Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017, 500e
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has collected all the parts and got the camera and display working. Next we're going to install it, but where exactly at the back of the car, we have not decided.

Has anyone done this? Where did you install your camera and what path did you take for the wiring from the outside of the car in?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put mine right below the hatch latch button, top of the license plate. It was a pain running the wires through the side of the car and into the trunk hatch, but I didn't really see any other suitable alternatives.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not seeing where you mean. On my car, there's no space between the license plate mount and the chrome handle for the back door. Perhaps I need to take the license plate mount off.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
If it the factory system. You have to buy a new license plate hood with the built-in camera. And the wiring harness from the sound system to that hood.

If it’s not a factory system. There are aftermarket, Bluetooth camera’s. Which are part of a license plate bracket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son has collected all the parts and got the camera and display working. Next we're going to install it, but where exactly at the back of the car, we have not decided.

Has anyone done this? Where did you install your camera and what path did you take for the wiring from the outside of the car in?

Thanks,
Joe
I did a kit thar goes on top of license plate; then hooks up to your phone as WiFi. It’s a little inconvenient because you have to take the time to connect same every time you use it. Grabbed power from lite over plate. Install was easy and camera is just ok. I’d go another route.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a kit thar goes on top of license plate; then hooks up to your phone as WiFi. It’s a little inconvenient because you have to take the time to connect same every time you use it. Grabbed power from lite over plate. Install was easy and camera is just ok. I’d go another route.
Thanks for your note. Will stay clear of the WiFi based systems.

This comes to mind: with wire based systems, when do you turn it on and off? I imagine the standard equipment will turn the camera on when you put the car into Reverse and turn if back off when you leave Reverse by going to Drive or Park.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This comes to mind: with wire based systems, when do you turn it on and off?
Thats up to you. If you have a mirror with a screen or an aftermarket head unit the case could be made for having the camera always powered on whenever the car is. Basically gives you a digital mirror without head rest and hatch in the way. The 2018+ OE camera is a bit smarter, being powered only below ~10mph but still only appears when when you go into reverse.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
729 Posts
I put mine right below the hatch latch button, top of the license plate. It was a pain running the wires through the side of the car and into the trunk hatch, but I didn't really see any other suitable alternatives.
You could of ran the wire along the roof under the headliner, cable it through the weatherstripping openings and in through the hatch harness boot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it the factory system. You have to buy a new license plate hood with the built-in camera. And the wiring harness from the sound system to that hood.

If it’s not a factory system. There are aftermarket, Bluetooth camera’s. Which are part of a license plate bracket.

The factory system... Does it apply to the 2016 model? Can i buy the parts for it (including camera) and still add it afterwards?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Installed a very cheap Amazon/China dashcam with reversing cam under my german licence plate. Its attached to the mirror and the actual licence plate Mount so if the car is being sold, there will be no remaining damages. I didnt run the Rev cam cable thru the rubber thing on the left as that looks dangerous to do

Greetings from germany

·
Registered
2017, 500e
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
View attachment 109087
View attachment 109088

Installed a very cheap Amazon/China dashcam with reversing cam under my german licence plate. Its attached to the mirror and the actual licence plate Mount so if the car is being sold, there will be no remaining damages. I didnt run the Rev cam cable thru the rubber thing on the left as that looks dangerous to do

Greetings from germany
Very nicely done. Thanks for the example.

My ancestors are from Germany. Alsace-Lorraine. Not sure if we're related to the Kuhn's who started the Kuhn farm implement company. His name was Joe too, but I was named after my great uncle Joe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts