Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month I've been getting a loud humming from the rear of my car. It's been getting worse. It starts up around 50kmh, is brutally loud by about 80, then quiets down almost completely after 90. I can't tell which side it's coming from, though it is painfully loud over my left shoulder. There is no difference in the tone at all while turning. What I do notice is that when the suspension jiggles over an uneven surface, the humming noise will also fluctuate at the same frequency as the suspension.

I'm running a set of Marangoni winter tires and they're on their last season. The treadwear is even, nothing irregular. I tried swapping my old continentals back on which have about 30000 km of wear and are pretty much done. The sound didn't change. If anything it was louder.

I can try putting my summers with fairly new tires on, but I dont was to expose them to all the salt. And also, is it even worth it? I guess Ill have to call the dealer. Im really getting used to spending my mornings there. I just got the car back yesterday for a slew of warranty work.

I'm bummed out.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
When the weight is off the rear wheels is there any side to side shake you can get on the bearing by grabbing 9 and 3 oclock on the tire and pushing back and forth?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No play at all. Just the piercingly loud hum. Appointment booked for Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Of course let us know, maybe they were even too tight? Hopefully isolated instance of whatever is wrong...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just had a rear wheel bearing replaced under warranty at 5K miles. No noise, but I noticed oil on the brake backing plate signifying a leaking bearing seal. If I hadn't seen that, the bearing would have eventually run dry and start squealing. It's an easy warranty fix, and I would demand that they change both sides.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Take off the wheels in the rear and spin the brake rotor. If it spins endlessly and makes noise it is shot, if it just spins a few times then it is fine.

Here are some videos of my car when I had an issue with wheel bearings.

Good Bearing

Bad Bearing

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As suspected, the rear passenger bearing was shot. I took it to Fiat of Ottawa this morning and luckily they had the part in stock. I was in and out within an hour and now my little guy is rolling nice and quiet. :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel a need to chime in here. The #1 way to toast your bearings is to run low offset wheels and a lowered suspension without serious camber correction. Not saying it's bad to do, because your car looks awesome, but that's the price you pay for being slammed, or flush--in any car.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I'll plan on repacking mine with a synthetic grease when I do the brake lines, then.
They are not roller bearings with separate seals, but rather ball bearings with integrated shields. Technically the shields could be removed and the bearings re-greased, but I would opt for replacement, as it is a very standard off-the-shelf sealed bearing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts