Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im most likely going to AutoX my sport this spring/summer. i looked at the auto x rules and didnt find anything about the fiat 500. I was just wondering if anyone on here has and if so how did you think it did and what class were you in. feel free to post pics of your car auto xing if you wish. I would love to see them. thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know a guy on some classification committee of the SCCA. They haven't classed the 500 yet and in fact are having a problem because the car violated some sort of rollover susceptibility criterion. Supposedly this is an outmoded formula and I would expect a resolution before the season starts in earnest.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I actually did check out running our Fiat in SCCA Solo (autocross) events. The SCCA rules official I spoke with said there is a formula as some have already stated that is used for unclassified cars such as the Fiat 500 to determine rollover susceptibility. It involves something like a vehicle height x track (width) calculation. The Fiat is flagged by this formula for SCCA purposes as requiring more information on the location of the cars center of gravity, or roll center as I recall. I believe this information is provided by the manufacturer. The car potentially meets the SCCA criteria if the car is lowered, not sure how much, and or utilizes wheel spacers to widen the track. These mods also potentially drop the car into more competitive classes that the stock Fiat may not be best suited for. Important to note that the Fiat is approved for racing in the new SCCA B Spec road racing class with minimal modifications. It is also really important to not read into this that the Fiat is some kind of rollover risk. It is not. For the purposes of SCCA Solo classification however, more information is needed from Fiat. This is simply to protect some wanna be Michael Schumacher from throwing on a set of super sticky R spec tires and then getting themselves upside down at the first right turn after a long straight. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know a guy on some classification committee of the SCCA. They haven't classed the 500 yet and in fact are having a problem because the car violated some sort of rollover susceptibility criterion. Supposedly this is an outmoded formula and I would expect a resolution before the season starts in earnest.
exact reason why i wasnt unable to run my car last summer when i got it.
if they end up approving the 500, i also plan on doing some rallyx events.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been looking into AutoX around my region.. Stated directly on the website, Fiat 500's do not qualify because of their higher center of gravity..

.. Thinking about lowering mine...

·
Registered
254 Posts
In my SCCA region, Abarths were only recently approved, but regular 500s are outlawed unless lowered. I have autoxed my Abarth with decent results. Once I get 17" wheels with wider, stickier tires I should be able to win my class.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts