7100 miles on it and have used Sport mode 80% of the time.

When I forget to push the sport button it is like someone neutered the car.

Only time I use the NON sport button is when I am cruising for hours straight on a road trip. Doesn't really affect mileage much at all that I can tell.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Other people here have reported a slight hit on gas mileage. That might be because one tends to drive a bit more aggresively with Sport on. It could also mean that the increased throttle-to-engine response, as noted in the manual, equates to more fuel usage, but I don't know for sure.

Go into the dash computer and put it on instant mpg, then drive a few miles around your house. Then put it in Sport and do the same thing. See if you get any huge difference. Or drive 20 miles and see how the average changes.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I leave it off. If I get waxed by a yaris I can think to myself....good thing I didn't push the sport button! If I get waxed by a yaris and the sport button is pushed in, I can't say that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hate driving not in sport mode. It is like you press the gas pedal..... wait.... wait.... wait.... and then we go. Plus, I enjoy rolling stops in 2nd with the sport button on.

Plus, the steering just feels much better (or I have just become so accustomed to it)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I also prefer the sport mode, I wish you could just set it to be on all the time.
+1 same here. Hopefully there will be some kind of tune that would allow that be to activated by default until we press the sport button again

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I will try running it in sport. I read some other posts by members about going to higher octane gas. I jumped from 89 to 91 octane when the prices went lower and noticed improved performance and I get more miles to the tankful before refill. I'm not sure the extra miles evened out the additioanl fuel cost but the improved performance was nice. So I will try the sport mode and see how it feels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was on the highway doing around 75 in sport, I hit a groove or a bump and I had to wrestle to get the steering straight. It was fighting me for a good 5 seconds, and I was going straight!. I felt as though if I let go it would of veered into the wall.

·
Banned
762 Posts
Do you lose gas mileage, more wear and tear on the car; if I run it in Sport Mode for long periods? Thanks.
-Bob
Frankly after running in regular mode for a while, I honestly feel like there's more strain in the engine in regular mode than in Sport mode. I prefer Sport mode and if you drive carefully you'll obtain around the same mileage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From what I read sport mode increases low end torqued. That is why you notice a big difference when starting off. It does affect gas mileage, but nothing huge

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
From what I read sport mode increases low end torqued. That is why you notice a big difference when starting off. It does affect gas mileage, but nothing huge
it changes throttle mapping, so that would not increase torque.

at any given speed mpg's should be the same in sport mode as in regular.

in fact, someone posted 0-60 times in both modes and they werent any different. sport mode just allows less pedal effort for the same effect. it feels good, but doesnt actually make the car faster.

im out of sport mode most of the time....but, id like the sport steering all the time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
at any given speed mpg's should be the same in sport mode as in regular.
In an automatic sport mode makes significant changes to the transmission gear changes (gear changes are much quicker with slippage much reduced), shift points are completely remapped, and it holds lower gears for a few seconds if you were at heavy throttle and high rpm and then let off (letting you let off and get back in it without the thing shifting to a higher gear right away). So in the automatic, MPG goes down in sport mode because you are typically a gear lower than in nonsport (the thing almost never goes into 6th unless you are really moving)

This is of course in addition to the throttle response and steering.

/

1 - 20 of 57 Posts