Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else impressed by the apparent reliability and build quality so far? These forums have VERY LITTLE in terms of people talking about any major problems or build quality issues. sure there are little things here and there but all in all its pretty quiet when problems are concerned :) i had a first year MINI cooper and let me tell you, the forums were lit up with problems and issues!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Anybody else impressed by the apparent reliability and build quality so far? These forums have VERY LITTLE in terms of people talking about any major problems or build quality issues. sure there are little things here and there but all in all its pretty quiet when problems are concerned :) i had a first year MINI cooper and let me tell you, the forums were lit up with problems and issues!
there were plenty of things, especially with the first few batches.

personally, i think its just way too early to make any determinations about reliability or build quality. when the cars pass 50,000 miles is when ill be interested to see how things are holding up.

im used to driving cars that go 200,000 miles with minimal repairs/issues.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Mini forums are still lit up with problems, mainly clutches and tranny's. That's why I don't own one.

I think the 500 being relatively trouble-free and in production for so long in Europe is the reason. A blueprint for success.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
What has been wrong with the first batch? I have a prima with 5000 kms and so far no issues
there were issues with the hood being misaligned, headlights misaligned and/or broken retainer clips, the side body moldings separating from the body.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
my window seals squeak. That's it. That will prob go away. My wife's BMW did the same thing new.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My hood is still mis aligned... Even after changing the hinge. My iPod jack still does not work. I still have a big light spot in the driver door. My dealersip sucks. They make me feel like I am the problem when I go there. They really don't care. South Coast Fiat in Cost Mesa California. :' (

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have 3 different rattles. One in the hatch that I managed to fix myself. One really bad one behind the speedometer and one in the driver's side B pillar right next to my head. Also I find the manual shift knob to be a little flimsy. Every time I shift gears, the upper half of the knob twists in my hand. Not a very pleasant feeling.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I used to own a Cooper S.

That was the worst car I've ever owned. I sold it at 2,000 kilometers because I couldn't stand going to the dealership every month to have something fixed. I actually had the car for less time than it was at the shop (had it for 3 months, spent 1 1/2 months at the dealership). Clutch, engine, fuel pump, oil pump, rattles, misaligned hood, cold start chatter - and the dealer even had the... nerve to tell me "oh, just stop parking uphill - most of your problems happen because the pumps don't work that well if the car's nose is higher than its tail". For the love of God, what kind of ******** engineering is that?!?!?!?

I had a Civic Si. It spent 1 or 2 days at the dealer. I owned it for 3 years. Not much more to say, the car was a jewel. Those are my best / worst cars ever.

The Fiat is actually very good. I was expecting major headaches with it. Somehow, the rattles I had went away. I have no clue why, but it happened. I have no light spots on my paint, the headlights aim where they should, the USB port works as intended... everything works just perfectly well.

To me, it's one of the best cars I've ever owned - up to this point. I'll have to see if it holds up as well as a Civic, or if it becomes a Mini Cooper in one or two years.

Somehow, I doubt it. I can't understand why people keep buying Coopers. Really, they are the Yugos of our generation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It seems the issues that first arose remain the same (hood, lights, rattles, paint, etc.) but nothing new or major has come up since then. Agreed it helps there's been 3 years of European experience but yes, there is that first year/50K mark to really see what happens. I'm also curious to see what happens long term with the mods people have been doing. All in all, I'm generally heartened by what I've heard and seen so far - eagerly awaiting my Sport Rame in the fall...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I used to own a Cooper S.

That was the worst car I've ever owned. I sold it at 2,000 kilometers because I couldn't stand going to the dealership every month to have something fixed. I actually had the car for less time than it was at the shop (had it for 3 months, spent 1 1/2 months at the dealership). Clutch, engine, fuel pump, oil pump, rattles, misaligned hood, cold start chatter - and the dealer even had the... nerve to tell me "oh, just stop parking uphill - most of your problems happen because the pumps don't work that well if the car's nose is higher than its tail". For the love of God, what kind of ******** engineering is that?!?!?!?

I had a Civic Si. It spent 1 or 2 days at the dealer. I owned it for 3 years. Not much more to say, the car was a jewel. Those are my best / worst cars ever.

The Fiat is actually very good. I was expecting major headaches with it. Somehow, the rattles I had went away. I have no clue why, but it happened. I have no light spots on my paint, the headlights aim where they should, the USB port works as intended... everything works just perfectly well.

To me, it's one of the best cars I've ever owned - up to this point. I'll have to see if it holds up as well as a Civic, or if it becomes a Mini Cooper in one or two years.

Somehow, I doubt it. I can't understand why people keep buying Coopers. Really, they are the Yugos of our generation.
I was close to buying a Cooper S convertible until I did my research and discovered their clutches were rubbish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My hood is still mis aligned... Even after changing the hinge. My iPod jack still does not work. I still have a big light spot in the driver door. My dealersip sucks. They make me feel like I am the problem when I go there. They really don't care. South Coast Fiat in Cost Mesa California. :' (
can't you go to any fiat dealership for service. There has to be another dealer in Cali.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My only issues are the left sideskirt coming off and a very faint air leak in the driver side window. The dealer would've fixed both problems on the spot (new sideskirt is in stock) if I hadn't shown up late on a Saturday (went for an oil change instead).
If someone would've told me ahead that at almost 6,500 miles the only issues were going to be those two things I would've gladly taken that deal :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've been very happy so far. I own an earlier one, I've got about 7500 miles on it at the moment.

As far as rattles... I might have a few, but I've always got the radio on, so I wouldn't hear them anyway. Besides, it's got 10,000 parts - something's going to rattle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Other than a steering vibration that has not been tracked down and a slight overbite of the hood on the right side that I am not going to do anything about for fear of making it worse, the car is perfect at 3,500 miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Trim is always a problem with any new car that comes out.

Though mechanically this car has been a ROCK!!

I have close relations to the highest volume dealer and they have not replaced any motors, tranny's, clutches etc...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts