Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about anyone else but I seem to always drive my Prima Sport in sport mode unless I forget to push that little button on the dash ;) Any cons to running sport mode all the time?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
one review i read said the sport button should say 'perfect' . I find the non sport mode almost undrivable and never use it. As far as I was told there is no harm to using it all the time

·
Registered
343 Posts
When driving an automatic, Sport mode is nasty. It holds gears far too long, and you feel the car decelerating because of it. Steering weight is nice, and throttle response are better, though.

I've learned to floor it and ignore Sport mode due to the gearbox logic.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Depends what mood I'm in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I'm thinking about it and feel sprited, I'll hit sport. But if I'm on the way to work thinking about other things or just sort of tooling around, I leave it in default eco mode. No point in lower gas mileage ( for me 2 ish less in sport) for no reason. I used to think I wanted default sport mode, but now I'm thinking they did it right. If I want to drive sprited I can choose to, otherwise, save the gas.

Reactions: Triumph

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If I'm thinking about it and feel sprited, I'll hit sport. But if I'm on the way to work thinking about other things or just sort of tooling around, I leave it in default eco mode. No point in lower gas mileage ( for me 2 ish less in sport) for no reason. I used to think I wanted default sport mode, but now I'm thinking they did it right. If I want to drive sprited I can choose to, otherwise, save the gas.
i feel the same way. i have no issues keeping up with traffic in regular mode and am getting 42+mpg. heck, i feel i can have plenty of fun in regular mode.

true, no harm staying in sport mode if gas mileage is a low priority.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always drive my PE in Sport mode and find it unsafe to drive it otherwise. I seem to stall it a lot in the the economy mode since I am use to the more responsive throttle.

I don't believe the mode has anything to do with fuel mileage. How you drive it has a lot to do with fuel mileage.

In 4000 miles I have never gotten better than 31 MPG

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am using my best "Hypermiling Techniques" for the last 300 miles of mixed highway/city driving and cant do better than 32mpg. This is normal "off rush hour traffic driving". :eek:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

That's really perplexing.

I don't have a Sport (I have a Pop) but I don't think that'd be a big issue.

From using the EVIC computer (having it display Instantaneous MPG) I've found that in low gear (especially 1st) I burn alot of gas. In fact if I'm trying to accelearte quickly or climb a hill, the Instantaneous display can drop into single digits. As such, I try to shift through the low gears quickly (according to the schedule in the manual "for good efficiency".

Regards

Pat

PS, For reference, at speed, the Instantaneous efficiency can drop into the 20's or 30's climbing hills, but is often well into the 30's, 40's or even 50's in level, constant speed driving, and Instantaneous efficiency can actually go off the scale at times, especially on gentle down grades.

When you add everything up, this ends up giving me an overall efficiency of about 33, 36 & 42 for my first three tanks of gas.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always drive my PE in Sport mode and find it unsafe to drive it otherwise. I seem to stall it a lot in the the economy mode since I am use to the more responsive throttle.

I don't believe the mode has anything to do with fuel mileage. How you drive it has a lot to do with fuel mileage.

I am generally in eco mode though sometimes in sport as I call for it, as noted above. My B trip odometer is now reading 34.6 mpg average over 2,300 miles of mixed driving, biased toward local roads and mixed terrain. I disagree with your assumption that sport mode does not impact fuel usage. The accelerator and engine operate more aggressively at all times in sport mode and results in lower fuel mileage IMO. I do agree being in sport mode affects the way you drive and further adds to the fuel mileage degradation-and the fun.

Reactions: Triumph

·
Registered
334 Posts
A previous Pop owner, now Sport owner. Sport button is on all the time unless I forget to push it. I average 42 mpg mixed driving in sport mode. Got the same with my Pop. Both got 38 mpg until the clock read over 2,000 miles, then it jumps up to over 40. Sport mode is great, and doesn't hurt gas mileage at all.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't turn on Sport mode in my Sport unless I want to accelerate quicker. It is an automatic, and I do not like the shift characteristics in sport mode, and I also don't like the shifting without sport mode. But in my Abarth ???? Sport mode always on!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have RRM Timing Controlor and the Intake so I'm already in SPORT mode. I will use it sometimes if I need better stearing response.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I use both, but almost always turn the ESC to the (partial) off setting. I usually let the car warm up in non-Sport mode, then change to Sport mode using the autostick function. BTW, Sport mode in full auto got a lot better on my car once I did the TMC Autoflash. Actually everything about the transmission got better. More torque down low, more responsiveness to the throttle, faster shifts, etc. A must-have as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To me Sport mode seems more like a placebo effect. I expect it to be more responsive so I drive harder. I don't bother with Sport mode anymore. To me, the secret to a good launch regardless of what mode you're in is controlling the RPMs properly as the clutch is released. There's a sweet spot that results in a nice acceleration without revving the engine too much and having to more slowly release the clutch (does that make sense? Maybe didn't explain that right)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can't really speak for other models (I only drive the wife's Sport very occasionally), but in my 500T there's definitely nothing placebo about it. There's a hugely noticeable lack of boost lag during acceleration as opposed to non Sport mode.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I find the throttle WAY too touchy in sport mode; it's like I hits full throttle a 2/3rds pedal...but I would prefer a "heavier" gas pedal anyway.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts