Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I can handle it, and I have access to a good facility. I'll just have to take it to the dealership for an alignment afterwards. I'm hearing there is a special socket needed during the install. Is it a reverse torx socket?

Anyone who's done this install, are there any little snags to watch out for along the way? What tools are needed for the job?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I needed no such tool. I used a 6mm allen key, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm sockets, spring compressors for the removal (didn't need the compressors for the install) I might be missing a wrench in there somewhere.

Rear springs are done in 15 minutes for both. Taking your time, 30 min per side in the front. I marked my alignment before I installed my springs. It's pretty darn close now. No wandering, no drifting, no weirdness. I'll still have it aligned...but on my time.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
as for snags...none really. Just remove the two plastic rivets for the plastic windshield cover and remove the rubber hood gasket. That allows you to move the cover up enough to get a box end wrench over the nut on the top of the strut mount.

I've done springs/coilovers on several cars in the past. This was probably the easiest.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, good stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will be doing it myself and will write up a how too, since I have been chronicling all of my automotive insanity for a while.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will be doing it myself and will write up a how too, since I have been chronicling all of my automotive insanity for a while.
I just wrote mine up, and then I read this post. It's easier than one would think. Even for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts