Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had this happen to them?

was driving my automatic fiat 500 at around 40/50 mph when randomly started hearing a beeping noise and saw that the car was now in neutral, i depressed the brake and put in to drive again and it did the exact same thing, i pulled over put the car back in to drive and drove it home and it was fine...

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just curious, was there someone sitting in the passenger seat, snickering every time you got confused as to why your car shifted to neutral? That may be the source of your problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Just curious, was there someone sitting in the passenger seat, snickering every time you got confused as to why your car shifted to neutral? That may be the source of your problem.
Reminds me of teenage years with friends at the beach pushing the shifter into Neutral, hated that car so much and was glad to be rid of it and back into a manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Fiat 500 automatic with full service history. Last service full Fiat dealer service was a month ago, and I seem to be having the same problem.
Mostly seems to happen when the engine is cold.
Once the car goes into neutral it is tricky to get it back into gear, by applying break, while still driving and then putting the gear into neutral and then back to automatic.
Needless to say I have experienced some very dangerous situations with this, when trying to join a motorway and the car then slows down...
Would really like to know if anyone has a solution for this...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had the same problem and on checking the fault had registered on the cars computer memory.
Dealership (reluctantly!) have agreed that this is due to failure of an electrical gear selection component and will replace this under terms of the extended warranty ( new car in 2010).
I had to assertively point out the potential dangers of losing gears at speed before they agreed to the work (estimated at approx £500).
Did you get yours fixed?

Cheers Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Fiat 500 does this. In 2010 it dropped into neutral often and I had to get the gearbox actuator replaced-lucky it was in warranty, but it has started doing it again. This time I will be charged $3,246 to replace the gearbox actuator. I managed to get on to a technician at Fiat Australia and he couldn't guarantee the actuator wouldn't fail again. Have you had the problem happen again? Did you get it fixed and was it by getting a new gearbox actuator?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I bought a new Fiat 500 in Jan 2014 and in August it started doing exactly what you described. It's now dropped out 8 times, usually when the engine is cold. I don't feel safe in it anymore and I want to bring it back for a refund! I've taken it back to the service centre several times but they say they can't find the fault. A Fiat representative has also tried to find the fault but can't. I was so relieved to see its been happening to others. I'm going to take the Company who sold me the car to the Fair Trading tribunal to see if I can return the car. Fiat shouldn't be selling cars with major faults such as this. Can anyone give me more information on when and how this happened to them and if and how it was fixed? Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jonathon, can you speak to someone at Fiat Chrysler in Sydney Australia and let them know this is a reoccurring problem with the Fiat 500? It's randomly happening to my car which is less than 1 year old and they claim they have never heard of this happening before! I'm so relieved to read that it's just not me! Thank you so much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jonathon, can you speak to someone at Fiat Chrysler in Sydney Australia and let them know this is a reoccurring problem with the Fiat 500? It's randomly happening to my car which is less than 1 year old and they claim they have never heard of this happening before! I'm so relieved to read that it's just not me! Thank you so much
hi there Gocarrie - i was just wondering if you have heard anythign further from Fiat Australia? Do they still claim they have never heard of this happening before? Our family vehicle (a 2013 Fiat 500 in Australia) has the same defect after around 35,000 KMs. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Fiat 500 does this. In 2010 it dropped into neutral often and I had to get the gearbox actuator replaced-lucky it was in warranty, but it has started doing it again. This time I will be charged $3,246 to replace the gearbox actuator. I managed to get on to a technician at Fiat Australia and he couldn't guarantee the actuator wouldn't fail again. Have you had the problem happen again? Did you get it fixed and was it by getting a new gearbox actuator?
hi there Blaise - just wondering how/if you got your vehicle fixed by Fiat Australia? I am based in Oz and have the same problem and any feedback woudl be appreciated very much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2013 Fiat 500 does the same thing - it suddenly drops out of gear, completely loses power. It has happened while I've been travelling at high speeds, once with a truck behind me, and once while crossing over a really busy highway. It's terrifying and I'm now too scared to drive my Fiat. I've just contacted Fiat Australia to ask them to fix it. Would be grateful if anyone else in Australia could share their experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi there Blaise - just wondering how/if you got your vehicle fixed by Fiat Australia? I am based in Oz and have the same problem and any feedback woudl be appreciated very much.
Hi there, please let me know if you had any luck getting this fixed by Fiat Australia? I have the same issue and am also based in Australia.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts