Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2013 Fiat 500 does the same thing - it suddenly drops out of gear, completely loses power. It has happened while I've been travelling at high speeds, once with a truck behind me, and once while crossing over a really busy highway. It's terrifying and I'm now too scared to drive my Fiat. I've just contacted Fiat Australia to ask them to fix it. Would be grateful if anyone else in Australia could share their experience.
Hi Ange - Which department of Fiat Australia did you contact out of interest? I am about to do the same - i have also been in touch with the ACCC about this topic as it seems that this is a safety issue which warrants a recall of the vehicle. I will need to contact the Minister in Canberra to get that process looked at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just sent a written message to Fiat Australia via their customer complaint page (FIAT® Australia: Contact Us). I will follow up with a phone call hopefully tomorrow. I am going to wait to see what they say but will let them know that if it is not resolved satisfactorily, I will contact the Ombudsman, ACCC and Vic Consumer Affairs. I agree the vehicle needs to be recalled. It looks like the vehicle was recalled for this issue in the US. It is super, super dangerous. What did the ACCC say when you contacted them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The feedback was that the ACCC does not normally conduct recalls but monitors and audits recalls etc.

I will be contacting Michael McCormack (Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development) to ask him to look into the recall as it seems such a significant safety issue with this vehicle.

The ACCC also provided some helpful nformation about initiating a complaint as follows:

"If you’re unable to resolve your dispute by speaking with Fiat, write them a complaint letter. That way they’re clearly aware of the problem, what you want, and you have a record of your contact. We have a complaint letter tool on our website to help you get started.

If writing to Fiat doesn’t resolve your dispute, we would suggest you contact NSW Fair Trading. Unlike the ACCC, which focuses on broad and national issues, your local consumer protection agency may be able to help resolve your dispute by negotiating an outcome. Find out more about how to make a complaint to NSW Fair Trading on its website.

If they’re unable to help, you may need to take your complaint to your state or territory small claims tribunal."

·
Registered
5 Posts
The feedback was that the ACCC does not normally conduct recalls but monitors and audits recalls etc.

I will be contacting Michael McCormack (Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development) to ask him to look into the recall as it seems such a significant safety issue with this vehicle.

The ACCC also provided some helpful nformation about initiating a complaint as follows:

"If you’re unable to resolve your dispute by speaking with Fiat, write them a complaint letter. That way they’re clearly aware of the problem, what you want, and you have a record of your contact. We have a complaint letter tool on our website to help you get started.

If writing to Fiat doesn’t resolve your dispute, we would suggest you contact NSW Fair Trading. Unlike the ACCC, which focuses on broad and national issues, your local consumer protection agency may be able to help resolve your dispute by negotiating an outcome. Find out more about how to make a complaint to NSW Fair Trading on its website.

If they’re unable to help, you may need to take your complaint to your state or territory small claims tribunal."
Great, thanks for letting me know. I will contact the ACCC today and Michael McCormack too, if required. Do you mind keeping me posted on how you go with things?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I bought a new Fiat 500 in Jan 2014 and in August it started doing exactly what you described. It's now dropped out 8 times, usually when the engine is cold. I don't feel safe in it anymore and I want to bring it back for a refund! I've taken it back to the service centre several times but they say they can't find the fault. A Fiat representative has also tried to find the fault but can't. I was so relieved to see its been happening to others. I'm going to take the Company who sold me the car to the Fair Trading tribunal to see if I can return the car. Fiat shouldn't be selling cars with major faults such as this. Can anyone give me more information on when and how this happened to them and if and how it was fixed? Many thanks
Interested to hear all the comments on fiat 500 automatic dropping into neutral while driving, I bought one 10 days ago and this has happened twice to me, any hope of getting this resolved do you think,my garage has never ever heard of something like this happening and cannot find any faults, any suggestions, absolutely love the car but too frightened to drive it again. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interested to hear all the comments on fiat 500 automatic dropping into neutral while driving, I bought one 10 days ago and this has happened twice to me, any hope of getting this resolved do you think,my garage has never ever heard of something like this happening and cannot find any faults, any suggestions, absolutely love the car but too frightened to drive it again. Thanks.
I have contacted Fiat Australia about this (in writing, via their customer complaint section on their website). They responded very promptly, putting me in touch with my local Fiat dealer. I took the vehicle to the Fiat Dealer who said it needed a new transmission - approx $9000. They have made a claim to Fiat Australia to get it covered by them. Expecting to hear back in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hello Shirley,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent troubles. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team, we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to UK customer care for potential assistance moving forward: Contact us - Customer Care | Fiat UK. We apologize that we could not offer more assistance at this time.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a recall out for this issue. I brought my car in last month.
Many thanks for the update. I did a quick search and could not find details of the recall - my bad searching etc. Would you mind sending us a link to the recall notices and recall details?
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Shirley,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent troubles. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team, we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to UK customer care for potential assistance moving forward: Contact us - Customer Care | Fiat UK. We apologize that we could not offer more assistance at this time.
Laura
FiatCares
hi there FiatCares
I cannot find any Fiat organisations in Australia which perform a similar service to you. Are you able to point me in the right direction?
Also, I understand that there may have been official recalls in the US for this problem of the fiat 500 automatic dropping into neutral while driving. Would you be able to provide details of any applicable recalls?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great, thanks for letting me know. I will contact the ACCC today and Michael McCormack too, if required. Do you mind keeping me posted on how you go with things?
I have contacted Fiat Australia about this (in writing, via their customer complaint section on their website). They responded very promptly, putting me in touch with my local Fiat dealer. I took the vehicle to the Fiat Dealer who said it needed a new transmission - approx $9000. They have made a claim to Fiat Australia to get it covered by them. Expecting to hear back in the next couple of weeks.
hi Ange - just wondering if you have received any response from Fiat Australia so far?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts