Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you just have to read all the reviews and test drive one if it is available, then make up your own mind ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Autoblog has such terrible writers. This time it has to do with facts and not their usual problems with "your" vs "you're". Here are some of the factual errors:

1. It does not have a larger engine than the regular 500. Autoblog reported that the front end is 2.7 inches longer "to make room for the larger engine" instead of "in order to make room for the twin intercoolers" or "in order to make room for the additional go-fast hardware."

2. "We'd really like some proper summer performance tires." The 17" Pirellis ARE summer tires. They're classified as "Max Performance Summer Tires" according to Tire Rack.

3. They claimed that the Mini has more space, which it does not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Autoblog has such terrible writers. This time it has to do with facts and not their usual problems with "your" vs "you're". Here are some of the factual errors:

1. It does not have a larger engine than the regular 500. Autoblog reported that the front end is 2.7 inches longer "to make room for the larger engine" instead of "in order to make room for the twin intercoolers" or "in order to make room for the additional go-fast hardware."

2. "We'd really like some proper summer performance tires." The 17" Pirellis ARE summer tires. They're classified as "Max Performance Summer Tires" according to Tire Rack.

3. They claimed that the Mini has more space, which it does not.
You're totally correct on 1. and 3.
However, the writer said his tester had the "195/45-series Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season rubber"
Link to tire rack
Pirelli makes several sku's for the Cinturato P7's, some are all-season and some summer under than name.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're totally correct on 1. and 3.
However, the writer said his tester had the "195/45-series Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season rubber"
Link to tire rack
Pirelli makes several sku's for the Cinturato P7's, some are all-season and some summer under than name.
Where does it state that it was equipped with the standard A/S tires? As I read it, their car was equipped with the white 17" wheels, which come with the 205/40 PZeros. In fact, I read elsewhere that all of the test cars at the press intro were fitted with the optional setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where does it state that it was equipped with the standard A/S tires? As I read it, their car was equipped with the white 17" wheels, which come with the 205/40 PZeros. In fact, I read elsewhere that all of the test cars at the press intro were fitted with the optional setup.
You where totally right. I read it wrong. A lot of Autoblog articles complain about All Season tires, so I just thought that this car was fitted with them as well.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Even after reading that I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on one.
They feel the same way

"But we still want the Abarth. So much. On the drive home from Spring Mountain that afternoon, we stopped at a gas station and spent the better part of ten minutes just staring at the thing, examining its lines, dissecting its design, and talking about what little tweaks we'd make once we plunked down our hard-earned cash for one. Does it make mistakes? Many. But then again, even Ms. Menghia must stumble in her high heels from time to time."

·
Registered
124 Posts
They feel the same way

"But we still want the Abarth. So much. On the drive home from Spring Mountain that afternoon, we stopped at a gas station and spent the better part of ten minutes just staring at the thing, examining its lines, dissecting its design, and talking about what little tweaks we'd make once we plunked down our hard-earned cash for one. Does it make mistakes? Many. But then again, even Ms. Menghia must stumble in her high heels from time to time."
And that right there is the beauty of italian cars and FIATs in particular. Are they perfect? No. Do you love and want one anyway? Oh you better believe it. It's not a decision you make with your head you make it with your heart.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Even after reading that I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on one.
+1 I found nothing in the article that would turn me off. In fact I'm relieved he didn't say it was a really harsh ride. People compare the Abarth to the mini s.The mini s equiped the same as an Abarth is several thousand dollars more. Mini nickles and dimes you to death for all the little extras. A better comparison for the Abarth is the base mini with sport suspension. They cost about the same. I know this because I shopped for a mini and got really tired of their screw u for the extras you really want and need type business model. The base mini with sport suspension will probably corner a little bit better than the Abarth. The Abarth will have more power and the Fiat also gives me a ton more smiles to the mile than a mini. The mini is a great little car,but it's #2 on my list.God I love my 500 and I think that the Abarth will be even better. Lets roll!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth has made a big splash, in no small part because of the racy Super Bowl commercial starring striking Romanian-Italian supermodel Catrinel Menghia. Fiat is banking on the tall, small hatchback sending some pulses soaring with its retro styling and spirited engine. Motor Trend took it for a test drive, are here’s a road map of the fine points of this sexy new machine. It was cool and I want to have one soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts