Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on the website, but unsure how its possible when power only gets delivered in one way...

Home power

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depends where you live. In NY I have 1:1 net metering so this would be useless. They are phasing out net metering in NY at the end of this year with my utility company. So any energy I produce in excess of what I use with solar panels- the electric company would give you less than its equivalent for the credit. Like let's say you produced 10 kwh during the day but then charge your car at peak hours during the night. You would only get a credit of 4 kwh or something less than that when you need the energy back from the grid. Right now though, I'm locked into an agreement for the next 20 years with my utility company where they have to give me an exact credit for the electricity I produce and keep that in a bank until I use it. In other states, you get a credit for less than what you produce, or it works by time of use where the energy you produce by solar is worth nothing if it's not during peak hours where the grid needs more energy. Some utility companies will charge you more per kwh if you use it during peak demand hours vs at night or whenever there is less demand.

This makes sense though because if everyone got solar, and paid the electric company less than $20 a month for just service fees, they would go out of business.

Btw Tesla is the cheapest right now. I got a bunch of quotes from different installers back in October. Tesla cut all of their advertising foot soldiers and now are at least 30% cheaper than their competition. I paid 21k for my system and Tesla is now selling that same size system for 16k: Tesla slashes solar price again, now starts at $6K, bigger systems see price increase - Electrek

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn’t talking about the solar part of it I want to know how you can use the car to power your house because as far as I can see they’re claiming that you can plug your car in and power your house with it I was under the understanding the power only goes in through that J 1772 not out. I think it’s nice to have that instead of a gas generator when you get a outage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks like the install the equipment to let you use the car to serve the load on your house like the Tesla Powerwall. You'd definitely need some equipment going to your breaker box and need to permit with your utility. Traditional utilities are going to be in real trouble here pretty soon.

The battery in the 500e is about the size of the smaller one iirc. 24kWh would have me good for 2-3 days as long as I don't run the pool pump or AC.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like the install the equipment to let you use the car to serve the load on your house like the Tesla Powerwall. You'd definitely need some equipment going to your breaker box and need to permit with your utility. Traditional utilities are going to be in real trouble here pretty soon.

The battery in the 500e is about the size of the smaller one iirc. 24kWh would have me good for 2-3 days as long as I don't run the pool pump or AC.
That’s what I want to know is how it takes power from the charge port. They car must have been retrofitted with a way to take 6.6kw from the battery and into the house power. That’s really cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wasn’t talking about the solar part of it I want to know how you can use the car to power your house because as far as I can see they’re claiming that you can plug your car in and power your house with it I was under the understanding the power only goes in through that J 1772 not out. I think it’s nice to have that instead of a gas generator when you get a outage.

I thought that too but the site just makes it look like they monitor when electricity is the cheapest or when there is less demand or the most solar production, so that your car isn't a burden to the grid. I didn't see where it said that your Fiat could power your home.

situational awareness into making better decisions for how and when to charge an electric vehicle

• Green Charging: Enables the home owner to optimize the use of renewable solar power to charge the electric vehicle, and likewise to delay charging when solar availability is limited
  • Time-of-Use Charging: Evaluates changes in utility grid peak pricing, and when solar or battery energy is limited, provides the home owner with a choice to continue charging the electric vehicle at a higher cost, or delay charging to later in the day when pricing is cheaper
  • Grid Outage: Monitors and detects power fault conditions in the utility grid connection, and informs the home owner with a choice to continue charging the electric vehicle from solar power or delay charging until utility grid is restored

·
Registered
13 Posts
The site you linked doesn't mention anything about home power from the car, it mentions monitoring the grid and giving the customer the option to stop charging until grid power is restored or continue charging from the solar system.

It would be nice to have that option, the car battery is bigger than my solar battery!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,132 Posts
Thanks for making me double-check: The title page of the site says "Vehicle-to-Home (V2H)".

That means FROM the vehicle TO the home, per twinturboz question. I've seen it more often called V2G (grid).

That doesn't necessarily mean we can actually do it, but if we could it would power my home FREE, for a week at a time, after filling up at any of my free local EV chargers :devilish:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno, this made it sound exactly like using your car as a power for your home....

Fiat 500 powering home

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The site you linked doesn't mention anything about home power from the car, it mentions monitoring the grid and giving the customer the option to stop charging until grid power is restored or continue charging from the solar system.

It would be nice to have that option, the car battery is bigger than my solar battery!
Watch the video it explains what I was trying to figure out.

Vehicle to home

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, the video that was made 6 years ago shows that. The web site that was last updated this year states:

"Developed a proof-of-concept Home Area Network (HAN) software platform to demonstrate three value add use cases:

• Green Charging: Enables the home owner to optimize the use of renewable solar power to charge the electric vehicle, and likewise to delay charging when solar availability is limited
  • Time-of-Use Charging: Evaluates changes in utility grid peak pricing, and when solar or battery energy is limited, provides the home owner with a choice to continue charging the electric vehicle at a higher cost, or delay charging to later in the day when pricing is cheaper
  • Grid Outage: Monitors and detects power fault conditions in the utility grid connection, and informs the home owner with a choice to continue charging the electric vehicle from solar power or delay charging until utility grid is restored."
Looks like they tried to make a go of it, but the specific feature that allows you to power your house from your car doesn't exist any more. It's certainly not in the text quote above.

Interestingly enough in the "learn more" section on that webpage, there is a link to a PDF document that talks about using the vehicle as a power source for the home. There is no date on that PDF document, though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, the video that was made 6 years ago shows that. The web site that was last updated this year states:

"Developed a proof-of-concept Home Area Network (HAN) software platform to demonstrate three value add use cases:

• Grid Outage: Monitors and detects power fault conditions in the utility grid connection, and informs the home owner with a choice to continue charging the electric vehicle from solar power or delay charging until utility grid is restored."
Looks like they tried to make a go of it, but the specific feature that allows you to power your house from your car doesn't exist any more. It's certainly not in the text quote above.

Interestingly enough in the "learn more" section on that webpage, there is a link to a PDF document that talks about using the vehicle as a power source for the home. There is no date on that PDF document, though.
Why’s really odd is towards the end of the video it showed the plug having the DC CCS plug on the fiat, I mean cmon why didn’t they add it as standard if it fit under the stock gas cap lid. They always claimed there wasnt enough room for the larger plug which is why it never had fast charger option.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why’s really odd is towards the end of the video it showed the plug having the DC CCS plug on the fiat, I mean cmon why didn’t they add it as standard if it fit under the stock gas cap lid. They always claimed there wasnt enough room for the larger plug which is why it never had fast charger option.

Manufacturers always claim things, and rarely are their claims true.

It may have been that they already had the plug designed for the normal J1772 and therefore there wasn't enough room (in the budget) for redesigning the plug. It could be that they didn't want to have to run heavy gauge wires from the plug through the cabin all the way to the front of the car where the battery pack wires all emerge, and didn't want to redesign the pack to accommodate heavy gauge wires tapped into the rear/side.

On a side note, has anyone else had the issue with the forum where you backspace after mistyping and the editor automatically removes the space between the word you were starting to type? (Has to be the first letter after a space, if you type X Space Y Backspace the cursor jumps to behind the X and you are left without a space) I've found it to be really annoying.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Bosch primary engineer of the 500e used to frequent the 500e Google Hangout. He explained that the test mules for the 500e did in fact have CCS charging ports. He further explained that they had a really hard time dealing with the DCFC in fault conditions which tended to cause the Power Inverter Module in the 500e to blow up. He cautioned against aftermarket fast charging addons for that reason.

I too believe that all EVs should have DCFC ports. It's one of those items that one may not need often. But when one does need it, one really needs it. To this day I still get annoyed when pulling up to an L2 alongside a DCFC and knowing that I'll have to sit much longer for my needed charge though a faster option is sitting right in front of me.

This will end up being the reason that I move on to another EV. A 500e with DCFC would satisfy all my driving needs. But alas it doesn't look like it'll ever happen.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, there was a handful of times I drove out to South County and on the way back had to stop off at a EVgo and staring at the Bolt and Spark using the DCFC and leave like 20 mins later and here I am with nothing to do for the next 3 hours 😑

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,132 Posts
A 500e with DCFC would satisfy all my driving needs. But alas it doesn't look like it'll ever happen.
This is probably not what you meant, but the 2021 500e has DCFC, at a pretty respectable 85kW, but alas it doesn't look like it'll be available in North America any time soon. We might still eventually get reliable DCFC for our existing cars if demand for it remains high, & possibly with help from new technology.

As for V2H, Sono Motors says* its upcoming Sion EV (with built-in solar-recharging & DCFC) will be set up to power a home from its battery, even though that's apparently illegal in its homeland Germany! It's also set up to charge another EV. For MY current low driving use, I'd never, ever need to plug in, in SoCal where winter sun is stronger than German summers. In fact I'd also be able to power my home non-stop 24/7 from the car!

* Scroll down about 4 pages to "Innovations", center column, "biSono": Frequently Asked Questions – Sono Motors

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a deposit in for a Fisker Ocean already so when the time comes I’ll be driving that instead. Seems that car can replace my aging Golf Wagon. The deal is to good to pass up

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone have knowledge of the actual physical components you't have to install to use the car to deliver power into your house? Like can the vehicle even discharge through the port?

Leave permitting and your utility nerc/ferc out of it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,132 Posts
Maybe not through the charge port, but almost certainly an inverter would work.

There's a guy on this group powering a crazy-powerful contest-winning sound system directly from his 500e HV batt. He might be able to give us some ideas.

& how could any utility ever catch you? "What?! Charging my house from my car?! OH! You mean I'm charging my CAR from my HOUSE! Yes, I'm doing that. Why do you ask?"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Installing the equipment requires permits. There's a process.

Physically though - can you push power through the port back out? Can you power a campsite por ejemplo?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts