Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I have noticed with my car, having put a decent amount of highway mileage on it is that I have a tendency to wander around my lane when on the highway. Whether this is because of the excessively light steering when not in sport mode, or the fact that our cars are narrow enough to drive two abreast in one lane I do not know. What I do know is that my new favorite thing to do on the way to work is to hit the two lane cloverleaf off ramp, jump on the brakes and load up the front tires, kiss the apex of the corner with my rear tires chirping and sliding slightly, then getting on the power hard and drifting wide on the corner exit.... all while staying in my own lane!!

This, in a nutshell, is why I love this little car... I can drive like Michael Schumacher at Monaco without the OK Highway Patrol taking my license (again). :D

What are your thoughts? Am I alone in treating my daily drive to work like an urban rally stage, or are there others who drive like I do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed this too on the highway. To me the thing should just be permanently in Sport Mode. I don't find any downside to the Sport Mode when it comes to the steering response and find the regular steering setting overly light for no good reason. I wonder if this is the sort of thing that can be changed by FIAT with just a software update down the road. Either tighten up the non-Sport steering or at least let the Sport selection stick after a re-start.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
All I've noticed, on highway sections that are cut / grooved, for rain ice or snow. There's a lot lot of vibration in the steering wheel. I'm use to driving a car, a lot smaller then the 500. The 500 tracks pretty good to me. The sport mode feel too stiff, for me steering. This feature might be good on a curvy road

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ****... Mods, can you please move this to the general discussion thread and out of the Abarth section. I was reading Abarth news and not paying attention where I was posting. Forum fail...

·
Registered
211 Posts
its a 90" wheel base car......thats why it drift's around plus the narrowish tires. most cars now days are 103" plus wheel base with 215 tires

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not really. Then again, lanes around here are NARROW. No space to wander around when most cars are the same size you are! :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
"This, in a nutshell, is why I love this little car... I can drive like Michael Schumacher at Monaco without the OK Highway Patrol taking my license (again)."

Ha ha! Exactly my thoughts. (I test drove the Mini S and decided that I would lose my license.) I dig my 500, I drive pretty mellow most of the time however, Sunday at 6 AM it's straight towards the canyon. Pulled off nearly 150 miles of twisties this past Sunday. (San Jacinto Mountains/ San Bernadino National Forest/ Angeles National Forest. Good times!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I also notice this, but it seems much more planted in sport mode. Perhaps while tightening the steering it's also holding better?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
this car DOES remind me of the most FUN car I've ever owned: an 86 Honda Civic Si. that was a blast to drive. I could just pretty much toss it anywhere I wanted and it went and stuck. all stock.....no mods. from that I moved up to an 88 CRX Si and while I loved that car, it just wasn't the same as the old Civic.

with the 500, I can do the same.....although being a new car, I'm a little be more conservative than I was with the Civic, I can tell that should I want or need to push it.....I could without worries.

F500=Fun 500! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I noticed that too pretty soon after getting my car. And I agree... why have an option of "crappy" steering or pushing a button to get much better control. But then again I have test driven a couple people who prefer the ride with sport mode off... so I guess there are those who prefer it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts