Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who has had the first service let us know their experience? Wondering how the Chrysler dealer handled it and if you were satisfied? Did you have a punch list of things to fix/correct? How was that handled? Any tips for the rest of us? Thanks much. Bob

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well, my change-oil notice came on at about 4000 miles, so it went in for that. There was nothing else to address at that time (or now, 8500 miles).

I wasn't thrilled with the service manager, but the tech was good to talk with and helped me with some questions. I visited with the sales staff and they're always pleasant.

I had a flat and went to a closer service department to get a new tire and she went above and beyond, pulling a tire off one of her inventory cars because her shipment hadn't arrived yet.

Every dealer is different.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Going in tomorrow for my 1st oil change (4200 miles). I will let you know how it goes. I will say in the couple warranty services I've had their communication is horrible. I am waiting on a part from my last service 3 weeks ago. I am positive the part is in but they have yet to call...we will find out tomorrow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks. I thought the first oil change was not till 8k?
The owners manual says not to exceed 8,000 miles or six months for oil and filter changes. However, the computer will tell you when to change based on your individual driving conditons. The prompt will come on about 500 before the change is required. Changing before that prompt is not necessary.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, my change-oil notice came on at about 4000 miles, so it went in for that. There was nothing else to address at that time (or now, 8500 miles).

I wasn't thrilled with the service manager, but the tech was good to talk with and helped me with some questions. I visited with the sales staff and they're always pleasant.

I had a flat and went to a closer service department to get a new tire and she went above and beyond, pulling a tire off one of her inventory cars because her shipment hadn't arrived yet.

Every dealer is different.
That above and beyond dealership didn't happen to be Kings Fiat did it?

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I thought it was at 8,000 mile to the first oil change. Any thing earlier is really a waste of money. Older cars were around 3,000 mile New cars can go longer now, for maintenance and service. Our Honda Fit service light goes on around 7,500 miles. My smart car is at 10,000. It does use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I wonder if Fiat uses synthetic oil?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Run synthetic, i will be changing mine, myself at 1k, 4k, and every 4k after..cheap insurance...i believe that the main reason for 8k, 10k, 15k, oil change intervals is so that dealers that offer free changes dont have to do them very often and people like to hear they only need to change the oil once a year or so, so they dont have to spend the time and money at the dealer, just my 2cents after owning over 30 cars in my life...

·
Registered
614 Posts
i believe that the main reason for 8k, 10k, 15k, oil change intervals is so that dealers that offer free changes dont have to do them very often and people like to hear they only need to change the oil once a year or so,
I think you're exactly right, but if the oil light comes on, the question is, will a Studio change our oil for free
no matter what the mileage is until we hit the magical 36K plateau?

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I pay for the oil changes on my smart and Honda Fit. It get costly for synthetic oils, that out last the oils of the past. Synthetic's can go for 12,000miles. I wouldn't try it. On my older vehicles, I did change the oil about every 3,000 mile. I owned over some 40 cars. Never ever had a engine issue. New cars can go for 7-10 miles between changes now. The Fiat does have a 4-50,000 warranty. If I lived in a real dusty, cold or hot environment, I change my oil more often. The dealer 8k, 10k, 15k oil change intervals, is pretty common for today's automobiles. To change the oil in todays cars at 1k, went out in the 1970's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I pay for the oil changes on my smart and Honda Fit. It get costly for synthetic oils, that out last the oils of the past. Synthetic's can go for 12,000miles. I wouldn't try it. On my older vehicles, I did change the oil about every 3,000 mile. I owned over some 40 cars. Never ever had a engine issue. New cars can go for 7-10 miles between changes now. The Fiat does have a 4-50,000 warranty. If I lived in a real dusty, cold or hot environment, I change my oil more often. The dealer 8k, 10k, 15k oil change intervals, is pretty common for today's automobiles. To change the oil in todays cars at 1k, went out in the 1970's.
That's a fact. Today's engines are machined to much closer tolerances, the alloys are better and there are far fewer burrs left from the machining process. The filters are better and the synthetic oils last a long long time without losing their performance. So no need for the 1K oil change to get the burrs out of the motor or every 3K to rid it of burned dino oil and wear filings. Changes more often than manufacturers requirements is not a great use of $$. The common 50K + manufacturers warranties are testiment to their confidence in the oil intervals they recommend and will back up. BMW for instance calls for at least 10K mile intervals as I recall.

Reactions: smark

·
Registered
825 Posts
Deron - yes, the above and beyond visit was with Diane at King's. A little background - I had a terrible experience with the sales staff at King's, which is why I drove an additional 60 miles to purchase from Bob-Boyd in Columbus. Their sales staff was fantastic.

My next oil change will be at King's - Diane asked for a chance to win back my business, so I can do that.

As far as the free oil changes - the service manager at Boyd told me he thought those were capped at four. I haven't seen any fine print to say that, so I don't know if it's true or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, I would hope that if the free maintenance is till 3 years or 36k miles that it would include all oil changes for that period. Especially if the car alerts you via the light that an oil change is needed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well the visit hasn't started out well...scheduled my appointment for 3:30pm. Had a 2 hour drive so I left work at 1 to get here on time. Arrived at 3:17 & I could tell they were not expecting me. The service advisor said hang on and went to the managers office. That's definitely not a good sign...anyway she comes back out, 5 minutes later, and said "you had an appt.?" I replied "Yes, I scheduled it Monday morning. I wouldn't make a 2 hour drive without an appt." nothing else was said except to tell me to go wait in the waiting room. We shall see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Deron - yes, the above and beyond visit was with Diane at King's. A little background - I had a terrible experience with the sales staff at King's, which is why I drove an additional 60 miles to purchase from Bob-Boyd in Columbus. Their sales staff was fantastic.

My next oil change will be at King's - Diane asked for a chance to win back my business, so I can do that.

As far as the free oil changes - the service manager at Boyd told me he thought those were capped at four. I haven't seen any fine print to say that, so I don't know if it's true or not.
I saw where Kings Fiat had an ad on Craigslist offering lifetime oil changes, not sure if it's still posted but I'll look and will mention it at service.

I've had a very positive buying experience so far @ Kings, I'm supposed to take delivery by the end of the month after I have a custom interior installed and the windows, what little there is, tinted.

Curious...who was your sales person at Kings?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was told it is 3yrs or 8 changes I believe, so cap is 8 not 4 would be my understanding.
The service manager told me there is no limit as far as he knows but is going to verify it and let me know. I will forward this info if and when he calls.

As for my visit I was there for 2 hours for an oil change and to replace my cowl. I thought they would just replace the cover that was loose but they replaced the whole thing. They did confirm they were not expecting me. Asked who made the appt. Overall I think it took longer than it should've but not too bad seeing they were not expecting me.

Oh the dealership I use is Northside Fiat Indianapolis. The service center is a good 8 miles or better from the studio at Champion Chrysler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Joe in Dublin. Changing the oil in between the dealer services is cheap insurance against engine wear. If you drive 16K miles a year, that is two additional oil and filter changes per year. For under $100 annually, I can't go wrong. I will also use synthetic when I do my own oil changes. Since my dealer uses regular oil, I'll probably run their oil for 3K miles and the synthetic for 5K miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts