Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my Fiat 500 Sport this weekend and I am trying to get rid of any fears I have. My issue right now is that I currently have about a 2 hour commute into Los Angeles with average speeds of about 15-20mph in heavy traffic. Does anyone else have on that they brave in traffic everyday as a commuter? I am looking to get the manual also... need to work out my calves in preparation.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I commute about 35 miles each way, morning takes me about 1-1:15 hours to get to work. evening drive home is 1hr. it's fun. I get a lot of people waving and asking me what kind of car, how much it was, how's the mileage

·
Registered
825 Posts
I drive 50 miles each way to work. First 30 miles are all a speed then I have about 10 miles of stop-and-go, and then about 10 miles where I never get it past 4th gear. Takes me about 75 minutes.

The car is fine. I have a manual, too. Yes, some days it's a little aggravating when it's 1st gear, 2nd gear, stop, 1st gear, stop, 1st gear, 2nd gear, 1st gear, stop. Unlike other sticks I've owned, you do need 1st gear in this car.

As far as being uncomfortable or unpleasant, it's great in that department. I don't know how close you are to a dealer, but you may want to test drive one in traffic - after 30 minutes, you'll know if it's for you.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Crack, up the 7 channel Bose/Sirius sound system. Pop open the sunroof. Turn on the bun warmers. What a super commuter car, ever morning. Couldn't be any better. Life is good in a 500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can't say I sit in traffic much. But my girlfriend and I commute together in out 500 sport auto. We put roughly 1000 miles a week on the car and no complaints. We have almost 4000 miles on it now. If anything it makes the day a bit better driving the 500. especially if you can hit a nice back road on the way home :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys, I owned a 5 speed Dodge Avenger when I first moved to LA so i am in the habit already of hanging back a few car lengths when driving my automatic Sebring now. I am buying from the Motor Village dealer in LA so I am sure I can take it in traffic on the test drive (already test driven it several times on open highway in other towns).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Crack, up the 7 channel Bose/Sirius sound system. Pop open the sunroof. Turn on the bun warmers. What a super commuter car, ever morning. Couldn't be any better. Life is good in a 500.
this^. except the manual trans sports dont have seat heat.

i commute 33 miles each way 5 days a week in my 500 sport, 0 complaints.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I commute about 13 miles, and the last 8 are in pretty heavy traffic. I leave home with the Sport in "sport" and then switch it off when the traffic thickens. Clutch is so light I don't think that will be an issue for you, and on a nice day with the sun roof back and your shades on - you will feel so cool you won't care how long it takes!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I communte nearly 60 miles to and from work each day. mostly interstate but I do have to drive a few miles in town too. I LOVE my FIAT on the road.....in town and on the interstate. even when traffic is backed up or stop and go on the highway, I'm still enjoying my ride.

I HIGHLY recommend one! :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I live in Northern VA and commute into Washington DC. Although my commute is only about about 14-15 miles a day, sometimes traffic can be kind of bad/heavy, taking an hour + to complete. As far as the ride goes though, I have no complaints with my manual Pop. I tend to shift from 1st to 2nd around 10 or 12 mph or so, and up to third at about 18 to 20mph (which I think is close to what the manual suggests for good efficiency).

So far my mpg has been fairly good even in heavy traffic.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
48 Posts
I commute in mine here in Phoenix and so far have had no problems. It's great for shooting the gap and feels surprisingly fast (for its' 101 hp). I also got a thumbs up from a dude in a Honda Element on the way to work after tinting the taillights last night...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I commute in mine here in Phoenix and so far have had no problems. It's great for shooting the gap and feels surprisingly fast (for its' 101 hp). I also got a thumbs up from a dude in a Honda Element on the way to work after tinting the taillights last night...

Let's see some pics of them tinted tails. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I commute 25 miles each way and part of it is pretty slow but I can usually leave it in second and not have to stop often or at all if I leave enough space. I also averaged 45mpg coming home tonite with no traffic lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Commute is 2 miles, I wish it were longer because there's nothing better than driving around the city with the top down. I usually take a sidetrip over to the Crissy field here in San Francisco and it's honestly the best part of my day :cool: everyone loves the car and if I'm stopped anywhere I usually have to answer a question or two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Being retired, I don't think I'm allowed to call it a "commute". I travel 5 miles 4 days a week to the elementary school where I volunteer. Sadly, it is mostly on a terrible major local highway (US 19). I would love to have had a car like this when I lived out in the country back in the 70's. Oh! Just remembered, I did -- a Fiat Spider that wouldn't start in the winter or when it was wet and under 40 degrees, something pretty common in New England.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts