Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I FINALLY got my replacement ipod back from apple, and got to use in through the usb port for the first time about 10 minutes ago. I absolutely LOVE the interface! Works smooth and fast!

As for the ipod, i had an old 1st generation Nano, and they were all recalled because the batteries could explode or leak or something, and they sent me a refurbed new Nano back! Went from 4gb to 8gb, and its a LOT smaller lol. Probably wont ever leave the car except to add music though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
looks good!
I have ipod video 30gb set up like that. just fit in the mash pocket. =)

As you can find numbers of complains on this forum, only downside of apple product is that the volume is significantly lower than CD/USB stick or AUX input. you need to go up to 20+ to get decent sound..

But other than that, you can search through ipod, select music, play music, shuffle and all of that through your finger tip on steering wheel! so convenient!

happy driving!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im using my 6th gen iPod Classic 160gb. I have quite a few complaints about the interface, personally.

I don't like how it gives you brackets to search through for artists rather than just a simple A-Z.

I don't like how you can't select genera, THEN the artist. Once you select the Genera, it just plays whatever it feels like.

I don't like how there is no "back" function once a song is playing. To select something else, you have to start over completely.

I don't like how if you leave the controls alone for more than 3-4 seconds while searching for music, it closes out the menu and you have to start over. It makes it distracting to change songs and artists while driving... if something happens that draws your attention back to the road... you're starting over on the search.

It just seems like the only real way to make it somewhat easy is to use playlists, and I hate playlists. They work fine if you are the type that just puts music on and lets it play without wanting to change tracks, or if you have a small collection of music. If you have more than 90gb of MP3s, however, it becomes insanely inconvenient.

I actually very much miss my Alpine iDA-X001 headunit. The only reason I haven't swapped an aftermarket unit in yet is lack of money. At first, I thought I'd leave it despite the annoyances just because I like the clean factory look... but after almost 2 months of owning the car now (and spending 3-5 hours every day on the road), the annoyances have just gotten to be too much.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks good!
I have ipod video 30gb set up like that. just fit in the mash pocket. =)

As you can find numbers of complains on this forum, only downside of apple product is that the volume is significantly lower than CD/USB stick or AUX input. you need to go up to 20+ to get decent sound..

But other than that, you can search through ipod, select music, play music, shuffle and all of that through your finger tip on steering wheel! so convenient!

happy driving!
I definitely Like the way it works, and the voice operation is not bad either

Im using my 6th gen iPod Classic 160gb. I have quite a few complaints about the interface, personally.

I don't like how it gives you brackets to search through for artists rather than just a simple A-Z.

I don't like how you can't select genera, THEN the artist. Once you select the Genera, it just plays whatever it feels like.

I don't like how there is no "back" function once a song is playing. To select something else, you have to start over completely.

I don't like how if you leave the controls alone for more than 3-4 seconds while searching for music, it closes out the menu and you have to start over. It makes it distracting to change songs and artists while driving... if something happens that draws your attention back to the road... you're starting over on the search.

It just seems like the only real way to make it somewhat easy is to use playlists, and I hate playlists. They work fine if you are the type that just puts music on and lets it play without wanting to change tracks, or if you have a small collection of music. If you have more than 90gb of MP3s, however, it becomes insanely inconvenient.

I actually very much miss my Alpine iDA-X001 headunit. The only reason I haven't swapped an aftermarket unit in yet is lack of money. At first, I thought I'd leave it despite the annoyances just because I like the clean factory look... but after almost 2 months of owning the car now (and spending 3-5 hours every day on the road), the annoyances have just gotten to be too much.
I can see your complaints, but you are used to using the alpine, which was AMAZING for ipod control. That radio was nice(had it years ago in my old focus 2x cars ago), but it lacked everywhere else.

Have you been using the VR for the ipod control? You can do everything by voice, up until you have to select an artist or playlist.

I personally make playlists, and just dump the music into different categories(as my itunes is somewhat disorganized)

I can get through artists just fine though, and the fact that it separates artists into groups doesnt really bother me all that much.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have a sony walkman plugged into the audio port using a double ended headphone jack. The steering wheel controls only work with the volume and I've almost crashed twice trying to hit the Dolby button or auto-reverse.

But my mixed tape titled SummerJamz 86 is no joke. I rock that til my AAs fall out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can see your complaints, but you are used to using the alpine, which was AMAZING for ipod control. That radio was nice(had it years ago in my old focus 2x cars ago), but it lacked everywhere else.

Not everywhere else. I don't listen to the radio... EVER. IMO, radio stations are horrible. They play terrible music... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And over. ...And over.

I never used the built in amp... I've always run external amps to components, so I can't weigh in on that part of it. The processing of the headunit was nice, and as you've said... the controls are simply amazing. They perfectly mimic the iPod controls. I had that headunit for 5 years. Why get used to a sub-par headunit after 5 years of using an amazing one?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iPod thru USB has terrible sound quality. that's the most important part. interface is great. listen to the same
song on a CD the. report back!

CRAP! and I used non compressed
audio. something in the
fiat sound system
kill USB quality!!!

Sent from my Argento 500
The SQ is fine for me, but all of my mps'3 are 320kbps lossless format, so that might be the problem for you. Mine sounds just as good, if not better than cd quality.

Not everywhere else. I don't listen to the radio... EVER. IMO, radio stations are horrible. They play terrible music... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And over. ...And over.

I never used the built in amp... I've always run external amps to components, so I can't weigh in on that part of it. The processing of the headunit was nice, and as you've said... the controls are simply amazing. They perfectly mimic the iPod controls. I had that headunit for 5 years. Why get used to a sub-par headunit after 5 years of using an amazing one?
Nah, it lacked everywhere else. Low voltage pre-outs, no equalizer, lackluster sub control. It was a great idea, but it was tailored specifically for the ipod, and nothing else.

I ran a kenwood indash and a pioneer indash for a while in various cars as well, and id rather take slightly "worse" ipod control to gain sound quality and adjustability.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I run a older 60 gig classic all the time. Works great however, I have never used the interface. I guess it's time to investigate. I myself can't handle the radio for more then news and just run it on random. (50 gigs + of old punk rock, ha ha!)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a sony walkman plugged into the audio port using a double ended headphone jack. The steering wheel controls only work with the volume and I've almost crashed twice trying to hit the Dolby button or auto-reverse.

But my mixed tape titled SummerJamz 86 is no joke. I rock that til my AAs fall out.
Summerjamz 86 ROCKS! well I was only 6 but.. still rocks!

man, I still keep all my tapes since elementary school up until 1996.. good all days.. lol

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The SQ is fine for me, but all of my mps'3 are 320kbps lossless format, so that might be the problem for you. Mine sounds just as good, if not better than cd quality.
I'm using lossless and unless u have different firmware something is wrong. My USB using my iPhone 4 is about 5 digits lower in volume maybe more and requires it cranked to get a decent volume.

If I use the headphone out jack it's better quality then the dock out which should not be. If I play a song on CD and same on IPod. there is way more
clarity on the CD much fuller richer sound and gobs more bass!

Would love to know what's going on in your car that not in mine.

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
I use my ipod, and iphone 4GS, in the USB of my 500. My older ipod classic, won't work cause it has a hard drive in it. Turning up the output of the ipod will help in play back of the 500's head unit.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I use my ipod, and iphone 4GS, in the USB of my 500. My older ipod classic, won't work cause it has a hard drive in it. Turning up the output of the ipod will help in play back of the 500's head unit.
have u tried to listen to same song in a cd then thru USB. results?

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

fadelight : I understand where youre coming from.. the system only allows for sequential listening between tracks.. you cannot search from artist, to genre, to album by the steering wheel controls, unless you manually choose that album or artist through the Ipod or MP3 player first.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I use a 1st gen iTouch and it works well. The only think I don't care for vs. USB drive is that I'd rather browse the folders vs. artists/albums. That's an apple thing though. Not a fiat thing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I run a older 60 gig classic all the time. Works great however, I have never used the interface. I guess it's time to investigate. I myself can't handle the radio for more then news and just run it on random. (50 gigs + of old punk rock, ha ha!)
Hey, whatever works for ya lol. Im not a big radio fan, and while i am REALLY loving the sat. radio, the sound quality just isnt there.

I'm using lossless and unless u have different firmware something is wrong. My USB using my iPhone 4 is about 5 digits lower in volume maybe more and requires it cranked to get a decent volume.

If I use the headphone out jack it's better quality then the dock out which should not be. If I play a song on CD and same on IPod. there is way more
clarity on the CD much fuller richer sound and gobs more bass!

Would love to know what's going on in your car that not in mine.

Sent from my Argento 500
Yea idk, driving 80mph down the highway, roof open and windows down, i have no problems whatsoever.

I never place a CD in my car.
One of these days ill have to burn a cd, just to make sure the player in the car works ha

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.