Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my oil change the other day, I looked over the car in the waning sun of September and WHAT?
The rubber at the wing area looks like it is rotting. The driver's side seems to be in better shape, but this has me baffled.
The body shop I use is wondering if birds are pecking at it. Why? We have enough cats around in the neighborhood to keep them on the powerlines.
I haven't seen any cat paw residue on the hood or sunroof.
This side does face East, so the Sun does beat down on it more than the driver's side.
Has anyone in AZ or CA or NV had this show up?
Rotten rubber.jpg

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes, it's a common fail and cheap to fix. It can be fixed at home in about 15 minutes and Mopar parts are about $17, a couple less on eBay. Even at a body shop, it should be under $100. I think it's just sun, but one guy suggests it is the windshield cleaner.

A couple people have mentioned it needing to be replaced while still under warranty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yup, it's most definitely the sun drying up and cracking the cheap Mopar plastic. I have a CA car and I live in SoCal.

I replaced both of mine for $20 on eBay. don't pay a shop to do it! it's very easy.

I guess the price for the pair went up to $30 on eBay but it's still cheaper than getting them from Mopar.
and if you only need one side I think they go for about $14 each on eBay. you might as well replace both though.

Here is the link for the pair.
link for the driver's side.
link for the passenger side.

Before

After

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, had to replace mine too, the drivers side.
FYI, there are two different parts for different trim levels.
There is glossy ones for lounge and matte ones for other trims I think.
my 1957 edition required the glossy one.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The alcohol in windshield washer solvent degrades that rubber. The run off hits exactly that spot. The trim and interior components are also newer lower v.o.c. ref-formulations which dont last as well against the environment. Good idea to rinse off any residual solvent after you’ve had to use them for bug/road grime cleansing of the glass. The alcohol also damages the top strip just fore of the sunroof, if you have one. There is a detail wax from Zymöl that is targeted at protecting the more flexible paint coatings on bumper covers and that top strip. The alcohol in washer solvent and some paint care products is very drying, to paint and rubber.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, thank you KoreanAdian. I forgot to mention that. the glossy trims are also harder to find and a lot more expensive from MOPAR.

·
Registered
919 Posts
True too of course, about the sun adding to or causing this. I overlooked that not all areas use washer fluid with alcohol, but did include environmental in my post. Mine haven’t degraded yet but it is usually parked indoors. Spinning brush type car washes will also contribute to acceleration of the damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup, it's most definitely the sun drying up and cracking the cheap Mopar plastic. I have a CA car and I live in SoCal.

I replaced both of mine for $20 on eBay. don't pay a shop to do it! it's very easy.

I guess the price for the pair went up to $30 on eBay but it's still cheaper than getting them from Mopar.
and if you only need one side I think they go for about $14 each on eBay. you might as well replace both though.

View attachment 107978
Before

View attachment 107979
After
thanks, very usefull!

·
Registered
3 Posts
After my oil change the other day, I looked over the car in the waning sun of September and WHAT?
The rubber at the wing area looks like it is rotting. The driver's side seems to be in better shape, but this has me baffled.
The body shop I use is wondering if birds are pecking at it. Why? We have enough cats around in the neighborhood to keep them on the powerlines.
I haven't seen any cat paw residue on the hood or sunroof.
This side does face East, so the Sun does beat down on it more than the driver's side.
Has anyone in AZ or CA or NV had this show up? View attachment 107976

View attachment 107978
Before

View attachment 107979
After
Thanks so much for the links... mine are both needing replacement. Do you happen to have a link on how to replace? Thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
That's the reason why I regularly apply 303 protectant on plastic and rubber trims.
Good point! Regular applications of the right products do help. Door seals should be done annually in most climates, and then, or anytime it is washed/waxed, it would benefit from some protectant.

welcome to the forum @nobken!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks so much for the links... mine are both needing replacement. Do you happen to have a link on how to replace? Thanks!
here is a youtube video on installing the mirror flags @Corsirs, if you haven’t taken care of it already. I haven't viewed it but it should get you through it fine if it’s the one I’m thinking of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts