Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 500 for almost a month now, but twice I've filled up at my local Shell station and the nozzle has not 'kicked off' on its own, dumping gas all over the side of my car, my shoes and the ground. :mad:

this was done at two separate pumps, so I think I can rule that out. also, I ALWAYS fill up my tank with the nozzle set on 'slow fill' so that it takes its time to fill up.

anyone else have issues? I'm concerned that this overflowing of gas will damage the vent system or cause the dreaded Check Engine Light to come on. :(

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I've filled up twice now, at a slow setting. 2 different stations. It's never happen, to me yet. Have you tried a different filling station. What type of nozzles are at the station?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for your feedback. I have filled up two other times with no problems. again, different pumps. the first time it happened I had just washed my car so I was furious and went inside to tell the cashier. she just nodded and said 'ok' and when I kept standing there she finally said 'I would offer you a car wash but its not working'. probably a good thing, as my luck my free car wash would have broken a mirror or antenna. the last time this happened I was just irrated. the car was already dirty so I just drove to my local car wash and ran it through.

·
Registered
614 Posts
thanks guys for your feedback. I have filled up two other times with no problems. again, different pumps. the first time it happened I had just washed my car so I was furious and went inside to tell the cashier. she just nodded and said 'ok' and when I kept standing there she finally said 'I would offer you a car wash but its not working'. probably a good thing, as my luck my free car wash would have broken a mirror or antenna. the last time this happened I was just irrated. the car was already dirty so I just drove to my local car wash and ran it through.
Steer clear of those cheap-o car washes, too abrasive and harsh and will ruin your finish little by little. I used to run one years ago when I worked @ Shell...one time some guy took his vette thru,
right after some dill weed had taken his red neck pickup thru...the rotating brush that goes over top of the car picked up sheet metal banding, the kind that goes around a ton of bricks,
totally shredded the guys fiberglass body. Man that guy was pissed and came out of the wash bay almost sideways to come inside and decapitate me, like it was my fault. But the sign says,
"not responsible for damage of any kind."

No way I would run a new car in anywhere near nice condition thru them.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I know of a guy locally that went through a touch-less wash and heard a loud sound, when he got out of the wash he checked his truck and found that the wash arm has smacked the rear passengers door and left a rather large dent. I'd never use the washes that have rollers or anything like it but now I am aware of potential problems from touch-less washes as well.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I wash my car with imported spring water, use a mitt made from Panda fur, and chamois it all off with my cloth made from the skin of several bald eagles.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
oh, and I have had no fueling mishaps...but I did have an Aprilia motorcycle that learned me just how bad 93 octane burns your eyes, nose, and face...with my helmet on. Never look directly into the filler hole while filling.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Italian motorcycles (or Aprilias) have tiny fuel filler holes. It's to prevent accidental diesel fill ups I presume. If fountains out like a blue whale if your pump doesn't cut off.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steer clear of those cheap-o car washes....
.......but now I am aware of potential problems from touch-less washes as well.
those gas station car washes are about the worst thing
no 'gas station' car washes for me. I use a local, brushless, one that does a great job and they have a great reputation.

as for "potential problems", I've heard that if you drive your car on the street, you might get hit by a drunk driver or might hit a huge chuckhole, damaging your suspension....or worse.

point is, everything has it's "potential problems". but I'm here to enjoy life and if an issue comes up, I'll deal with it and move on. I can't go through life afraid of what might happen. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts