Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
Really?
I used to own 3 automotive repair shops.
What would you like to tell me?
I will give you the symptoms, you tell me what was wrong.
OK ?
A roaring noise starting about 35 MPH and upwards.
I told fiat to fix it.
They replaced both rear wheel bearings and the noise went away.
Now you want to tell me and Fiat we were wrong ?
Please do not be so judgemental .
It makes you look biased.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but being that there is already a good bit of information in this thread.....

What part of the design has these cars eating bearings so badly? We have a 2013 Cattiva with 48k miles on it. In those 48k miles, We've replaced:
Driver Front: 1 time
Driver Rear: 2 times
Pass. Front: 1 time
Pass Rear: 3 times.

.....and the driver rear is going again.

I've never had a car that ate wheel bearings at the rate that this one does. Car is not tracked, beaten on, etc. It's a daily commuting driver. Granted, in I live New Jersey (USA), and the roads here often resemble the lunar landscape, but this isn't my first winter and certainly not my first car. Car is box stock.

So....how frequently are you all going though bearings? I'd be particularly interested to hear from other Cattiva or Abarth owners, as is the stiffened suspension combined with the "standard" bearing design partly responsible for this?

Thanks all!
-Red

60,000 miles here and No wheel bearing problems.

For the last month I've been getting a loud humming from the rear of my car. It's been getting worse. It starts up around 50kmh, is brutally loud by about 80, then quiets down almost completely after 90. I can't tell which side it's coming from, though it is painfully loud over my left shoulder. There is no difference in the tone at all while turning. What I do notice is that when the suspension jiggles over an uneven surface, the humming noise will also fluctuate at the same frequency as the suspension.

I'm running a set of Marangoni winter tires and they're on their last season. The treadwear is even, nothing irregular. I tried swapping my old continentals back on which have about 30000 km of wear and are pretty much done. The sound didn't change. If anything it was louder.

I can try putting my summers with fairly new tires on, but I dont was to expose them to all the salt. And also, is it even worth it? I guess Ill have to call the dealer. Im really getting used to spending my mornings there. I just got the car back yesterday for a slew of warranty work.

I'm bummed out.
Got the same hum on my 2012 sport. It is the rear wheel hub. You must replace both sides. Not expensive. Car will drive like a new car.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.