Fiat 500 Forum banner

Automatic AC....worth it?

4K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  RobR 
#1 ·
The car I was going to buy next week was sold! So 750 miles out, the only cars that match what I need (Sport, Verde Oliva, Brown interior, manual, sunroof plus a spare tire) have the auto AC package as well as the sirius satellite radio package.

The difference is $500, or I can order one and wait the "4-6 weeks" (which I don't believe)

Is the auto ac any better than the regular? Is it worth it?

#3 ·
The auto-a/c works ----- whether it's worth it or not is up to the consumer...

I don't think it's "worth it" but I got it anyhow. I liked the overall package that was on the lot and that was in it. I don't miss it at all in my truck.

#5 ·
The car I was going to buy next week was sold! So 750 miles out, the only cars that match what I need (Sport, Verde Oliva, Brown interior, manual, sunroof plus a spare tire) have the auto AC package as well as the sirius satellite radio package.

The difference is $500, or I can order one and wait the "4-6 weeks" (which I don't believe)

IMHO its worth it
Plus you don't have to wait
Plus you get Sirius commercial-free radio option
Plus you get some of the $$ back on resale/trade.

#6 ·
I'll say this, and it may seem minor, but it's annoying.

I have the manual a/c. I prefer knobs over buttons. I also start running my a/c at around 65F, so it's on a lot here in OH. I always run it all the way over on cold.

Because of that, sometimes the air coming out of the vents with the a/c off can feel as cold or colder than the a/c (I run it as a dehumidifier).

There's a little snowflake emblem on the control that lights up when you have the a/c on. The problem is, it's so faint, it's hard to tell whether it's on or not. That means I'm constantly turning it off and on, and it gets really irritating after a while.

Minor, I know, but it's always the little things that get under your skin and make you drive your car full-throttle through the farmer's market.

Ryan

#8 ·

if you do NOT choose the "Comfort & Convenience Pkg", you won't get your spare tire. I wanted a spare, so I got that package and I'm glad I did.

having the ATC is pretty cool (pardon the pun) and operates much easier than the flimsy knobs on the standard version. JMO.......:)

#11 ·
spare tire is $100 without the safety & convenience package.

the dealer I bought from is the only I found on the east coast with sunroof equipped 5 speed sports that did not have the safe & sound or safety & convenience packages. They did have the factory navigation which I think adds more to resale than push button AC.

#10 ·
I'm with you on that one. No sirius for me, thanks. Too bad it didn't have an HD Radio option. That might have been cool. If I'm going to pay to hear music, it'll be an album I own. There are way too many audio options to go paying a recurring fee for anything.

I ordered the Safety and convenience package as well. Auto AC, Alarm, and spare tire. :) That plus the sunroof is all I added to my sport.

#13 ·
I went with the auto climate and xm and I like both, not sure after the free year I will continue the xm but the auto climate is great, looks nicer, feels better quality, but long term will cost more to service possibly but resale will remain higher I'd assume so bonus. I also have quite a few other added extras which the dealer has already installed like aluminum rocker panel covers with the 500 logo and window tint possibly a few others I cannot recall. Sport model of course.

#14 ·
I also have the automatic air-conditioning option and I absolutely love it. Except for the Jeep Wrangler that I traded for the Fiat 500, every car I have owned recently had automatic air-conditioning. My Cadillac SRX has duel controls so my wife can set the temperature to suit her needs ( she like it really cold and I don't.) The Fiat 500 is way smaller so one control works fine.

#15 ·
When i get my Fiat it will have the Auto A/C the test car i drove had it and i loved being able to set it and forget it. I had a similar system on my MINI Cooper S and thats what made me want to have it on my Fiat. I hate fussing with the silly knobs and i think the auto controls also make it look nicer and feel more high end.

#16 ·
I have mine optioned out the same as the one you described. The ATC works well and IMO looks a lot better than the base unit. No regrets there.

#17 ·
Often you can't haggle on the price of the 500's but you can certainly haggle on the cost of the options. Dealers always want to move what's in inventory rather than have to order so you should work on getting the options included. Worse case you offer to meet them half way and get it for $250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.