Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bilstein has a complete suspension kit (springs/shocks/struts) for the gas 500, & Fiat's online parts list indicates the parts are interchangeable.

Anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
See my car gets 80 miles or so per charge. I like the way it handles but its improve-able. Obviously.

No fcking coil overs on these?

I'm going to check instagram. You all must be playing me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
pics or it didn't happen. I'd love to dump this car and and roll around scraping just for yucks... my commute is like 7-mile 20-30mph on a one lane road. I might have trouble in the parking garage but it would be worth it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
500madness shows several coil overs after I selected specifically 500e electric but I am suspect they are listing gasser ones as they will work. Unfortunately the spring rates aren’t correct nor will the valving if you swapped for stiffer springs.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
See my car gets 80 miles or so per charge. I like the way it handles but its improve-able. Obviously.

No fcking coil overs on these?

I'm going to check instagram. You all must be playing me.
I think the car handles just okay probably just slightly better then a Corolla, the suspension is too soft, it floats, it rolls, tires roll on its side like crazy and I just don’t have confidence in railing into a turn like I do with my MK7 Golf which absolutely rails the corners like a champ. I’m also looking for suspension options as I absolutely hate the handling it feels like cornering in a Prius.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend's '16 eGolf wasn't quite as quick as a 500e, but on my favorite offramp (marked "30mph"):

Stock 500e slides at 55mph & is pretty fun.
Stock eGolf slides at 58mph & is NO fun at ALL (boringly confident).
500e on Hankooks at 63mph & is a LOT of fun!

"It's more fun to drive a 'slow' cornering car fast, than a 'fast' one". (Road&Track, or Car&Driver, I think).

What I do NOT like is how slow the 500e has to go on bumps. eGolf basically doesn't have to slow down at all for bumps or even dips. I think I read somewhere that is comes with shocks/struts made by Bilstein, although possibly lower performance than their aftermarket units. I know the 2016 has multi-link rear suspension, but I test-drove a 2017 pretty hard with the same type of torsion beam as a 500e & it seemed about the same.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My friend's '16 eGolf wasn't quite as quick as a 500e, but on my favorite offramp (marked "30mph"):

Stock 500e slides at 55mph & is pretty fun.
Stock eGolf slides at 58mph & is NO fun at ALL (boringly confident).
500e on Hankooks at 63mph & is a LOT of fun!

"It's more fun to drive a 'slow' cornering car fast, than a 'fast' one". (Road&Track, or Car&Driver, I think).

What I do NOT like is how slow the 500e has to go on bumps. eGolf basically doesn't have to slow down at all for bumps or even dips. I think I read somewhere that is comes with shocks/struts made by Bilstein, although possibly lower performance than their aftermarket units. I know the 2016 has multi-link rear suspension, but I test-drove a 2017 pretty hard with the same type of torsion beam as a 500e & it seemed about the same.
All eGolfs are independent suspension all around the only MK7 series golf with a twist beam rear axles was the ill fated TDI models. The shocks and struts are actually made by Sachs. What I like about MK7 Golfs is the solidarity, you can drive High speed over 150mph and she’s steady and solid as a bullet train. When the suspension is sorted like mine is it corners like a scalded cat.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the correction! I had read that starting in 2017 eGolf had twist beam "independent" suspension like our Fiats, "to save space for the bigger battery". I suspect it was really just to save MONEY for the bigger battery, but either way, it appears they kept the multi-link after all.

Still, OEM 500e dampers (shocks/struts) seem to have left tons of room for improvement, especially at the rear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mk7 Golf is a superior chassis. All of those VWs are.

This car is what it is I can't change it into a Fiesta ST butI'd like a proper suspension for this car though specifically the 500e.

I think we've determined collectively the 500e factory suspension and chassis tuning was an afterthought.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mk7 Golf is a superior chassis. All of those VWs are.

This car is what it is I can't change it into a Fiesta ST butI'd like a proper suspension for this car though specifically the 500e.

I think we've determined collectively the 500e factory suspension and chassis tuning was an afterthought.
The car itself is a afterthought since it’s just a compliance car.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every time I remember that, I'm absolutely amazed at how great it turned out. Better in several ways than at least one of the non-compliance purpose-built EVs (Leaf)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its a fun little car like a lot of electric cars got it wrong. This is a car you love because of its faults.

We can improve on the suspension and looks for sure though Do you alll have like spring rates on schedules? I need to look at a service manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bilstein has a complete suspension kit (springs/shocks/struts) for the gas 500, & Fiat's online parts list indicates the parts are interchangeable.

Anyone tried it yet?
Not yet, but I'm planning on it...just want to make sure it really is interchangeable...had a problem w/ suspension compatibility for a 2012 500T...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have a spec sheet on the Bilsteins? I'm curious how it compares to the madness spring/koni setup. I'll go look at the other options but would be cool to build up a suspension thread that's 500e specific. I'm a bit of a ways off from upgrading the 500e since I just threw a bunch of money at the M3 and if I start wandering around in the Abarth section I'll just start running my mouth about my old Fiesta ST aka Blue Lightning and it won't be productive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts