Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm that the auto dimming mirror wiring pre-exists in the non dimming models? I am looking to install a Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink in my 500 POP and was told that the wiring 'should' be in-place, but has anyone had the headliner off and can confirm that it is there and in-place. Thx.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for link Tweak, it was most helpful.

As Evanism put it, ( Quote: It's installed and working. I thought it would be too big as it's wider, but it's less 'tall' and the double joint allows if to be moved closer to the roof so I find it less intrusive.

I took down the front of the headliner and did not find any part of a harness 'taped up' as I have in other cars.
The only switched 12V source up there go to the sunroof switch. I tapped from the black (ground) and the one next to it (switched 12V) which think that one is black/blue stripe.

I may move the connection is I ever have to do more work around there.

The mirror came with enough wire to reach the fuse block, but with the side curtain air bags I'm wary of taking apart the A-pillar area to run it. end Quote)

So Fiat didn't go the extra inch and stash a wire harness up in the headliner. They have to toe the line on two bits worth of wire, it's all profit margin. I would still like to see a glove compartment light.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Thanks for link Tweak, it was most helpful. As Evanism put it, ( Quote: It's installed and working. I thought it would be too big as it's wider, but it's less 'tall' and the double joint allows if to be moved closer to the roof so I find it less intrusive. I took down the front of the headliner and did not find any part of a harness 'taped up' as I have in other cars. The only switched 12V source up there go to the sunroof switch. I tapped from the black (ground) and the one next to it (switched 12V) which think that one is black/blue stripe. I may move the connection is I ever have to do more work around there. The mirror came with enough wire to reach the fuse block, but with the side curtain air bags I'm wary of taking apart the A-pillar area to run it. end Quote) So Fiat didn't go the extra inch and stash a wire harness up in the headliner. They have to toe the line on two bits worth of wire, it's all profit margin. I would still like to see a glove compartment light.
There is a write-up in the DIY area for adding interior lighting to include the glove box so you may wish to check that post out. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Note that the thread tweak references doesn't talk about running separate constant and switched 12V connections, which I know the homelink versions require. He just installed a non-homelink mirror so it probably doesn't require both.I'm still waiting for an answer on installing a homelink mirror in a non-sunroof car.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Note that the thread tweak references doesn't talk about running separate constant and switched 12V connections, which I know the homelink versions require. He just installed a non-homelink mirror so it probably doesn't require both.I'm still waiting for an answer on installing a homelink mirror in a non-sunroof car.
Thanks for the extra details, not fully aware of what is required for installation so I didn't realize that. :cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can wait for the weekend, you will have your answer. Doing the deed on Sat. am.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Saturday

Finally, I was able to get around to installing my new Gentex Auto Dimming Mirror on my POP. After reading the instructions, identifying my 12V power sources, removing the trim pieces, running the wire harness, taking step-by-step pictures, writing notes, making the connections, testing the system, and imputing my gate/garage opener codes into the Homelink, three hours had past of a half hour job. The fruits of my labor can be found in the DIY Section complete with pictures. Enjoy. CU ED

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...r-mirror-homelink-installation.html#post46463

It sure is a pain in the grass when you can only upload 10 pictures per day. You'll have to wait till Sunday for the rest of them.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Saturday Finally, I was able to get around to installing my new Gentex Auto Dimming Mirror on my POP. After reading the instructions, identifying my 12V power sources, removing the trim pieces, running the wire harness, taking step-by-step pictures, writing notes, making the connections, testing the system, and imputing my gate/garage opener codes into the Homelink, three hours had past of a half hour job. The fruits of my labor can be found in the DIY Section complete with pictures. Enjoy. CU ED http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...r-mirror-homelink-installation.html#post46463 It sure is a pain in the grass when you can only upload 10 pictures per day. You'll have to wait till Sunday for the rest of them.
Hosted offsite and linked (photobucket, tinypic, etc) I did not think there was any limitations...if uploading from PC (or Mac) I have seen people mention issues with limits to pics they can upload.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i can't believe the gucci edition i got my wife doesn't come with an auto dimming mirror!
fulmitz: Yes, unfortunately, the Gucci package is more cosmetic than anything. Technically its the 500 model that doesnt come with a dimming mirror. You ll have to go aftermarket if you desire this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fulmitz: Yes, unfortunately, the Gucci package is more cosmetic than anything. Technically its the 500 model that doesnt come with a dimming mirror. You ll have to go aftermarket if you desire this.
Gentex also has aftermarket mirrors with map lights, Temperature and compass, as well as the Homelink; something which you will never see from Fiat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts