Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone upgraded the horn? I searched, but didn't see any posts here... and Youtubes has limited advice.

Main Street is 4 lanes, with a turn lane in the middle. If the 500 was full sized, the left side would be gone, as a BMW M5 cut thru a tiny gap in traffic, half into the center lane and half in mine. As I slammed on brakes and swerved 6" from the truck to my right, he cut 6" in front of my car. Naturally, I hit the horn, but it was hardly noticeable with the windows up. I'm not sure he knew how close he came until he looked in his rear view... certainly didn't hear the horn.

After researching, it's probably best to keep the stock horn. (I don't want to scare children when I lock the car.) There's no room under the hood, so I assume I'll have to pull the fascia from the nose to mount the new horns. I think I have located a nice looking switch for inside. I have 2 sets of 2 horns, different frequency. I have a single wiring harness and relay, but may need 2?

Factory, it comes with a little "meep" horn. No one keeps their windows down and it cannot be heard. (It's like the old Renault Dauphine... with the horn set to city mode.) Dual horns are tuned, but don't curdle the spinal fluid. The horns are Hella, but 2 are disc horns, and 2 are rams design... and should give a bit of discordance. though I've been wondering if one pair should be replaced by an oogah horn. (Quality oogah horns are hard to come by.) I'm even considering using the loud speaker model and downloading sound bites. (Something like a loud horn, overlaid by a horror film scream, and the sound of an auto crash. <g>)

Do you have suggestions on: Where to mount a momentary switch inside. How to route wiring thru the firewall. Horn suggestions. Thoughts?

One note: Not since I drove a VW bus, back in the 70's, have I driven a car that gets less respect. Like back then, people will go 20 MPH over the speed limit to pass. (With the van, people would pass in blind corners, on 2 lane roads, to get around... with log trucks coming along every 20 minutes.)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this was interesting: https://youtu.be/lv8wqnk_TsA
Yeah, I saw that video, also. I love the R2D2 chirp byte he recorded.

I had a music horn bf you could record your own. One evening, driving the HMV Freeway (upgraded electric), I was cruising with a ground fog wafting over the fenders. When a Toyota full of kids slowed to take a look, I played the Close Encounters theme. It was one of the few times it was really useful.
crime.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went with Fiamm air trumpets ... just behind the radiator on the driver's side. Had to work from the bottom up (literally) to get in there but plenty of room. Only downside is you lose the 'beep' when you lock your doors. Everyone hears them tho... 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced mine with a 3 trumpet boat air horn I was able to squeeze behind the radiator. Once I upgrade my Abarth to a front mounted intercooler, I'll probably move the air horns to where the side mounted intercooler is now.

As it is, I still get big white Facebook buses trying to change lanes onto me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts